iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pin oak

Started by drobertson, January 07, 2013, 10:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

I have a couple of pin oak logs I am cutting for a custormer. He wants 1-1/2 and 1" lumber the best I can do. This tree has been lighting struck.  I butted off the ends, it is solid but shows signs of some slight radial splitting. Any suggestions on handling this, other than just go for it and see what happens?   thanks, david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jay C. White Cloud

???Maybe quarter saw it? ???
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

drobertson

Thanks Jay, I had the same thought, He wants the plane sawn grain. He may get some when its all said and done.   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi Droberston,

I know, I seemed to have annoyed a few folks mentioning pricing things by the board foot, instead of hourly, but this seems like another one of those cases.  Maybe it is in the way I "groom," my clients?  This job, is one where the customer gets what he gets, and you can't be held responsible.  Travel cost, set up fee, blade break cost, then just fletch them out while he is there offloading.  You get paid what ever you ask bf price, whether the board is "lightning shot," or not.  Seems only fare to both parties.  What do you think?

Regards, Jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

drobertson

well Jay, he brought the logs to me,  and, by strange luck a good friend of a potential custormer that I spoke with on the phone a few weeks ago, in fact he heard the conversation, I quoted the fellow 200/m to cut green pine, delivered here. Well I said is it still .20/ft  a pause, head scratch, two logs, I said yea, My biggest concern is making good stuff, so then I cleaned off the ends of the logs, saw what I saw, and called him,  gut feeling, he does'nt care, just cut them, and be done. so this is what will happen.  Like my wife has always said, I just give the stuff away,  maybe this one will open some doors,   thanks man,  good evening to you,,  david

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi David,

May all your doors open, good luck, hope to "bump" into you here on the FF and maybe someday meet.

Best Wishes,

jay

Magicman

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on January 08, 2013, 12:58:17 PM
I seemed to have annoyed a few folks mentioning pricing things by the board foot, instead of hourly 

I seriously doubt that anyone was annoyed.

Sawyers price differently for different sawing jobs based on their experience, their equipment, and the particular job.  I see no absolute, no right, nor wrong.  I also doubt that anyone would change their pricing strategy solely based upon another sawyer's experiences.  As long as the sawyer and the customer are satisfied and receiving value for value given, then ether is perfectly OK based upon the particular sawjob.

I quoted a sawjob today.  Part will be per bf and part hourly.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

I doubt anyone was "annoyed" either. 

Maybe felt a bit sorry that you didn't know better, but not annoyed.  ;)

Felt we had some 'edjumacation' to do.   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

Going to school everyday here ;D  I did finish the pin oak job, and was quite surprised.  As far as I could tell there is no damage to the integrity of the  lumber due to the "apparant" lightning hit.  He said it was high on the tree top, so I did not see that part of the log.  He was happy with the lumber, I ended up with 336bdbt the second log had to be cut back to 8' from 10'  and I got a $10 tip ;D  I will say this stuff was a bit on the tough to cut side. 

5quarter

Drobertson...I have cut lightning strike pin oak for myself on 3 occasions. in every case, the lumber looked great coming off the mill. in every case, nearly all the boards were split along their length in 2 or 3 places when dry. The up side is that they made great lumber stickers, which I can never have enough of. Your results (hopefully) will vary.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!