iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Unisaw Mobile base?

Started by Brad_bb, January 06, 2013, 09:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I have a 1953 Unisaw that I want to put a mobile base on.  I looked on Amazon and saw the 50-273 Delta mobile base, but it says the inside dimensions are 20-5/8 X 20-5/8.  I measured the case iron base on my saw and it's about 21.5X21.5.  Anyone?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

pineywoods

Quote from: Brad_bb on January 06, 2013, 09:08:37 PM
I have a 1953 Unisaw that I want to put a mobile base on.  I looked on Amazon and saw the 50-273 Delta mobile base, but it says the inside dimensions are 20-5/8 X 20-5/8.  I measured the case iron base on my saw and it's about 21.5X21.5.  Anyone?

If you find one, I would be interested in knowing where. I have a similar unisaw..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

beenthere

How about the adjustable HTC 2000 Universal (see it is sold by Rockler)
also a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eviF5-nqu6o
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brad_bb

That is an option.  I do like the square tubing of the Delta though.  I'm hoping someone can confirm that the 50-273 does or does not work on the old Unisaw, before I really consider a universal base.  I like the table extention Delta offers which looks like it would work with my unisaw.  If I upgrade to that, I know the 50-273 can be upgraded with the extension.  That's why I want to confirm on the Delta.

Tree Feller

I would email or call Delta CS.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Handy Andy

Grizzly has a 700 lb mobile base that adjusts from 20 x 20 to 29 1/2 x 29 1/2 for 69.95  Model D2057A  page 295 of the new catalog.  Call 800 523 4777
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Brad_bb

I called Delta customer service and they verified that my older Delta Unisaw with the cast iron base will not work on any mobile base they sell now. 

I'll check out that Grizzly, thanks.

pineywoods

Hmmm. Based on your informatio, looks like I will be building my own out of angle iron. so what else is new... ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Larry

Don't take it so hard...my Uni sets on a HTC base.  Expensive and not the best quality.  I have three different brands in the shop and other than one Delta base for a bandsaw I like my shop built bases the best.

I sometimes scrap and keep all the good USA castors I come across.  Makes it a lot more economical building, and they will outlast the China junk by a mile.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Brad_bb

Which base should I get?  This is my Pre-purchase comparison:
Candidates:                  Weight Cap  No. of casters  Caster/lift type  Amazon price
HTC2000                               400lb       4           2 Foot Pedal    64.99
HTC3000                               700lb      4           2 Foot Pedal               107.99
DELTA 50-345 Universal         300lb      3           1 Foot Pedal              59.99
Base (Wood Not Included)
Jet 708118 JMB-UMB             600lb      4            2 Locking Caster      76.99
Universal Mobile Base
Rockler Complete Mobile        600lb      3            1 Foot Pedal    62.99
Base w/Caster (Wood Not Included)
Shop Fox D2058A Adjustable  1300lb   4           2 hand Screw           105.05
Mobile Base, Large
Rockler All-Terrain Mobile Base 800lb   4          2 locking Caster        206.99
Steel City Universal           600lb   4          2 Foot Pedal             59.99
Mobile Base(Woodriver/Woodstock)

I have an old 1953 Delta Unisaw with a cast iron base.  Delta does not make a mobile base to fit these older Unisaws, and therefore I am reviewing the above universal bases for my saw. 
Weight Capacity:  Mine is a heavy saw with additional cast iron, plus added wing extension that serves as a router table.  The Bosch router is normally mounted, adding to the total weight.  Once I also add an extension table, the weight will likely be above 400lb, which eliminates the HTC2000 and the Delta.
   Number of Casters:  Only one 3 wheel candidate is left, the Rockler.  If an extension table is mounted, which would typically be mounted on the side of the foot pedal, would you be able to easily activate the foot pedal from the side, since you could not stand in line with it?  This seems like a negative drawback, making it a less likely candidate.  All of the remaining units have 4 casters.
   Caster/Lift Type:  The hand screws of the Shop Fox require bending down and multiple turning action of two screws.  This sounds like a pain, and eliminates this unit for me.  There are two locking Caster units, the Jet and the Rockler All-Terrain. A locking caster in my experience still allows some movement, and if you are trying to rip a big heavy hardwood slab, or an awkward sheet of plywood, you don't want any movement of your saw.  This is one of the biggest problems I've had up to this point with my saw.  The Previous owner had installed non locking swivel casters, and the table moved too much with big or heavy pieces.  Note that the Rockler All Terrain has larger diameter caster which makes rolling over small obstacles easier.  I don't think this is enough benefit though to overcome the movement that could happen while sawing with locking casters. 
     The Foot Pedal units seem like the way to go.  They will lower to the ground for a truly fixed tool, yet will raise the unit easily by a quick step on the pedal.  Having 2 Foot Pedals, does require more motion and time to go around to both sides of the saw to get it rolling, but this is a sacrifice that seems necessary for easy access to the foot pedals(compared to the center mount of the 3 caster unit). 
     Cost: This leaves me with the HTC3000, and the Steel City unit left.  They are both very close in weight capacity, but the Steel city is about half the price.  It does require supplying a strong ¾ inch plywood base though, and does not readily adjustable should you ever want to mount it to another piece of equipment.  You'd have to cut another wood base.  A concern on the HTC is that the foot pedals are plastic, and there is a concern that they could break.  A good number of reviews on Amazon back up this concern as a reality. 

Conclusion:  It looks like the Steel City unit.  Actually the Woodriver and Woodstock units on Amazon only have a few reviews, but they are positive.  I also found a review of this same design base, but from the WoodCraft store that was quite positive.  Looks like on Amazon, the Woodriver Mobile Base is from WoodCraft.  This is what I'm going to buy and try.  The following video is not me, I found it on youtube on the Woodriver mobile base.
http://youtu.be/VFJNnUzlt_c

Don_Papenburg

I have my Uncles old Uni saw I think it is a 56 model.  He put casters under it . I never tiped it over to see how  they were attached . But he put a wood bottom to keep the box for collecting sawdust . The casters might be attached  to that.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Brad_bb

That's what the previous owner of mine did- put 1 inch plywood between the cast iron base and the sheet metal housing, then made wood spacers and attached casters under there.  Trying to rip a large oak slab, is a nightmare as the saw will move and rotate as you're trying to cut.  Then when I added a longer wing on one side for a router table, it was weight biased to one side.  So now if I put a heavy piece on one side, it wants to tip the saw about 10 degrees over until the edge of the cast iron base touches the ground.  Not good.  To work propertly, a table saw should rest on the ground like the mobile base will allow.  It should then be much more steady.  I'll call Woodcraft in the morning and find out if they have one in stock and go get it.  Then I have to stop and get some strong plywood, hopefullly a half sheet or less from Menards.

beenthere

At the very tail end of the video, did you see how tippy and unstable the jointer was after the guy locked the wheels. Maybe there were some bolts missing that held it tight to the plywood, or it needed more plywood thickness.

I prefer a base that lets all four legs dropped back to the floor for stability.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brad_bb

He didn't have that jointer bolted to the base.  In fact, I think it was sitting uneven becuase it was part on the metal corner tabs and part on the wood.  Combine that with being top heavy...  I'll post a vid when I get my Unisaw(a cabinet saw that doesn't have legs) on it to show how it does.

Brad_bb

petefrom bearswamp

I built a mobile base for my older Powermatic shaper using 3 U shaped brackets and some substantial casters from Harbor freight.
I don't use the machine a lot and only move it 4 or 5 times a year. but this works well and cost me about $50 total.
I do however have screw in locks on the one caster.
pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Rooster

Nice video review Brad!!

Is that a Fastcap telescoping I-phone holder?   ;)

Do you think that you could put this base set up on the bottom of large timber-frame sawhorses, so you could move them around with beams laid across them?

Thanks,

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Brad_bb

Yes I did use the Mini IPole from FastCap.com.  It helps you to make videos by yourself.  They also just came out with a pivoting ball attachment and one attachment is mounting it to a spring clamp to help you attach it anywhere you are working quickly and easily. 

Your other question has a longer answer that I will answer in a PM.  Although it would work for putting the horses away, having the timbers on and the two bases having to work together will create some new issues.

Thank You Sponsors!