iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forecast is for mud

Started by jd540b, January 10, 2013, 06:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krieger91

Same here.  They're forecasting at least 50s for highs tomorrow, and Sunday.  I don't know about beyond that.  Either way, it's utterly horrible. I really need to work on the farm to make some extra money to fix my truck, and this is just the worst luck.  Just like the bigger companies out there and on here, we can't log if we can't get equipment out there.   :-[

1270d

Quote from: bushmechanic on January 11, 2013, 10:00:48 AM
Well could be worse you could be here on the east coast of Newfoundland where were we are having a blizzard.

I will happily take the snow. We are down to 3 or 4 inches.    Need more snow so we can get into the bogs.  18 to 24 on the ground would be nice.   Oh, and cold to. Zero anyway.   

lumberjack48

Its pretty sad when a guys not in the swamp yet. Theres only about 56 days left before road restrictions go on.

I lost a home because of this kind of weather one winter, pretty hard to make payments when you can't work.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

1270d

We ve had plenty of wood to cut but we re using up summer ground.   No way we can get into the spruce.  It was close to forty degrees the last couple days.

gwilson

Its T shirt and shorts weather in the Carolinas, not our usual January.  8)

CCC4

70 degrees Friday...got 2 1/2 in of rain yesterday...20 degrees tonight! What a mess, the ground is going to be nasty for a bit!

Bobus2003

Hasn't really got much above Freezing on the warm days in the higher elevations here.. Last couple days its been hovering 0*.. I love goin to the woods when its Sub-Zero, The limbs just pop off the tree when ya hit them with the Delimber

HiTech

The snow is going fast, nothing is froze, mud is all over. lol The upside...if it turns cold now you will really be able to go. lol SOOO much easier cutting without knee deep snow to crawl through, at least for this old fart!. lol

Al_Smith

They can talk about the mud in the swamps of Louisiana .Now let me tell you the muddy conditions that can exist in parts of Ohio can equal just about anywhere at certain times .

Fact you don't own driveways you rent them .It's a constant never ending battle hauling in stone by the hundreds of tons if it has any length to it .The stuff just gets swallowed up .

Woodboogah

Frost is almost out of the ground here, Southern NH.  This weather is depressing.  Chores around the house for a couple days I guess.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

WH_Conley

Gotta love the mud. I decided to get a cup of coffee and let my vocabulary rest a few minutes. After bottoming out a 10 ton backhoe, almost in the front yard. :(
Bill

jd540b

Today was 50 deg, pretty much killed logging for me till we get some cold.  So frustrating, to be mudded out in january....... crazy.   

loggah

This weather does suck for anyone that relies on winter ,logging, ski areas ,anywhere the economy is geared for winter. If it keeps up there wont be any maple sugaring season either,just like last year !!
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

g_man

Today is supposed to be the last warm day for us. We have not had any big rain during this so it could have been worse I guess. I am cutting on a north slope and the ground there is still frozen with even a little wet snow left. But the landing and truck road, which were great a week ago, are a quagmire being up on the flat in the sun.

rvolek

I have to give you full time loggers and anybody else who makes there living in this indusrty a lot of credit. To not be able to work every day with a steady income, and all everything revolving on what the sky looks like and what the temps are would devestate most households these days. I salute you!!
74 Timberjack 230D
JD 450 Dozer
Husky 570, 372

dsgsr

Frustrating, Why can't we get the real cold temps before we get the snow? With a few inch's of snow on the ground the cold doesn't do much good.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

Stephen Alford

So true, also takes a lot of cold to freeze through  water if there is any accumulation.

At night when your walking out ya don't notice it quite so bad.   :D

logon

beenthere

Stephen
Is that first pic a drainage ditch? or suppose to be a road? ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Stephen Alford

Some might call it a road, some might call it a ditch, in this case I best keep the the name to my self.   ::)   Some nautical term perhaps.
Generally I try to keep skid roads straight where possible and put the turns on higher ground.

An articulate machine like a skidder tends to dig a hole as it goes around a turn. This spot was pretty good till the end of Oct.

In  Nov. with all the rain I tried to drain the water to one side. 

logon

thecfarm

Looks like the sides of the "trail" is rising.  :D And will keep "rising" if things don't freeze. How's the chain on the saw liking it??  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

Rain, rain, everywhere! I went and priced a pavilion roof (like a carport, basically) to put over the sawmill. It could be installed for around $1300. Hmmmm.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Stephen Alford

Oh the "trail" good enough.   :)   WE have pretty level terrain so the arch on the skidder was lifted . But the solution to the mud/chain issue was building the shear , I guess you call it a chomper.  Now there is a rascal that demands your attention.   :D
logon

thecfarm

You built it? Probably posted pictures all ready of it. But another one would help me remember it. Hint,hint. ;)  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stephen Alford

Hey cfarm , there are pics in my gallery from years ago. I noticed I do not have one of those camera icons so you may have to go to "user gallery" . Look under  "s".  Nothing fancy just a used cylinder mounted in a piece of boiler pipe. The  shear was named "The Black Night" after a character in Monty Pythons "Quest for the Holy Grail" because the Knight had a desire to fight even after he had suffered amputations.  The name keeps the risk factor on the radar.   :)

logon

thecfarm

Stephen,you're killing me here. I only have dial up and I went to your gallery,352 pictures and 1 album.  :o That would take some time.  :D 
I like that "chomper" I saw one of them in action somewheres. I was driving along and just caught the top of a chomper behind a church. Went to just look at it and someone was there greasing it and getting ready to start it back up and run it.  ;D I talked just for a minute with him,did not want to hold him up, and told him I wanted to see it run. I stood there for a while, waved and left. I was quite impressed by it.

Thank You Sponsors!