iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help picking out Bushes/Shrubs that will be good for a privacy border.

Started by JOE.G, January 08, 2013, 08:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE.G

Hi, I am Wondering what kind of bushes/shrubs would make a nice Privacy border around a property edge.
My Home and land sit off the road and I do live in the country, But I still would like to put bushes and or shrubs on the fence line near the road.

I am in NY and there will be a mixture of shade and sun, there are Oak,maple,fruit and Pine trees there now. I would like something that gets at least 6 foot tall, I would like it to stay green all year long but I can work around that.

So what do you suggest, There are animals, Wild and domestic along with farm animals to consider, I could Use fencing if need be. Thanks
Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

SwampDonkey

Eastern white cedar. My cousin has an 80 acre field of fir Christmas trees and along the road on the frontage is a 400 yard white cedar hedge. Only thing though, if your in an area of high deer numbers (we aren't) the hedge will be winter food. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thurlow

It's invasive (maybe against the law) and loses it leaves in the Winter, but for impenetrability (1st time I've ever typed that  ;D), nothing beats multi-flora rose.  A neighbor/friend of my Dad's generation planted some on our common fence row in '50s.  He's long gone, but I usta threaten to put something about it on his gravestone.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

alecs

I would vote for Eastern White Cedar as well, which is serving the same purpose at my house and at my folks' place.  Makes a nice thick hedge and is evergreen.  If you want to go invasive, how about Japanese Knotweed mixed in with Bamboo!   

thecfarm

alecs,welcome to the forum. I saw this in your signature line, Resurrecting a 17th Century Sawmill.
How about heading over to the sawmill and milling board and post about your work you are doing to a 17th century mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

OneWithWood

Arborvitae or EWC.  Stay away from the bamboo or you will regret it.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SwampDonkey

That bamboo musta been planted for some time. I see some around old abandoned houses that are falling in, so I'd say they musta had it planted at least as far back as the 50's if not before. I hate the stuff, I kept one patch under control here that was given to us years ago. I finally wiped it out after 25 years. Good old fashion shade from a cedar and a balsam fir tree. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Waiting 25 years to get rid of the bamboo is better than fighting it with chemicals for 40 years.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ArborJake

I don't know how long of a distance you're going but two problems with an cedar in NY are ( #1 deer ) , if your in NY there are probably plenty around you and that means fencing for winter and early spring. (#2) if you plant near apple tree's they will be suseptable to cedar apple rust.

Quote from: JOE.G on January 08, 2013, 08:50:05 PM

I am in NY and there will be a mixture of shade and sun, there are Oak,maple,fruit and Pine trees there now.

So what do you suggest, There are animals, Wild and domestic along with farm animals to consider, I could Use fencing if need be.
thick and thin lumber company. qaulity manufacturer of saw dust and slab wood.

JOE.G

Never Heard of Cedar Apple Rust, I have some Cedar trees now Unsure what type, and I have do a Have a apple orchard.
STIHL 009 1998

Jasperfield

Multiflora Rose is NOT the answer. Planting that rose is an actionable activity in most states. It would be worse than having Democrats control both houses of congress and the executive branch.

Okrafarmer

Are you too far north for Leyland cypress? That's what we use around here. It grows fast and is very bushy and visibly impenetrable. Not sure, but it may not be nearly as yummy to deer, either. I know they have planted it successfully in England (I think that was where it was developed). Maybe it would work for you. Plus, they are sterile, so no need to worry about it taking over.

Either leyland cypress or the white cedar (arborvitae, it is called in nurseries, at least around here), and if you really want your privacy, stagger them like zipper teeth in a double row, and they will really keep the looks out.  ;)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

SwampDonkey

Northern white cedar is not a vector for cedar apple rust. Eastern red cedar is however. Some apple varieties are resistant.

JOE.G

I am leaning toward arborvitae, Figured maybe I can do a row this year and then a row next year if I need to to fill in the gaps, There are trees there now, Some Pin Oaks, White Pine and a Maple. The White Pine is dieing off, every few years I take another one down.
STIHL 009 1998

Chuck White

I would suggest the White Cedar along with putting a 4-foot yard fence around it to keep the deer away.

Something like chainlink, only the cheaper stuff with the square hole in it.

Over time, the small branches will grow through it, but in winter, the deer will keep it pruned for you.

I have about 200 feet of Lilac planted along the roadside end of my property and it is now about 5 feet tall and does a nice job in the summer time when we're out in the yard a lot.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!