iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

And Then There Were Two....

Started by Phorester, January 06, 2013, 12:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phorester

Made the larger box a few years ago to hold a green ceramic Christmas tree with the colored lights. More pictures of the first one in my gallery. I inherited another tree from my Grandmother.... so.... another box.

Tree Feller

Nice looking chests, Phorester. Are the plywood panels inset into grooves or is the trim applied to the outside? Either way, it looks good.

I'd also be interested in seeing those ceramic Christmas trees.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

samandothers

Very nice work.  You have created some great heirlooms!

Phorester

Here ya go, Cody.  One of the trees.  Has a single 20W bulb inside that shines through different colored plastic inserts at the end of each branch. I think these were popular in ceramics classes in the 1970's or 80's. This one is 16" tall.  The other one is 18". One foot ruler laying in front for scale.

The chests are simple boxes of 3/8" plywood with the 1/4" oak edge strips glued & nailed to the outside.  Trees on front of each box cut from 1/4" thick oak on a bandsaw.

jueston

looks really great. i especially like how you cut the oak around the latch on the front.

Holmes

Great idea with the cases and nicely done.  My mother made one in the 80's also.
Think like a farmer.

jamesamd

Very nice job.Foam lined inside?
Well protected!
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Phorester

I made them for home storage, not traveling or shipping, so I didn't put much of a lining in them.  The only lining inside is a 3/8" thick stiff foam piece on the bottom with a hole cut out for the base of the tree to sit in, to keep the base from sliding around.  Then another piece of that foam up about 3/4 of the height of the tree with a smaller hole in it to keep the tree from tilting.  Both pieces cut to fit snugly on all sides of the box, not the trees. I glued two small wood blocks on two opposite sides inside the box to hold the upper foam piece level.  The trees still slide around somewhat, but it is sturdy enough for home storage.

Thanks to all for the compliments!

SwampDonkey

Those are nice boxes for your trees. About the trees. About every house wife around here 30 years ago was into ceramics, it was a fad back then. And they all made Christmas trees for one project. Exactly like yours. ;D My mother made two. One for herself and one for grandmother. 

Another story. Every community has a sponge type. And we had one to. She never joined the ceramics class or paid the fees. What she did was call around to see who was not going that week, and she went in her place. She also got a free ride with whomever was going. She knew how to play those games. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Riggs

We have one of those trees, my wife's Grandmother taught ceramics. I keep ours in a rubbermaid tub  >:(
Your boxes are gorgeous.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Thank You Sponsors!