iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finding a forester?

Started by JohnM, January 08, 2013, 02:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnM

I want to develop a plan for my woodlot but where does one start?  I've done a minor amount of research but figured I'd ask here as well.  I know that calling the state forestry dept. is a start, believe I've been told they will send a state forester for a free 'walk about'/assessment and then get a few names from him/her.  Are there other options, questions, 'things' I should be aware of?

This is not much of a plot, 30 mostly wooded acres with a mix of hard & soft wood (red/white pine, ash, red/white oak, rock maple, birch and a few others).  Basically just want to manage for wildlife, firewood and (hopefully soon!) milling lumber for projects.  The land was professionally logged 5-6yrs ago and everyone was very happy with the results.  The forester on that job is a friend of my brothers (they both went to UMaine for the forestry program, the friend became a forester, my brother eventually became a construction project manager on Long Island... ??? ::)).  I like the forester well enough but he's not who I want to work with on this.  My brother doesn't think I need a 'plan' but his background is in this stuff, mine is not. 

Maybe I am over thinking it but wanted some thoughts anyway.  Thanks in advance! :)

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Holmes

I say start  with the state forester. Every morsel of info you get will help you make decisions on how and what you will do.
Sawmill & Woodlot magazine has published lots of info that you may find helpful. It's a great publication.
Think like a farmer.

JohnM

I keep meaning to get a sub to S&W, never seem to get past the 'thinking about it' part. :-[ ::)

Thanks, Holmes.

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

KBforester

Hi John,

I'm located in your area. Although, 'Eastern Maine' is a big area. State foresters are a great help to get the ball rolling. Feel free to give me a PM if you think I can help any.
Trees are good.

Phorester

Yep, get a forester to write a management plan with you.  I say "with you" to make the point that the forester needs to take into account your ideas and goals for your woodlands. 

In my forester opinion a plan should consists of two parts: 50% is the biological side of the forest; tree species present, ages, growth rates, soils, insect and disease problems, commercial quality, etc.  The other 50% is what the landowner wants from his woodlands: income, hunting, hiking, fishing, scenic value, future income, a healthy forest for his heirs, investment to sell in the future, etc.  Several of these goals can be had together on most properties, maybe devoting different areas of the property to each use.

JohnM

KB I'll shoot you a PM when I get a minute.  I see you are 'truly' downeast not one of the Ellsworth area posers. ;) :D  My father's side of the family is from Washington County, he was born in Cutler but they only lived there for his first year.  And my wife and I lived in Machiasport for 6 months after moving back to the state 12yrs ago.  Beautiful area of the state but man it's a hardscrabble life.  We're on the Airline in Clifton now.

Phorester, good advice, thank you.  It's basically what I was thinking but it's good to get confirmation on these things. :)

JM

Thank You Sponsors!