iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Large, choice cherry log pricing?

Started by Delawhere Jack, January 04, 2013, 07:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

Had a job today milling some white oak, really nice logs. The customer says that his son has has dozens of cherry and walnut trees down from the June 29th storm. He'd like to have some milled, and is interested in trading some logs in exchange for milling.

I haven't seen them personally, but the customer seemed to know a little bit. He said the cherry are 30-36" and larger and very good quality. I'd be picking them up from his farm. Am I in the ball park at 40 cents/bf? More, less? (assuming they are as described).

CalebL

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on January 04, 2013, 07:26:05 PM
Had a job today milling some white oak, really nice logs. The customer says that his son has has dozens of cherry and walnut trees down from the June 29th storm. He'd like to have some milled, and is interested in trading some logs in exchange for milling.

I haven't seen them personally, but the customer seemed to know a little bit. He said the cherry are 30-36" and larger and very good quality. I'd be picking them up from his farm. Am I in the ball park at 40 cents/bf? More, less? (assuming they are as described).

I charge $.35/bf unless it's over 36", then I charge $.45/bf or by the hour for those logs.  If I have to bring the chain saw out, it's by the hour, no exceptions.   
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

customsawyer

Are you getting the logs for you or the customer?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Delawhere Jack

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm trying to figure how much to offer him for the logs that I take in exchange for milling the other logs.

CalebL

Quote from: customsawyer on January 04, 2013, 07:35:42 PM
Are you getting the logs for you or the customer?

Good question, I took it to mean he was going to saw them for the customer. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

CalebL

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on January 04, 2013, 07:48:14 PM
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm trying to figure how much to offer him for the logs that I take in exchange for milling the other logs.

If the logs are all good logs, I try to even out on the doyle scale and trade out when the customer is with me and we split the logs.  He selects one, I select one. 

However, if you are going and getting them, I would say you are owed more.  Maybe 60/40 split. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

drobertson

When I cut on barter it is log for log size for size, most of the time they just don't want it to go to waste, be open and straight forth it will work out, if you want the lumber or can sell it that is,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Delawhere Jack

According to his father, this guy has sold some logs before. He took them to an Amish mill in Lancaster.

Putting everything else aside, what would you pay for nice cherry logs if you had to go an pick them up for your own use?

CalebL

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on January 04, 2013, 08:15:38 PM
According to his father, this guy has sold some logs before. He took them to an Amish mill in Lancaster.

Putting everything else aside, what would you pay for nice cherry logs if you had to go an pick them up for your own use?

$.28-.32 bf on doyle. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

Magicman

The very few times that I have sawed on shares, we split the logs 50-50 before any work was done.  Then I sawed his to his specifications.  My 50% was mine to saw when and how I chose.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on January 04, 2013, 08:54:57 PM
The very few times that I have sawed on shares, we split the logs 50-50 before any work was done.  Then I sawed his to his specifications.  My 50% was mine to saw when and how I chose.

Same here and the customer gets first choice and the last one if the numbers odd.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

CalebL

Quote from: Magicman on January 04, 2013, 08:54:57 PM

I would never saw on shares if I was sawing on the customers location.  If they bring the logs to me I will though. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

mikeb1079

Quotewhat would you pay for nice cherry logs if you had to go an pick them up for your own use?

probably around 30 cents a bf.  if delivered i'd prob go 40 cents.  remember even though they're nice at the end of the day they're just logs and you have to do an awful lot of sawing and drying before you can use em.  thats just my 2 cents a bf.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Magicman

Actually, I have never sawed on shares at a customer's location either.  If I had not wanted/needed the Cypress lumber, I would not have then either.  I am in the sawing business, not in the lumber business.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

sawing on shares has worked for me, economy is rough for most folks around here, and they just have projects to build, I can get ties from oak, and the pine I can sell for siding and 2X's it all works out,  as far as cherry, walnut and the more fancy cabinet builders wood, cut what they want, then do some calling around to see who might be needing some stock. Out right buying cherry, .30/bdft,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Fether Hardwoods

In southern Mi you wont touch logs of that size and quality for less than .80 probably 1.20 a bf.

WDH

I would jump on them for $.40/BF, but then again, down here, we don't get cherry like that very often. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Wenrich

Black or sweet?  Down in your area, the cherry doesn't run as good as it does on the plateau.  You need to watch out for gum streak.  Amish mills aren't noted for their high prices. 

I can't tell you a price, but call around to those Lancaster mills to see what they're paying.  That seems to be your competition.  Weaber might give you a price, and so will Lapp.  I only sawed the cherry that we couldn't sell as logs for a decent price.  Most of it was crooked and small.  It usually went to the casket company.

All the prices that have been quoted on the board, except one, are lower than what good oak logs go for.  I've seen cherry lumber advertised at $1.75/bf in my area.  I suspect that to be at the lower end in quality.  A lot would depend on your markets and how you think you'll price it out and how you think it'll saw out.  Logs of that size may be veneer quality.  You make more selling the log than sawing the lumber. 

The other factor to figure in is what are the quality of logs you're getting in trade.  If its the lower quality logs, then they become not much better than pallet logs.  If its the upper end, then you have something that will yield decent lumber. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

drobertson

I guess I am the low baller :o  Sometimes I get ahead of myself,  I have never seen more than a dozen cherry logs of this dia. and never have seen a load of cherry that amounted to more than 500bd'ft at a time. This is why I cannot pay much for the logs, I have never had enough to sell a full bundle. If I had a market, and there was a profit margin, I would be glad to pay for any log where the conditions were right.  Ron hit this one on the head, having a market is the first step in the decision making,  david

T Welsh

Jack, assuming that this man has sold some logs in the Lancaster area before tells me he knows the going price. Which depending on the grade of log is going to effect the price! Prime grade saw logs are going for 0.35 to 0.55 per bf.If they where really good logs then the price jumps to over a dollar a bf plus. Try to find out if he sold to an Amish mill, if he did,I would offer around 0.25 a bf. But it all depends on how good they are and how bad you want them. Its the (I have a million dollar Walnut log syndrome thing)! Tim

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: T Welsh on January 06, 2013, 09:31:22 AM
Jack, assuming that this man has sold some logs in the Lancaster area before tells me he knows the going price. Which depending on the grade of log is going to effect the price! Prime grade saw logs are going for 0.35 to 0.55 per bf.If they where really good logs then the price jumps to over a dollar a bf plus. Try to find out if he sold to an Amish mill, if he did,I would offer around 0.25 a bf. But it all depends on how good they are and how bad you want them. Its the (I have a million dollar Walnut log syndrome thing)! Tim

According to his father, when he tried selling to the Amish he did little better than covering his cost in gas. Hopefully that has cured any "million dollar log" dreams.

Thank You Sponsors!