iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swamped log yard

Started by CCC4, January 05, 2013, 12:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

Not too bad for a short week, more logs in the woods but ran out of room to yard them out.   ;D

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lumberjack48

When i ran out of room i stock piled in the woods or fell and bunched with the skidder.
  So when the truck did start hauling, he would load as i pulled it in, this saved me decking time. I all so moved a lot more wood, while the truck was there. The trucker was happy to get the extra hauling.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

CCC4

Normally we would have been hauling daily, due to the snow and mud we had limited trucking. We need the ground to dry up a bit, we have only hauled lately in pre-dawn froze ground. The landing is actually on a bench, the mud is forcing us to pull the trucks out with the skidder.

lumberjack48

Nothing worse then fighting road conditions. The last logging i did here, if the truck or skidder started leaving tracks, we had to shutter down or pay a big fine.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

thecfarm

Looks good. How's all that wood getting out of the woods? Pictures? Please?  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

g_man

Nice yardfull of logs.
The mill I use wouldn't take any log deliveries for almost two weeks around christmas. When I brought in a load on Jan 2nd I figured I would have to wait in lineto unload. But it was very quiet. The mill wasn't even running. Kind of eerie.

1270d

Nice deck,  do your roads ever freeze? 

CCC4

Sure thing Bud! Timberjack 560D is doing the skidding. This pic is from this Fall.

CCC4

1270d, yes it freezes hard enough to haul a load or two, but as the sun comes out it's a mess! We are almost done at this log deck, all the rest of the wood is going to another deck up on top...hopefully it will hold together.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bogue Chitto

We have logs in the woods.  Had to pull out because of the rain, rain, rain, mud, mud. ::) ::) ::) :-\

CCC4

I hear ya!! We are pulling out for 2moro's expected down pour! Oh well, at least the crew I log for has a sawmill! I hate this time of year...if Christmas doesn't break ya...the weather will try it's damnedest! I bet your pine flats have ZERO bottom! You prolly can't even buy a rock in your area.  :D

1270d

Drool.  Would  love to see how many michigan doubles I could cut in a day in that wood.  Its only a dream though.

Ken

Quote from: 1270d on January 08, 2013, 06:13:08 PM
Drool.  Would  love to see how many michigan doubles I could cut in a day in that wood.  Its only a dream though.

Me too.  I would love to cut timber of that quality with a strong local market.  What is the volume/acre and age of the stand?  Also, what is the logging prescription?
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Bogue Chitto

Quote from: Ken on January 08, 2013, 06:28:41 PM

Me too.  I would love to cut timber of that quality with a strong local market.  What is the volume/acre and age of the stand?  Also, what is the logging prescription?
Not clear cutting. Taking out every 5th row then selected trees with in rows. 

Bogue Chitto

Quote from: CCC4 on January 08, 2013, 06:07:12 PM
I hear ya!! We are pulling out for 2moro's expected down pour! Oh well, at least the crew I log for has a sawmill! I hate this time of year...if Christmas doesn't break ya...the weather will try it's damnedest! I bet your pine flats have ZERO bottom! You prolly can't even buy a rock in your area.  :D
We have plenty of gravel, but you can put all the gravel you want and it is still gumbo.  As of now it is flooded to where even a atv will get stuck. 

chevytaHOE5674

There is wood like that around. I've setup a few sales of row pine like that, and with the weather cooperating you can move a lot of wood in a hurry. Can cut a double in no time flat.

1270d

Oh I drive by that kind of wood.  But that's all since stumpage on it is so high.  150 - 175 cds in a day isn't out of the question.  100 inch stuff.  You could really fly cutting 16's.   

I've cut some nice spruce and tamarack but only in small doses. 

Also cut first thin redpine for mead. Yuck.  Two sticks per tree.  Got 206 trees in one hour though!

Tree Killer

Thats a nice stand. We've got some stands like that , i've even cut a few. I got a blister on my thumb to prove it lol. our softwood markets around here are'nt good. we usally make chips out of wood like that.

Thank You Sponsors!