iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

green hardwood lumber

Started by MILL BRANCH FARMS, January 07, 2013, 04:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MILL BRANCH FARMS

hello everybody! new guy here with lots of questions! i have a timberking 1600 with a 20' bed, a 4x4 backhoe, a 450 dozer with winch, a 3500 dodge dually, a 32' flatbed goose neck 20,000 gvw, chainsaws etc. my father in law has 60+ acres of prime hardwoods. we need to get some cash flow. where do we look to sell green lumber?
DIGGER

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Howdy and Welcome to the FORESTRY FORUM.

If you could please tell us where you live as in your State, your question could possibly be answered a whole lot easier.   :)
By knowing what area you are in, hopefully another member who lives in your area may know your market better than others.

We are glad you're here. Sounds like you have lots of toys.  smiley_thumbsup

How long have you had your mill and what have you been sawing?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bibbyman

I wouldn't put blade to wood without a market to take it to. Green lumber is like garden vegetables and have to be moved quickly.

The problem with a mill with production levels like ours is producing enough to get a commercial buyer interested. And doing it inside a couple of days in the summer and within a week in the cold of winter.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

MILL BRANCH FARMS

I've had the saw a few years now but have only sawed a little for myself. i live on the west side of west virginia (a stones throw from kentucky). yeah lots of toys, that's why i need the cash flow :D
DIGGER

WH_Conley

You might check with some of the White's in Morehead. I have never sold them any myself, I know they buy in small quantities. Where in WVa. are you? Morehead is not far from Huntington, but, a pretty good drag from Pikeville.
Bill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have to 100% agree with Bibbyman.....I would not recommend sawing a bunch of green lumber unless I had a buyer for it.
Sawing in the blind will get expensive. There may be a good possibility what you saw, nobody wants. You have to have a place to store your lumber out of the weather.

I am in a Pine market. When I first got my mill, THE FIRST WEEK, I went to sawing 2x4's like crazy. Not to long after that, I learned I couldn't hardly give them away. What a waste of time and money. I hope this helps..  :)

MILL BRANCH FARMS

ya. thanks bibbyman, i want to line up buyers first, i live in the fort gay area, across river from louisa,ky.
DIGGER

samandothers

Welcome to ya! Toys are great. Hope you can start the cash flow soon.

schakey

Hello and welcome Mills Branch Farms.  smiley_hollywood_cool What part of western Wv ?
We have land south of Huntington, hope to meet you someday and good luck.
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

MILL BRANCH FARMS

DIGGER

paul case

Look in the yellow pages for outfits that  manufacture and sell hardwood flooring. Ya might get lucky?  PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum,    MILL BRANCH FARMS.   :)

I am no help in the selling market.  I only custom saw.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bugdust

MBF, Here in southern WV the market is very limited. About the only green lumber sales will be for the weekend warrior. Since I saw mostly for myself I'm don't advertise, but word-of-mouth brings several customers by. You would be surprised of the individuals who want you to saw and build for them too. Your area is more broad based which would allow advertisement in WV, KY and OH. I suggest you utilize the local advertisement outlets, and maybe stick up a few of your own at places of business dealing with farming, woodworking, etc. Just remember, once you get started you may find it overwhelming. One thing you don't want is to get a good start and find it hard to located logs and maintain inventory. PLAN. PLAN. PLAN. Good luck!
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

mikeb1079

one thing you could try is this:  post a craigslist ad for hardwood lumber for sale.  let them know what you have access to and that you can custom saw whatever they'd like;  ie bar tops, mantles, live edge etc...  see what folks are after and then quote em your price.  not foolproof but perhaps you'd get an idea of who's out there and what to saw without just guessing. 
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Jay C. White Cloud

That's a good idea Mike1079, when we have extra wood, it goes quick that way.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Digger.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dboyt

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  I cut railroad ties on my portable sawmill for a while, and didn't do too badly, until the flooring mill where I sold the side lumber quit buying.  Looks like you might have the equipment to handle ties (I didn't, and they get heavy by the end of the day).  Might check with Koppers and find out who the local buyer is.  If nothing else, it is a good market for the lower grade core lumber, but you still need a market for everything else.  If you do a search, you'll find threads on FF about railroad ties. Fencing, barn siding, and trailer decking are other markets I cut for.  Put up ads in the local feed stores.  Might also think about kiln drying and planing to increase the value of the lumber.  A solar kiln has been part of my 3-year plan for the last 8 years.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

WH_Conley

I forgot about Kopper's. They buy one day a week in Paintsville. Let me know and I can give you his number.
Bill

MILL BRANCH FARMS

thanks everyone! great advice, hope it keeps coming! yes WH please send contact info. i do plan on a kiln. does anybody have plans using a home dehumidifier?
DIGGER

Bibbyman

You may check with your state forestry department.  They should have a list of every forestry related business in the state.  Also, you may have a forestry association that indexes all their members.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

schakey

Digger you are just a stone throw away from our property. It' between
Greenbrier Creek Road and Joel's Branch Road off 37 about 5 miles south
Of Wayne.
My good friend and neighbor used to cut ties and take them to Paintsville.
He also did a lot of portable work in the area.
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: schakey on January 08, 2013, 10:44:27 PM
Digger you are just a stone throw away from our property. It' between
Greenbrier Creek Road and Joel's Branch Road off 37 about 5 miles south
Of Wayne.
My good friend and neighbor used to cut ties and take them to Paintsville.
He also did a lot of portable work in the area.

Digger, sounds like you're getting warm now.

Good reply Schakey.  smiley_thumbsup

Kansas

Think I would first figure out what you have for prime hardwoods. They may be worth more in log form. Doesn't mean there wouldn't be some species or the lower grade end still worth cutting. Had a guy who hauls us in some logs every year, mostly cottonwood and a few others, call and want me to bid on some walnut logs. I checked, and was surprised at how much they have gone up. If you had really good ones of those, it would be money ahead to sell those standing to a good logger, unless you really know how to properly cut a high quality veneer. Same as a white oak. The lesser species and lower grade logs is what you are looking for.

MILL BRANCH FARMS

my father in law has everything but walnut, wish he did cause a guy i know in central ohio timbered a bunch of black walnut 4 years ago and the logger put $80,000 in the land owners pocket! mostly in the 16"-24" range he has red oak, white oak, yellow poplar, beech and sugar maple which i want to keep for a maple syrup venture. he has hickory too
DIGGER

MILL BRANCH FARMS

hey schakey, is your good friend out of business? if so maybe he can help me out with some contacts
DIGGER

Thank You Sponsors!