iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to logging - advice welcomed

Started by eashworth64, January 08, 2013, 07:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eashworth64

Hello, just joined after reading many of the interesting posts and comments. 

My two sons were out working to raise some money for college and ran into some downed black cherry trees in a backyard.  These were way too nice to cut into firewood, so we cut into 8'6" logs and now have 8 of them.  the largest is about 28" at the small end.  Some very nice logs.  One thing turns into another and they get another job taking down 2 100' oak trees that were hung about 30' in the air by a batch of 4 smaller trees underneath them.

We got these down and now have 8 12'6" very heavy oak logs and a couple of smaller ones as well.  They average about 22" in diameter, very straight logs.  We rented a trailer to get 7 of the cherry logs home, but we still have the largest cherry and all the oak to move.

We can't mill them on-site, too much to ask of the homeowners.  So.....  what is the best way to get them out of the yards without total destruction of the lawns?

We thought of renting a 5,000 lb car carrier and just winching them up

I put the pictures in an album called oak logging 1-13.

Glad to hear any advice

fishpharmer

eashworth64 welcome to forestryforum! 8)  Folks here will give you good advice, although, I'm not really sure about your best approach.  Just dLon't try to sell the logs on CL ;).
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

CCC4

Are you wanting to know how to load the logs without a loader? Try this:

Cut two poles about 6 in diameter by say 12ft long.

Notch the big ends to the side of your trailer (like an upside down V) and flatten     the little ends so they are smooth to the ground

Hook a chain on other side of trailer and run the chain back across the bed and in between the two poles.

Stretch chain out and roll a log on to the chain, toward the poles. Throw the chain back over the log to the other side of trailer and hook to vehicle. Help guide the log as it rolls up the poles on the trailer.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to remind you to cut standards for the other side of trailer (so logs don't roll back off)

Shotgun

Quote from: CCC4 on January 08, 2013, 08:02:05 PM
Are you wanting to know how to load the logs without a loader? Try this:

Cut two poles about 6 in diameter by say 12ft long.

Notch the big ends to the side of your trailer (like an upside down V) and flatten     the little ends so they are smooth to the ground

Hook a chain on other side of trailer and run the chain back across the bed and in between the two poles.

Stretch chain out and roll a log on to the chain, toward the poles. Throw the chain back over the log to the other side of trailer and hook to vehicle. Help guide the log as it rolls up the poles on the trailer.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to remind you to cut standards for the other side of trailer (so logs don't roll back off)

You can find a description and a video of that method in the Forestry Forum Dictionary under "parbuckle" or "cross haul".  Good job of describing it, though.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

CCC4

Tried and true. I have also rolled whopper ERC up on to 1 tons by myself with the pole method...got to do something when you work mostly by yourself.

jdtuttle

Sponsor to the left, Logrite have log arches so you don't tear up the yard.
http://www.logrite.com/store/Item/tractor-arches
Have a great day

Tree Killer

eashworth64 Welcome to the Forum. Good luck with getting those logs loaded, sounds like CCC4 had a good idea.

eashworth64

Thanks for the advice, we are going to work on this weekend. My guess is we are going to try and winch straight in before trying to engineer around the wheel of the trailer to parbuckle.

If the straight in winching doesn't work, we will probably weld up a more permanent parbuckle system.  I don't know how much a 12'6" red oak log that is about 25" on the small end, but it is heavy!

eashworth64

eashworth64

beenthere

Quotehow much a 12'6" red oak log that is about 25" on the small end,

According to the tool box here on the forum, about 3,000#
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Autocar

Years ago I use to take a wheelbarrow [ Just the metal tub ] and cut a hole for the chocker,then I would roll the log into the metal tub,put the chocker on the log then thread the chocker though the hole and start winching. The metal tub would slid along and never cut into the ground. Goodluck and welcome to the forum.
Bill

rooster 58

Some lookin logs ya got there, I mean they're just ok, ya oughta bring 'em over to me. I'll dispose of them forya ;)

Thank You Sponsors!