iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Roller Blade Guides

Started by HaroldSiefke, January 08, 2013, 12:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

Looks good. I didn't see where the lube gets to the blade and what are the blocks for just outside of each roller.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ladylake

Looks like another set of guides, not needed with 1/4" down pressure on the roller guides.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

Hal,that top block on your adjustable guide is redundent,if removed would be a perfect place for a wick type band luber. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

HaroldSiefke

I removed top block today thought I would leave bottom in case of diving blade. Didn't think of removing top block, I used it for when I lined the bottom block up, to weld on. What does this wick type luber look like? I do have a tube on my movable guide that has a grease zerk that I drilled out. Are these wick type good?
Harold

bandmiller2

Hal,if you took a pipe nipple and mounted it where the top block was on your movable guide,verticle with a piece of cotton wick held down agenst the band by a light spring and pipe cap.If the cap had a hole in the middle you could give it a squirt or two of oil every so often.That will lube the inside of the band,anouther unit on the top of the band guard would do the outside of the band. Wicks will tend to keep the band clean and rust free with no drips. Frank C.

beenthere

Quotethought I would leave bottom in case of diving blade

Will be interesting to hear how well that does work.
My gut reaction is you will break a band faster if you are holding it at that point when it decides it is going to dive.
But I do hope that isn't the case and your dives will be minimized with the block.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hamish

Harold,

I like the new dawgs!  just an eccentric pushing a ponted flat piece.................kinda like the ones Jonsered had on there mills.

Any pics of how you rigged up the bottom that slides on the tube?
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

HaroldSiefke

There is a picture of the slide in my gallery. I built a different one that is only for holding a square cant, it pulls more down. I'm not quite sure if i like the ones i posted for holding a small cant yet. I got some ash logs today, that I'm sawing up tomorrow. I'll probably end up back in the shop building a few more like the one I have not posted pictures of yet. I will post a picture of it tomorrow. Happy sawing. I got an obsession and milling is all I think about. I sawed a 16inch ash today and my mill cuts a lot straighter but I need more power.........
Harold

hackberry jake

You are going down a similar path that I went down. I removed my 13hp honda and put on a 20hp Honda, and I added a modified pineywoods hydraulic turner/clamp. It's not even close to the mill it used to be. Keep up the fabricating and the tinkering. My advice would be to have one moveable guide. It helps keep the narrower cuts straighter. You don't have 10" of band before it sees wood.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

ladylake

Quote from: beenthere on January 17, 2013, 10:26:44 PM
Quotethought I would leave bottom in case of diving blade

Will be interesting to hear how well that does work.
My gut reaction is you will break a band faster if you are holding it at that point when it decides it is going to dive.
But I do hope that isn't the case and your dives will be minimized with the block.

Same thought here, when the blade dives it's dull and time to get ot off.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

Pretty much a dull or damaged band is going to dive[or rise] devices to restrain it will have limited sucess,it will just dive in a tighter area.My origional guides had thin hard pads under the band,now that i've gone to flanged rollers i've removed the bottom pads,no real loss. You could get away with much thinner bottom blocks and mayby modify the mill to cut to a one inch last board.Its sort of a copout for a sawyer or mill to have to leave a 2" dogboard. Frank C.

HaroldSiefke

My mill cuts down to one inch board now. Trying to decide on what motor to buy. My mill has clutch and I really like that and would like to get a motor with a one inch shaft that is three and a half inches long or close to that in length. Any ideas what motor to switch to? You say you took 13hp honda off. I was thinking on going to one of those motors.Was it pretty gutless?
Harold

pineywoods

If you want an engine that's a bit different, look at a kawasaki industrial. They are liquid cooled, V twin, 25 hp. They come complete with radiator, water pump, fan, etc.Used on lots of lawn tractors. I have one on my woodmizer lt40. Replaced a worn out briggs. For specs on just about any small engine, go to www.tulsa engine warehouse.com
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

hackberry jake

The 13hp Honda was a champ. It had ok power and excellent fuel mileage. I just came across a used 20hp for cheap so I threw it on there. I would highly reccomend the 13hp. To mount the 20 I had to mount a fuel tank, an electronic ignition, and a battery. The 13 is all self contained. Before you get too carried away with a motor swap you might check to see how much space you have and how the added weight will affect things.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

HaroldSiefke

here is my favorite cant holder.. it works great. after today i'm going to add a chain log turner. Anyone have some good photos of the making of a log turner.I have two hydraulic motors now and a hydraulic pump with a gx 270 honda. Anyone got some info on this and maybe home built toe boards. The tree that said I need hydraulics.....

Harold

fishpharmer

Here is a thread with a version of the well known "pineywoods log turner."

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=60649.0

Maybe pineywoods will give a link to his original drawings that are somewhere here on the forum, hope that helps.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

HaroldSiefke

Would the hydraulic loader be a good feature to add? Getting that tree turned was only doable with my tractor. And to turn it all by my self took a lot of time. I like pictures so if some one could lead me to good photos of these things I would be very great full, thanks. Back to milling tomorrow,my muffler fell off today. Had to get bolts. I'll get it put back together in morning. Thanks guys, my wife is sick of hearing about milling, so this is a great place to be a part of,because we all have wood fever...
Harold

pineywoods

Quote from: fishpharmer on January 20, 2013, 09:03:35 PM
Here is a thread with a version of the well known "pineywoods log turner."

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=60649.0

Maybe pineywoods will give a link to his original drawings that are somewhere here on the forum, hope that helps.

Yeah, if you want to go hydraulic, here's a good way to go. The thread is 8 pages long. One of the posts (I think on page 6) has an attached pdf file that you can print out. Autocad drawings of all the parts with dimensions. Don't know how many of these things have been built, I have personally done 3. Latest one that I know about is on a EZ Boardwalk.
click here
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,39860.msg573196.html#msg573196
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

HaroldSiefke

So on this turner what size of cylinders do I need?  Sure looks nice.. Cant wait to get this on the way. Thanks guys. Hal
Harold

bandmiller2

Hal,the value of the "pineywoods"turner and the two plane is they not only turn but also clamp.I have a two plane and find the clamp is as important as the turn.In fact I rarely use anything else to dog the log/cants. A chain turner is of little use as a clamp although it will hold the log wile you use outher dogs.Frank C.

pineywoods

Quote from: HaroldSiefke on January 20, 2013, 11:55:17 PM
So on this turner what size of cylinders do I need?  Sure looks nice.. Cant wait to get this on the way. Thanks guys. Hal
Harold, the cylinders are all 2 inch diameter, cheap.
12 inch stroke for the turner (2 of them)
8  inch stroke for the clamp
4 inch stroke for the toe roller.
8 inch stroke for the backstops.
I buy them from surplus center.com
valves from the same place. 
With a 1hp motor and 3gpm pump, it will roll anything your mill will saw.

hackberry jake

The one I built for the boardwalk jr. uses two 8" cylinders for the lift. One 6" cylinder for the clamp, and some old 6" cylinders for the backstops. I had limited room to work with so I scaled mine down. After I built the clamp I didnt have room for the pushrod for the backstops so I have one cylinder pushing on one backstop and the other is pulling. Just run the fluid from the rod side of the first cylinder into the rod side of the second cylinder and they move in unison. Mine uses a 2hp motor and a 2gpm pump. Here is a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-UWLpXKrfE

and another

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W1woG32q50

and a pic.

I have had some requests for drawings and plans of the modified pineywoods... I need to get around to making them.

Slab Slicer

That is one sweet turner / clamp. I'm looking to scale something like this to my LT-15 GO. A drawing with dimensions would be a great help. Also, some of your clearances to the ground, and your mill bed clearance dimensions would be helpful to scale this turn to my LT 15.

I saw a post some time back about another member who designed one for his LT 15, but I can't seem to find it.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

HaroldSiefke

That's really nice ....I'd like to see how you connected the clamp to the clevis pin. And some drawings would be awesome , but thanks that's really great. 
Harold

pineywoods

Slab slicer, there are a few lt15's with the pineywoods turner/clamp. It bolts on to the mill, no welding. Few posts down in this thread is a link to the original article, including a full set of drawings with dimensions and pics. Original was on a manual lt40, but there's nothing unique to woodmizer.

Thank You Sponsors!