iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Going price for White Pine

Started by Sawing 4 fun, January 04, 2013, 10:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawing 4 fun

Today I logged for the first time some 70 year old white pine trees. Just three trees were approx. 4,300 bf.
I have an 01 frick and am ready to mill them, but I'm not sure how to market them. Some of the logs were 36''
in diameter. Does anyone know what the going price per bf for rough cut white pine is? I live in southern Md.
Does anyone know how much does it add to the price to sell the lumber dried and planed?

As always, thanks for your time!
Gordon
Sawing 4 fun
with 01 Frick
Powered by 4-71
Detroit

Meadows Miller

Gday

Im not sure what you would get there but I get about $750 per thousand for rough sawn building pine here but we do have higher imput costs here  ;) if it was me Id aim at getting rid of it as barn siding or the like but you can always saw it and stick it out if you dont have an imediate purchase for it  ;)

Nice choice on the mill  ;) ;D ;D 8) timber or steel frame  ???

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

samandothers

Seems that size would make nice beams for timber frames.  Of course you have to find a market in you area.

HPPDRoss

I have purchased alot of white pine within the last several months for siding on a large barn. I just placed an order of 500bf for $250. The boards were 3/4*6.

Sawing 4 fun

Thanks for everyones input. I will place an add for white pine soon and see what the need is and go from there.

Thanks again,
Gordon
Gordon
Sawing 4 fun
with 01 Frick
Powered by 4-71
Detroit

SwampDonkey

Most white pine is trim wood and interior doors and if you go into those craft stores there is umpteen kinds of wooden trinkets made with white pine.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

toploader Ford

Anything that I have to cut out for an order and I don't have it in stock, is $1.00 a foot. Specially cut beams like 6x12's, 8x14's etc. I might charge $1.25. Anything longer than 16 feet is $2.00. If it's already sawn out, mostly 1x6's and 1x8's, it's .75, sometimes less depending on how I feel and how bad I want to get it moved out. A few years ago I wouldn't even take in White Pine unless it was given to me. Now I have found out it really is a useful wood, light, stable, and easy to saw if you can keep the pitch off the blade.

WindyAcres

Sounds good toploader Ford! There is beautiful white pine in the south of Nova Scotia.
2011 Woodmizer Lt40 Hyd G28, Stihl Chainsaws, Tractor with Farmi Winch, Woodturning Lathe,....

SwampDonkey

That mean they would make decent logs or are they old remnants left that were weaviled and blister rust damaged?  ;D Around here they leave the junk pine otherwise it's a solitary pine or two on the harvest block that would not be worth the effort because of trucking distance on partial loads. They make up big names for them in their management plans so they can say they followed through on it. But, they are usually junk. Now there can be some older stands with decent trees in areas where white pine is more prevalent, but around here they are sparse and you can see one here and there off in the distance when your on a high spot.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Meadows Miller

Theres some rough stuff about thats for sure SD  ;) Joe and I where cutting and splitting firewood out the front of his place in central PA and load after load of pine pulp went past every day over the pass thats he lives on  all I was saying was I could mill alot of bloody export cants outa that stuff  :) ;) :D :D

SwampDonkey

I'll save ya a few with some dead tops and you chase to solid wood by cutting out the rotten stuff. :D

Meadows Miller

:D :D Nah Ill pass  ;) :D :D :D Anyway im set as I have got over 50000 acres of Private Plantation that im trying to work out how to bloody process it all over the next 30 odd years  for the owners atm as they dont want to do export unless its in sawn or processed form which I am on the same page with them Mate  :) :)

Thank You Sponsors!