iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Biscuits!

Started by mad murdock, January 10, 2013, 07:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad murdock

I love scratch built biscuits, and recently discovered an extremely simple and quick recipe for baking powder "drop" biscuits: 3 cups flour, 3 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 TBSP butter, 1 1/2 cups of milk. Sift dry ingredients, cut in butter, add milk, stir to sticky dough, spoonsized drops onto sheet or pan, cook in hot oven. I cook them till light brown on top, and lightly butter tops right after pulling out when done. I cook them on my cast iron griddle and large cast iron frying pan in the oven, at abt 425 deg. I want to try and find a cast iron biscuit mold, going to have to get one. These are as good as or better than rolled and cut biscuits, only quicker and easier to make. Makes about a dozen good sized biscuits.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Norm

That does sound good!

I love biscuits and sausage gravy.  :)

Chris Burchfield

I just use self-rising flour, cut in the Crisco, add buttermilk and gently fold till sticky.  I drop em by spoon into a greased 11" skillet.  @ 425° F. for 20 - 22 minutes.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

samandothers

Dang it  I have not had supper and lunch was light!  You guys are killin me.  Biscuits butter jams jellys gravy  ah man!!!! :o

Magicman

There are biscuits, and then there are BISCUITS!!

This baby almost qualifies as being a "cathead biscuit".   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Close enough, That looks some good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Maybe "looked".....past tense.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Buck

Magic, What is PatDs recipe? Think she'd share?
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Norm

Now that's a biscuit!

I'd like to have Pat's recipe too if she'd share it.

Magicman

She has a "scratch" recipe, but most "Southern" recipes use self-rising flour which includes the baking powder, salt, etc.

Her go-to recipe uses a mix:

4 cups of Pioneer biscuit mix
8 oz. sour cream
¾ cup of club soda (or sprite)
1 stick of butter.

450° oven for 15 minutes

Buck

Well Norm...mine were so good that they didnt even get a chance at a picture. 8)
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

sawguy21

Hot biscuits with butter and jam. YUM. Some years ago my friends were in Nashville on their honeymoon. She asked for more buns, when the  waitress figured out what was wanted she slapped her ample butt and replied "Honey, dems is buns" and pointing to the plate " Dems is biscuits". He still laughs about that. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Norm

Tell Pat thank you for me Lynn.  :)

Buck

mad murdock

Wow Magic!! That is/was one FINE looking biscuit!! Thanks to you and the Mrs for divulging family secrets to us. I am going to rustle up a batch this weekend 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Buck

Murdock, You will like that mold for the recipe in the op. I lost custody of one years ago. I have been intent on replacing it but I keep thinking I will find one in a sale that is already seasoned. Thanks for the kicking this thread off bud.

mad murdock

Thanks Buck, anything for a good biscuit!

mad murdock

Magicman, that is a fine recipe!! I made a batch last night, didn't have self rising flour, so I sifted 4 cups all purpose with 1 1/4 tsp baking powder per cup flour and 1/4 tsp salt per cup flour. I used store brand lemon lime pop(gotta make do with what you can get).  They turned out very nice, not being a food chemist, I think it has to do with the co2 reacting wih the baking powder, and of course the sour cream adds to the richness factor!! 8)

Magicman

Yup, Pioneer is just a brand of sifted flour, salt, and baking powder.  The sour cream, soda, and butter is what makes recipe.  I am glad that it worked for you.   food6

pappy19

Here's an even easier one:

BISCUITS MADE EASY

Basically, a two-ingredient recipe:

2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup heavy whipping cream
½ stick of butter, melted

Combine flour and whipping cream in a mixing bowl stirring until just blended. Dough will be a little stiff. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and kneed 10 times. Roll to desire thickness, about ½ inch and cut with a 2-inch round cutter.

If using a cast iron skillet or DO, melt butter in cast iron and then dip cut biscuit in butter and place in cast iron buttered side up.

Bake at 450 for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Makes about 12 biscuits.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Thank You Sponsors!