iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hoe chuckin'

Started by haywire woodlot, January 05, 2013, 08:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haywire woodlot

I had the old Ex60 over at my mom's horse farm this week to do a bit of a clean up after we had some maples taken down by a tree service.( that's another story..) while I had the hoe over there I got to clean up some wind fallen firs, that I had bucked to length over a year ago, The ground was finally frozen hard enough over the last weeks cold spell, cold by BC standards, anyway. There was about 40 logs, by my estimate about 3000bf.

Here's the old skidder trail going in, I had to pop out a few stumps to make room for the machine.

Starting to make a tree length deck in the woods, where the biggest concentration of windfalls was.

Bucking to 18' and 16' lengths before walking logs out to the edge of the field.

Log deck forwarded up on to the top of the field, its dry enough to mill them here, or load them onto the dump truck. These logs have been down for almost 2 years, I'm antcipating some some tough sawing.
Dave

CCC4

Sure is pretty up there. What about bug damage? 2 years would be rough for alot of timber in the states. Good looking logs!

snowstorm

Quote from: haywire woodlot on January 05, 2013, 08:39:11 PM
I had the old Ex60 over at my mom's horse farm this week to do a bit of a clean up after we had some maples taken down by a tree service.( that's another story..) while I had the hoe over there I got to clean up some wind fallen firs, that I had bucked to length over a year ago, The ground was finally frozen hard enough over the last weeks cold spell, cold by BC standards, anyway. There was about 40 logs, by my estimate about 3000bf.

Here's the old skidder trail going in, I had to pop out a few stumps to make room for the machine.

Starting to make a tree length deck in the woods, where the biggest concentration of windfalls was.

Bucking to 18' and 16' lengths before walking logs out to the edge of the field.

Log deck forwarded up on to the top of the field, its dry enough to mill them here, or load them onto the dump truck. These logs have been down for almost 2 years, I'm antcipating some some tough sawing.
we will be out in your part of the country next summer. any places we should not miss or must see or do? 2 yrs ago we went to alberta and bc but only as far west as revelstoke

haywire woodlot

Definitely include Vancouver Island in your travels, lots to see and do here. Check out the BC forest discovery centre in Duncan, old growth  forest at Cathedral Grove, Mcleans Mill and railway in Port Alberni, then maybe drive out to Tofino/Uclulet to see the surf on long beach. Taking a Trip on the coaster Francis Barkley from Port Alberni to Bamfield is also a real treat.
Dave

snowstorm

whats the coaster? old wooden ship?how big?

haywire woodlot

Steel, about 140' long. They brought it over from Norway in the '80s. They use it to carry passengers and Cargo down the Inlet, still work cargo with union purchase derricks and makes stops at cabins and camps along the way. It's about a 3 hour trip, makes for a nice day if you do a round trip.

Here's the link, http://www.ladyrosemarine.com/
Dave

snowstorm

Quote from: haywire woodlot on January 09, 2013, 08:34:13 PM
Steel, about 140' long. They brought it over from Norway in the '80s. They use it to carry passengers and Cargo down the Inlet, still work cargo with union purchase derricks and makes stops at cabins and camps along the way. It's about a 3 hour trip, makes for a nice day if you do a round trip.

Here's the link, http://www.ladyrosemarine.com/
sounds like a good ride. big boat its 110' longer than mine

snowstorm

whats the tide out there? here its 12' way down east 25 to 30'

haywire woodlot

13' range is normal, -2' to a 16' is the greatest range here on the south coast. Up around Prince Rupert on there is 24-30' diurnal tides. What kind of boat have you got?
Dave

barbender

That EX60 looks like a handy sized machine.
Too many irons in the fire

snowstorm

Quote from: haywire woodlot on January 09, 2013, 10:00:56 PM
13' range is normal, -2' to a 16' is the greatest range here on the south coast. Up around Prince Rupert on there is 24-30' diurnal tides. What kind of boat have you got?
28 ellis downeast lobster yacht built in southwest harbor maine. they have been building boats for over 60 years. all custom built. they do really good work. was built in 1984. when new it had a bmw diesel havent heard anything good about them. 10 yrs ago it was repowered with a volvo penta a screaming 200hp. any downeast boats out your way? i know there is a couple in alaska

mad murdock

I had to do a double take on yer pic when I realized yer machine just has a bucket n thumb! You got a grapple fer your hoe? Nice whack-o-logs, specially' considering you stacked them up w/o a grapple on yer shovel. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

haywire woodlot

Snowstorm- That sounds like a nice boat you've got there, If you ever shipped it out here you'd have a fine time exploring the BC coast. There are a few downeast type boats around, I don't think you could call them true down Easters as some were built on this coast. Maybe be we should start a thread on boats, this could get sidetracked in a hurry!

Murdock-I don't have a grapple, sure be nice to have one though.

Barbender-It's my second favorite thing that's painted orange!
Dave

Holmes

I think my Kubota excavator is about the same size as the ex 60, 12,000 lbs. DanG handy machines.  I might do the same as you this weekend and get some logs moved. Thank you for the pics.
Think like a farmer.

Dom

Quote from: haywire woodlot on January 09, 2013, 08:12:58 PM
Definitely include Vancouver Island in your travels, lots to see and do here. Check out the BC forest discovery centre in Duncan, old growth  forest at Cathedral Grove, Mcleans Mill and railway in Port Alberni, then maybe drive out to Tofino/Uclulet to see the surf on long beach. Taking a Trip on the coaster Francis Barkley from Port Alberni to Bamfield is also a real treat.

I'm planning a cross country trip this summer with my GF. I did it in 1999 when my sister moved to Bamfield. I told my GF we need to go to Bamfield again, I loved the drive from Port Alberni. May take the coaster this time. 
To add to the trip, we'll be leaving Halifax (where we live) go to NL and Labrador, drive across Labrador all the way to Bamfield BC. If I can have my way anyways. :)

I'm pretty sure my sister used to take the Lady Rose from Bamfield to Victoria.

snowstorm

Quote from: haywire woodlot on January 10, 2013, 10:33:08 AM
Snowstorm- That sounds like a nice boat you've got there, If you ever shipped it out here you'd have a fine time exploring the BC coast. There are a few downeast type boats around, I don't think you could call them true down Easters as some were built on this coast. Maybe be we should start a thread on boats, this could get sidetracked in a hurry!

Murdock-I don't have a grapple, sure be nice to have one though.

Barbender-It's my second favorite thing that's painted orange!
i went down to the ellis shop last spring. they showed me all around and pulled out the paper work on the boat when they built it. all written in pencil nothing typed. it was quite interesting. when new it was $67k now they are over 200. they were building a 26 that was going to washington state. check out the downeast boat forum. there are a lot of small boat builders in maine along with one big one....bath iron works....they build really big steel boats that shoot big guns

Thank You Sponsors!