iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Expensive door handle

Started by Larry, January 07, 2013, 09:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I broke the door handle on my 97 F-350 last week.  Called up my friendly Ford dealer to see if they had a new one in stock.  The parts man said sure do...bring $31 and change.  Said I would think on it for a bit.  How can one small door handle sell for that kind of money?

Thought about making a visit to the nearest auto salvage but that would shoot a couple of hours.  Did a quick google and didn't expect much.  First picture was the door handle I need.  $8.16 and that's delivered to my door.  The post office was on there toes and I got it three days after placing my order.  I figured it would cost $8.16 in sales tax and fuel just to pick up the $31 one at Ford.

The new one looks the same, feels the same, but doesn't have mud like the old one.  Smells better too. :D

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

thecfarm

I can tell one better than that. My wife has some sort of tablet. Went to the phone place she got it from to get a charger,the one that came with it,just past 6 months was broke. they wanted $50 and they was on back order. She went to Ebay and got 3 complete chargers,one for the house, one for the car,one cord that hooks up to her lap top and the tablet.That would be 9 cords,a protective case and 2 of those pens for the screens for way under $50,shipping and all.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Larry, I did the same with a broken handle for the Suzuki Samurai, and the replacement was aluminum instead of plastic.  Google is our friend.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

steamsawyer

Just yesterday I ordered an inside drivers door handle for my wifes 98 Yota van from JC Whitney. So far I've replaced all outside handles. The only one left is the inside front passengers side handle. Whitney had them all, and postage free. The most expensive was the outside ones with the lock, even so only in the $18.00 range, the inside ones are only about $9..... Of course at the Yota dealer they started at $38 and went to $67.00.... and they had to order them in... go figure...

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

thecfarm

steamsawyer,yea order them in from JC Whitney.   :D  Somtimes I wonder about that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

haywire woodlot

My last purchase from ford was a rubber intercooler boot for my '03 6.0l diesel. Grand total was $168 after taxes, even the parts guy thought that was ridiculous. All I could do was laugh and pull out my wallet. :'(
Dave

sprucebunny

A frameless, opening window on my backhoe broke. The glass comes with two small holes for a simple lever you twist to hold the glass shut. Glass was around $120 on ebay (list $155) ...handle; if you can find it: $93.
I probably don't need to tell you that the glass is held shut with bungies until I can make a handle.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

WDH

The lift gate assit cylinders on my wife's Honda Pilot went out.  $170 for both from Honda.  Advance Auto Parts had two for $76.  Anything having to do with a automotive dealer is gonna cost you a lot of money.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ely

i found the same ford door handles for my 96 at the local napa store for about 9 bucks, only it was chrome metal instead of plastic.

Thank You Sponsors!