"Possible" Junior Arch Timber Sling Attachment?

Started by Rooster, January 06, 2013, 03:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooster

Kevin,

I really like the design of the Junior Arch...especially the fact that it is so light.

There seems to be an increasing number of DIY timber-framers and log home builders who might be potential customers of your arches.  I was thinking that you could make a "Timber Junior" that would have removable tongs, and interchange them with a custom made farm clevis with outer hooks that would hold the eye loops of a wide nylon sling...thus, eliminating the damage on a finished beam or peeled log.  The wide sling reduces and even eliminates any scarring that the strap might cause on a large or heavy soft wood beam.

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Lifting-Slings/1-ply-Webbing_43/Nylon-Lifting-Sling-Continuous-Eye-Wide-6-inch-wide-3-feet-long-1-ply

It seems that a sling can be made to order in the overall length needed.  One sling can also be used for beams ranging from 6x6 through 10x10, which might cover 80% of all sizes used by DIY and some professionals.  The following drawing shows three different beams resting on a 4x4, and the height of each timber suspended from the same 6" wide sling/strap.

I don't know the specs on the Junior Arch, but I think that you might be able to market this to Timber-framers and log builders.

Another option would be to have a changeable insert like the Buck Arch, where there could be a "option" to purchase a "sling clevis" insert.

Just an idea...

Thanks,

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Tam-i-am

Rooster

this time we are way ahead of you.  We were going to roll out these 3 new junior accessories this month.  These new accessories allow the Junior to be used for other things besides forestry.  Great applications for plumbers, pipe fitters, timber framers, landscapers, utility construction and small manufacturing shops.

more pics to come
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Rooster

Great!!!

Now you're thinkin', Lincoln!!!

Opening up new markets by just finding a need!!!

Got a way of removing the tongs?  Or securing them completely out of the way, besides flipping them up and over?

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Tam-i-am

the timber sling has 5 adjustment points  it will handle pieces from 4" to 12" in diameter.

we spread the tongues and hook them onto junior, then we hook the sling into the ring of the hooks.
(don't pick on my piece of timber as it was the only thing I had to take the picture on short notice :laugh:)

Rooster

That looks good!!!

It looks like the strap is stiff enough to slide it, and the hook under an elevated/ blocked beam.   eh?

Are you looking for anyone, (ahem!) to field test the junior with it's new sling attachment?...say someone who actively works on barns and timber-frames?  eh?  ;)

Thanks,

Rooster
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Tam-i-am

the chain adapter

this allows you to use a choker chain with the Junior.  It will take 1/4" chain.

It is a cap that pins over the end of junior.  Again you  just have to hook the tongs back onto Junior's frame.

This will fit even earlier models of the Junior.  I believe it even fits over any green ones (Future Forestry) still hanging around out there.

Again don't pick on my short I beam.  yes, junior can handle much longer and heavier pieces!!!  It is always the models that are hard to find. ;D

Tam-i-am

The Trailer Hitch Adapter

This works great on our Splitter (we use it all the time).  Works great to move the show trailer!!  Works great on portable sawmills!!!!
Has a 2" ball.  Again, it is a cap that pins over the top of junior.  It will fit old models as well.

Tam-i-am

Rooster we put everything through testing long before it ever gets to market.  ;)

here are some better pics.

This one is a better shot of the ball as I had someone hold the junior level.

And here is what it was moving.

This is a small bundle of aluminum.  the truck drops it off and we have to get it in the shop. (I'm pretty sure I am over Junior's weight capacity also - like I said we put our products to the test)

The sling is specially made for us by East Coast Lifting here in our industrial park.

Rooster how about this timber!?!

Rooster

I'm very impressed!!!...and that starts to qualify as a timber!!  :D

Some questions:

What was the dimensions of that timber?

Was the strap at it's largest loop...max'd out?

How much clearance off of the ground did you have with that beam?...enough to clear and set onto 4x4s?

What would be the largest squared timber you could easily pick with the strap and still have the handle toggle over?

If the beam was 32ft long, and you decide to "toggle" the handle down so that it rested on the top face of the beam, would the diagonal braces on the Junior touch or scratch the corners of the beam?

Could the handle be easily tied down to the beam to keep it secured while the operator pushed or pulled the end of the beam?

Would the handle dig in or scratch the beam while being tied down?

Thanks for working on this...I'm sure it will sell!

Rooster
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Brad_bb

Wow, I didn't see a need for an arch for me before, I am starting to now.  Making a product like this more useful is a major usefulness improvement. 

I have a dry White Oak 12X12 X 12 feet long.  weighs about 600lbs.
I also have a bunch of dry Beech 10X10X 16feet long weight about 500 lbs. 

I wonder how the arch would handle those?  What is the weight capacity?

Rooster and I are planning to shoot several videos in the near future.  We could test some applications and shoot some good video?

I have a timber cart that I bought early on.  It's probably good for lighter soft woods like pine, but I have mostly hardwoods here to work with like I mentioned.  Only have a few pine beams, but they are 38 feet long and therefore awkward to move.  I wonder how well the arch would work for those?  I am getting ready to move all my timbers from one pole barn on my farm to another- by spring.  I wonder if the arch and sling would come in handy.  I can think of some pieces that would be difficult for me to get them out of the current building with the forklift, but if I could bring them out of the building with the arch...
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

beenthere

Yes Brad, looks like you need one.  Will be worth it to you in the time and effort saved.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brad_bb

Kevin, Have you experimented with making tubular forks for the arch jr, that would say pick up the pallet next to you in this pic and allow you to move it around?  I wonder how much weight you could pick up and move safely like that?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!