iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new saw hit the road

Started by Dave VH, January 09, 2013, 09:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave VH

2 days ago I bought a brand new stihl 192tc.  Today on the way home from work I heard a bang, and saw my brand new saw bouncing down the road in my rearview mirror.  That loud bang was my tailgate dropping, and the rest of the noises were cars swerving to miss my brand new saw bouncing down through the intersection.  It couldn't of been one of my old beat up ones, no sir, it had to be the first one that I bought new in a long time.  That will teach me, I should stick with buying old ones and let some one else put the first scratch in it.  Luckily the saw is okay, short of a cracked handle and several scratches.  It still runs good, not even broke in yet.

Dave
I cut it twice and it's still too short

JuniperBoss

I'm sorry but I laughed my butt off when I read this. The way you said "bouncing down the road" and "cars swerving to miss my brand new saw" was just hilarious :D. But really, that's terrible. Isn't that the way things go sometimes? I feel your pain. At least it still runs though, I guess.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

Dave VH

it's all good, laugh away, what else can you do.  it's better that getting mad about it.  I laughed about it too (an hour or two later)

JuniperBoss

Ya, I suppose your taking it in stride. Quite a story, my friend.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

thecfarm

Lucky,real lucky. I use to have a stake body on my truck. I made a special box for it to ride in. Most times I would keep it in the cab. My truck did not lock so I kept a chain and a padlock and I would chain it to the metal rail under the seat. I live in a low crime area,but...... I even hated to put my saw on top of a pile of firewood. Just never know. I use to see alot of saws just in a back of a truck with no tail gate.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

Sorry about your saw problems. I keep mine up front, near the cab, and run a strap through the handles.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

AdkStihl

Quote from: clww on January 09, 2013, 10:41:09 PM
Sorry about your saw problems. I keep mine up front, near the cab, and run a strap through the handles.
]

smiley_idea
J.Miller Photography

cuterz

Been there done that. I feel your pain. :o

Bogue Chitto

I know how you feel Dave.  I ran over my new magnum stihl with a tractor.  Busted the covers all up but still runs good. ;D

lumberjack48

I always had a post bolted across the box up behind the cab. I cut slots straight down in to the post length ways, i could carry 5 saws, 034's, 044's this way. Then i had a chain that i ran though to keep honest people honest.
One of the hardest things on a saw is laying in the pickup box.

I lost my big tool box the same way, what a mess tools all over the road  :o  >:(
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

JuniperBoss

Sometimes in the heat of the summer I set my saw down under the pickup to cool down. I thought I had ran it over before, but it was just my scabbard that I almost ran over. Who needs a scabbard? I can always wrap a t-shirt around the bar to keep the dirt out and cutters from getting banged up... and myself.

Dave VH

I have a cap on my truck, so that gave me apperantly a false sense of security.
  I do love my chevys, but they all seem to have weak tailgate latches.

petefrom bearswamp

Dave
Don't travel the highways with my saws, but hav erun over my small Husky 340 twice once with my tractor and one with my ATV broke the handle both times.
We all learn(slowly) from our dumb mistakes keep you chin up!
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

JohnG28

Too bad there wasn't a camera following you. I seem to remember a very similar incident on a Stihl commercial years ago. Picked up and off to running right after the fall. :D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

JuniperBoss

There are some really funny Stihl commercials. I like Stihl.  :laugh:

deerslayer

I lost my big tool box the same way, what a mess tools all over the road  :o  >:(
[/quote]

Hmmm, I found an SK 7/16" wrench with my Volkswagen tire. Was that yours? (still have it from about 30 years ago.)
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

Ward Barnes

Now you don't have to worry about getting that first scratch on your new saw.  :snowball:

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

scully

Yup I feel your pain ! Left the yard in a big rip and dumped all 3 of my saws down the road ! And yes 1 was my new 288 husk ! It wore the scars for a long time after ! Got out of the whole deal cheap though ......
I bleed orange  .

Krieger91

I'm sorry to hear of your luck.  That would just be horrible.  I have a toolbox in the back of my pickup, and I put 5 eyebolts in it for anchor points (I know 5 is weird, I have 2 on either side, one high and one low.  The fifth is on the passenger side, spaced just right to strap a stack of 5-gallon buckets in), and I put my saws down low and run a chain through the handles and padlock it to the 2 lower eyebolts.  That way they don't go anywhere when I'm driving.

Hopefully it doesn't happen to you again, friend.

Al_Smith

I suppose over the course of a year I might average two or more machines that get squashed by sitting behind a big truck or a brush chipper. Oh they flatten saws ,blowers you name it they squash it .

The worst I ever did was back over a tool box with a little dozer once .Still have the box with tools therein some place but it will take a cutting torch to retrieve them .

Now the funniest was ole Gypo Logger who would flatten them like a pancake then put the thing on flea bay for some outragious price .

rooster 58

Dave, I can relate to you about your pain. Went to do a job this summer, taking down a hard maple and a white pine. We got to the job and I took my saws out of the truck. Grabbed the 660 and took it to the work.
   A while later I went to position the truck to pull a cable. As I was backing up I thought Gee I dont remember that stump :-\ and a hair to late I rembered what the "stump" was :embarassed: 
     After a new handle, tank, and side cover; and 325.00 :(, my 460 is ok and runs fine ::)
      I can now look back and laugh ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!