iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White Pine Sawlogs

Started by Rick Stanley, January 08, 2013, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Stanley

How long can white pine sawlogs be left on the landing before hauling to the mill? I have a small amount of standing pine that I want to cut myself. I'm old and slow but the mills aren't paying much right now anyway. However, it is on soft ground and needs to be worked in cold weather. So I want to know if I start cutting now, how long can it lay around and still bring top money from the mill.

Thanks,

Rick
Garn WHS-2000 delivered 10-10-08 placed in service 10-16-09
150 Acre Woodlot
Husky 55 Rancher
S8 IH Skidder
4ft. American Wood Splitter
Pto Cord Wood Saw
484 IH Farm Tractor
6522 Honda Compac

beenthere

Prolly can lay until the ground gets soft again, i.e. spring thaw. After that, there will be some blue staining showing up and some chance for degrade to begin.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lumberjack48

If there cut with in the next two months, theres no basic time you have to haul them. With in the next 6 months or so.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

snowstorm

till april once warm weather hits it dosent take long for the blue stain and the bugs. that why all the mills water there logs

Bogue Chitto

If you have a pond, logs will last for years.  I have some logs in my pond that are 7 years old. 

The bad part is that the logs smell sour.  After lumber dries is will not stink.   

pineywoods

Bogue, what's the orchard in the background ? Mayhaw, Peaches ?
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

woodmills1

While my buyers are way picky during hot times they like their logs 10 to 15 days in winter
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

FFLM

In my area pine markets dry up real fast in late winter, so it may be hard to get rid of it.  Late last winter I had a load that I was trying to move and I couldnt even get anyone to call me back let alone buy the wood.  If you know how much and the quality of the wood you may be able to get a buyer to leave some room for your wood.
208 Jack, 372's and F450 Stroker

lumberjack48

Quote from: snowstorm on January 08, 2013, 04:12:20 PM
till april once warm weather hits it dosent take long for the blue stain and the bugs. that why all the mills water there logs
When there winter cut, warm weather has no effect on them. This is why they only want winter cut so they can stock pile. We've had as much as 500 cds of saw bolts stock piled in the woods after breakup. I don't remember how may 100 thous feet of W-Pine and R-Pine logs piled up. After road restrictions go on, all logs and saw bolts that didn't get hauled got stock piled all over in Chippewa National Forest. Then in the summer months this wood got moved to saw mills. This is the way we did it every year. I cut Company wood 16 yrs, we didn't cut any saw timber in the summer.
If it happed we had to cut a few logs on a job, we made sure the mill knew they were coming in, it was all planed. The trucker set-em on the skids, they were sawed the same day. Choice W-Pine they wanted no chance of staining.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

woodmills1

yes I forgot how hard it can be to sell pine in feb march here in new england
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Corley5

It won't take but a few weeks after the weather warms up in the spring for the bugs to start working in them.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Peter Drouin

winter thats when I buy, I would find a mill for them and ask them when they want them.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

gjersy

Rick, talk to a reputable logger, they'll cut and market, not only the W. Pine logs, but the bolts and pulp, thus putting more money in your pocket.
If life gives you lemons, throw 'em into a quart of vodka.

simonmeridew

those bugs hear a chainsaw start up, they come a running.
simonmeridew
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

lumberjack48

Saw logs and bolts that got stock piled, the mill payed me 80% and we'd square up after it was all hauled in.

The mills used to stock pile millions bf of W-Pine and Norway logs before breakup. Theres no way they would have done this if it was going to stain or go to the bugs.

thecfarm

Hello Rick,contact who ever is buying and make sure they will take them. And they may say yes now,than a month later say no. When I was cutting here logs was moving real good. I had a logger come in about 5 years ago and cut some of my white pine. It was all set up to be brought by the sawmill. When he started trucking the mill tried to put him on a quota. He just about backed the buyer up against a tree and put the knuckles to him.  ;D How are you getting the trees out of the woods? Have you cut trees down for logs before? I mentioned quotas. The mill was only taking logs from loggers they had dealt with in the past. hope you filed an intent to log from the state of Maine
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bogue Chitto

Quote from: pineywoods on January 08, 2013, 06:23:51 PM
Bogue, what's the orchard in the background ? Mayhaw, Peaches ?
That's blueberries.  We do have mayhaws also.

Rick Stanley

Hi TheCFarm,
   Do you know Ray and Linda Buck? They run Archer Angus Beef in Chesterville. How about Eugene Knight? I went to trade school with him 76-78.
    I have an old S8 IH skidder that I get firewood out with. I have done chainsaw and mechanical harvesting quite a bit in the past. I know how to buck logs for grade etc. but have never gotten involved in the buying and selling end of it.
    The pine I have is probably considered below average. Some pretty nice but most not so good but all of it is good sized. The woodlot has been abused and neglected for generations and I want to try and bring it back. There is a mill nearby but they like to cater to large suppliers and the pine market being what it is, they are off and on without much notice. So I don't want to get stuck with logs laying around with no market and I don't want to give them away.
    I'll ask around and see if there's a small-scale trucker around. That might be best. Then I could do it in small amounts. Like I said, I'm not going to be able to do any big production. I just want to drag a tree out once in awhile while I'm doing firewood. 
Garn WHS-2000 delivered 10-10-08 placed in service 10-16-09
150 Acre Woodlot
Husky 55 Rancher
S8 IH Skidder
4ft. American Wood Splitter
Pto Cord Wood Saw
484 IH Farm Tractor
6522 Honda Compac

JohnM

Hey Rick, this is waaaaay off topic but see you're in Maine so figured I'd ask; are you any relation to the Stanley's from Great Cranberry Island?

Good luck with the pine. :)

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

thecfarm

Rick,we get a lot of people that have no idea about cutting logs.I just wanted to make sure you was heading in the right direction. I can see you are all set.
Southern Maine,Portland,Saco??
Knight does not ring a bell at all.
I knew about that farm but had no idea where it was until you said Archer. I brought my NH tractors off from the Grandfather David. He sold the farm and land and built a house with in sight of the farm to enjoy the non-farming life. He works for Kramer's selling.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed_K

"Quota's" ::) I've been on a 1 load a week for 2 months  >:( :( Hard to get lots to cut when the mill's won't buy wood. Unless your one of the big op's.
Ed K

shelbycharger400

Rick..
do you have a mill?
How big are they?

look at some hobby millers,  sometimes the snake logs are good to hobby workers.  10 in a bigger seems to market well

Doug mclean

Yes ed And if the mill finds out that you have sold logs to another mill they will shut you off.They want you to be loyal to them but they don't have to be in return it just doesn't seem fair

thecfarm

Doug mclean,welcome to the forum. Sounds like Doug has been on the wrong end of a log before. What do you do for wood? have equipment?

Doug mclean

I mostly cut hardwood and hemlock try to stay a way from pine as much as possible and pull it out with my 440a witch was the best 3500 $ and a littel tinkering I have ever spent

Thank You Sponsors!