iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Leathermen

Started by horselogger50, January 09, 2013, 03:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

horselogger50

Looking to buy a leathermen tool and was wondering which one would be to purchase.

Jay C. White Cloud

The "Wingman," is the one on my belt or in my pocket most of the time.  I regrind the pliers tip, they often snap.

Good Luck,  jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

wildbill

for my last birthday raider bill bought me a leatherman wave.  i love the thing.  the knife and serrated blade can both me opened only using one hand.  the saw and file require two but neither get little use.  it fits my hand pretty well and is not awkward to use at all.  so far it has held up to use and abuse by me since mid october.

the only bad thing about it is the holster it comes with.  because mine 5-10 times a day the velcro was pulling away from the fabric.  i made a leather holster for it and that problem was solved.

raider bill has a SOG power assist.  he will have to fill you in on the details on that one as ive never really used it.  im trying to make a leather holster for it now.  (the leather and tools are to the side of the laptop and as soon as i finish here ill keep working at it)
Raider Bill's favorite son

beenthere

Quote from: Icefisher47 on January 09, 2013, 03:55:29 PM
Looking to buy a leathermen tool and was wondering which one would be to purchase.

Guess it would depend on what you plan to do with it. Got an idea,  or is "Icefisher" clue enough?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

snowstorm

i have the charge and it stood up better than the others i had. the pouch it rides in isnt much tho. the Velcro dosent last long. took one back to LL BEAN the kid at returns says is it broken? ya so he gives me a new tool pouch everything while taking it out of the plastic he pokes a staple in his finger then disaperes  for 15 mins to stop his finger from leaking and write up the accident report

Raider Bill

Quote from: wildbill on January 09, 2013, 04:04:29 PM
for my last birthday raider bill bought me a leatherman wave.  i love the thing.  the knife and serrated blade can both me opened only using one hand.  the saw and file require two but neither get little use.  it fits my hand pretty well and is not awkward to use at all.  so far it has held up to use and abuse by me since mid october.

the only bad thing about it is the holster it comes with.  because mine 5-10 times a day the velcro was pulling away from the fabric.  i made a leather holster for it and that problem was solved.

raider bill has a SOG power assist.  he will have to fill you in on the details on that one as ive never really used it.  im trying to make a leather holster for it now.  (the leather and tools are to the side of the laptop and as soon as i finish here ill keep working at it)

My SOG power Assist is a pain to deploy and close the tools including both knives [pretty much needs 2 hands] but works real nice once you do. That said I pretty much only wear it when riding [cause it looks cool  8)] so really I haven't got proficient opening it up.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

isawlogs

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on January 09, 2013, 03:58:54 PM
The "Wingman," is the one on my belt or in my pocket most of the time.  I regrind the pliers tip, they often snap.

Good Luck,  jay

Did you know that leathermen tools are warantied  and will be fixed or replaced if broken, just saying...  :P

I have four of half a dozen of them of different models, one is flair, wave, fuse and the original the others are in the shop tool boxes. All are good , they have a good knife and a good set of pliers. I always have one on my belt, yes even at weddings  ;D, never know when you will be in need of some MacGyvering!!

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

1270d

It. Might be a bad word on the leatherman thread, but I have a gerber diesel.  I love it. Easy one hand open for the pliers. All the other tools are on the outside so you don't have to unfold it to get at everything.

Maine372

I love my wave. thumb holes to open the knife blades are awesome. eventually something breaks and I get it replaces. I also go to llbean cause its close and I usually have an excuse to go there.

I order leather cases from the leatherman website. they are better than the one the wave comes with and cheap enough. they have a snap not Velcro

Jay C. White Cloud

Thank's Isawlogs, I have used it a few times.  I now just keep them stubby, since I have snapped the tips off a few times.

Regards,  jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

gspren

I have been using the Wave for several years and have done like others and got the leather sheath after the velcro died. I think you can buy it with either the leather sheath with snap or the nylon sheath with velcro, get the leather!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Magicman

I am still partial to the Original Leatherman.  I have tried a couple of the others, but they are so much larger.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

I have been carrying a Gerber multi-tool for many years.  It is easy to open and close with one hand and I probably use it 15 times a day.  The company has replaced broken ones for me in the past with no hassle.
Caveman
Caveman

thenorthman

Go with Gerber, better quality, easier to use, easier on the palm... have had both over the years, will go with Gerber from now on...
well that didn't work

samandothers

Wave! lost one but got another

Ken

I've been carrying a leatherman for many years and could not do without a multitool such as this.  After breaking a few of the implements I just return it to the shop and they send it away.  For the price of shipping I get a new one.  They are also quite a bit cheaper than they were a few years back but the quality is not as good. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

mad murdock

I have been using a Leatherman tool since about 1994. I have tried Gerber but just didn't like it near as much.  The wave is nice, like the contoured handles, don't cut into the fingers when squeezing the pliers. I carry the Surge now, it seems a bit big at first, but it is NICE!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Ed_K

Kick, got a yr before breaking the needle nose.There long enough to grind new points.I won't buy a velcro pouch ever again.
Ed K

barbender

The velcro pouches are junk, I had to buy one when my last leather one died as it was all the store had at the time. I have 2 Waves right now so that when one is broken and sent in for repair I still have one on my hip ;) I feel like I'm missing a limb if I don't have my leatherman. I do wish they would just sell the repair parts so I could have them on hand and not have to send the tool off.
Too many irons in the fire

Bogue Chitto

I have used both Gerber and Leatherman.  Both are good but I never leave home without my Gerber.  I even have it on when I go swimming.  You never know when you will need it.

Bogue Chitto

I have used both Gerber and Leatherman.  Both are good but I never leave home without my Gerber.  I even have it on when I go swimming.  You never know when you will need it.

Tree Killer

Ive always used a leatherman, I have 3 broken ones rite now tho. I have to return them for replacements. I got a SOG Twitch II for christmas its pretty slick.

Phorester

Wearing a SOG Power Lock right now.  Got it for Christmas 2011 and wear it most days.  It has a thick sturdy leather sheath with a snap closure.  I had a Victorinox with a nylon sheath also with a snap closure that I really liked.  It was about the same size as the SOG, but it was slimmer. Lost it a couple years ago, doggone it.

Used to wear a Buck folding knife with leather sheath years ago until the multitools came along. Wore an Old Timer 2-blade folding knife a little while when I was in Boy Scouts in the 60s, but although it was a good knife for that era it had a very thin leather sheath which didn't last long.

Dave Shepard

I have the Wave. I like having the choice of the straight blade that I can keep sharp, or the serrated that I can use more for scraping or rootin' around in the dirt type activities, such as digging the dirt from around grease fittings. Being able to use either blade one-handed is very important to me.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Woodboogah

I bought a gerber recoil a few years ago and I will not go back to anything else.  It is designed to open with one hand and that feature alone has been worth the money (which wasnt much, but i am cheap).  It is rugged and reliable.  I think just like everything else it comes down to personal preference. 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Krieger91

I don't know how many have said it but you can't go wrong with a Wave.  I've been carrying one for the better part of 10 years, and have never been dissapointed.  Especially the newer ones with interchangable driver bits.  It's an incredibly useful tool.  Also, all Leatherman's come with a lifetime warrantee, can't go wrong with that!

Offthebeatenpath

Like Phorester, I've had and lost a Victorinox with Nylon sheath and snap closure.  I bought another just as soon as I realized mine was never to return.  After using a number of different multi-tools, I don't think I'll buy anything but Victorinox.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Bobus2003

I have a Gerber.. Absolutly love it.

Dave VH

I've carried the same gerber for 6 or 7 years now, and use it everyday.  Ofcourse I'm on my 2nd holster
I cut it twice and it's still too short

SLawyer Dave

I've used both Gerbers and Victorinox, but I always return to the original Leatherman.  I think they are all quality tools, but the Leatherman knife keeps a better edge and for longer than any other knife I have ever bought.  The leather pouch also seems industructable.   I just used it today when I had a chain come off my Stihl.  The chain guides got dinged up, (they did not want to fit into the groove in the bar).  So the flat fold out file was a life saver, as it smoothed out the edges and dings that my round sharpening file was unable to do.  I think it is really a matter of what tool and options seems to fit your needs the best, so I would go into a cutlery/sporting store that has samples of at least these 3, and see which one you like the best in a head to head comparison.

simonmeridew

check out the 'Skeletool':   all stainless, blade opens one hand, contoured handles for the pliers, pocket clip instead of a case, cuts hard and soft wire. a little pricey
simonmeridew
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

barbender

I love my wave, but I don't think the knife blades hold an edge at all. It is really soft steel in those blades.
Too many irons in the fire

OneWithWood

Just got my replacement Letherman tool from the company in the mail yesterday.  I am gald I came across this thread.  The pliers snapped off over a year ago and I just tossed the tool in the drawer and forgat about it.  I downloaded the warranty form from the Leatherman website, filled it out and sent it in.  No questions, no problems, they just sent me a replacement!  I have had the tool for close to ten years so I was surprised they even had one to replace it with. 8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!