iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

portable Belsaw

Started by loggah, January 04, 2013, 05:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggah

Here is a picture of my Belsaw portable sawmill,its a 36' long trailer made of 8" channel iron,i can cut 20' long or 22' if i struggle with it. The engine is a 54 H.P. Volkswagen industrial engine. The engine is set governed at 3400 R.P.M. which results in a arbor speed of 750 R.P.M. the saw blade is a Simonds 44" insert tooth number 3 inserts with standall teeth.The carriage was 10' but i lengthened it to 14' and put 2 post dogs on it to help break down long or oversize logs.the carriage travels around 750" per minute towards the saw and 3 times faster on the gigback,needless to say it moves fast !!!!There is a belsaw edger also built in the takeoff side. At the end of the day by moving a few idler pulleys and changing a set of belts,remove a guard ,jack up the edger and you are ready to edge the slabs you set aside during the day.The picture is not the greatest and i will try and get Cheryl to take some more its a neat little unit. Don

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

loggah

trying a bit bigger picture, hope it works. Don

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Good Pic Don......looks like a post card.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

loggah

I guess i'll have to be nice and thank my wife now !!! ;D ;D Don

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: loggah on January 04, 2013, 06:50:30 PM
I guess i'll have to be nice and thank my wife now !!! ;D ;D Don

I see you are an educated man.  :) Behind every man is a good Woman.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

captain_crunch

M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

captain_crunch

Sir
could not get er done will try morrow But LOVE your gun collection My oldest son has Dads 99 e or f in 300 sav neet old rifles but yours look kinda flashy
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

loggah

Capt. There are a bunch of logging,sawmill pictures in the vault pictures, ya i like lever action rifles ,i guess savages  pretty well. Don

captain_crunch

Got rest on your other post
Brian

loggah

theres my old sc case thats hooked to my stationary belsaw setup, to be replaced by a 60 H.P. massey diesel this spring. Don

bandmiller2

Don,is that you steering a Lombard log haulah.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

loggah

Yup, back when i was young and my beard had color !! ;D Don

bandmiller2

Is that your Lombard Don.??What size boiler tubes do they use.? Back in the eighties I was heavy into steam an Ajax 8 1/2 x 11" engine on an AB Farquar horizontal boiler on wheels.Ran a circular mill and Chase shinglemill with it. Frank C.

loggah

Bandmiller, No the steamer is not mine,but i did help rebuild it , it took 12 years of rounding up parts and making them to rebuild it. I believe the tubes are 2" diameter,i know cutting them out and rolling new ones in was quite a chore,if i remember correctly there are 112 tubes its a 100 H.P. boiler at 200lb. steam pressure. We had it running again two winters ago you have to keep the old iron limbered up. ;D There was a article in Live steam about our restoration,i'll look at my copy and get the year and month for you. Don

shelbycharger400

200 psi in a steam engine... wow..   most I here people run is 150 psi.      It dosnt sound much,  but it is! 

with  the portable belsaw unit,  Id be interested as to where you have the engine mounted at.

loggah

Shelby,There used to be a old guy by the name of Pelletier  who had a steam lombard up in the Portage Maine area,he could always pull more wood then any of the other steamer operators,he used to crank his safetys to 300lbs !!!!!! said he never had any trouble with the boiler inspectors they wouldn't even come near his machine !!!!  The engine is right above the axles, i'll try and get some more pictures this week.

bandmiller2

Your a big fella Don,you didn't have to crawl in the firebox did you.??I used to have to pull the grates and crawl in the fire box to roll and bead the tubes.Have a boot tool to fit the pneumatic rivet gun would just be doing fine and it wood shoot the tool out the tube and I'd have to crawl out and fetch it.200 pounds is alot of pressure,my old boiler was 150 lb.in its prime I ran it just below 100 lbs,hydro test to 160lb.What size dozer would you compare its pulling power to.??  Frank C.

loggah

Bandmiller, The grate are is pretty big,around 2 1/2' x4'  so i had enough room, one of the other guys was 6'6" and he fit in there. cutting out the old tubes was a pain because you didn't want to nick the tubesheet!!! we had a pneumatic tube roller ,and then we staked them just like you did. I helped retube a Blood or J.C. Hodley one time when i was pretty young ,and i could fit thru the door!!  I think the old steamers would pull about the same as the old D7E cat. Don

captain_crunch

Me take D-7E (my personal favorite crawler) over steamer ::) ::) Big loud booms and ending up steamed clam dont sound real apealing to me ;D ;D

loggah

;D ;D The Lombard boilers were real stout ,they made them both lap seam,and butt seam,and they knew they were moving and flexing so they were especially heavy duty. I never heard any stories of any blowing up. You have to have capable engineers on them because you are not moving on the level, to much water you get saturated steam,to little and you got a chance of overheating a crown sheet going downhill. If you ever get a chance to read a book titled "SAM WHITE ALASKAN" its pretty funny, he was one of Alaskas first gamewardens and bush pilots, They were interviewing him about such a dangerous occupation and being scared, he said the only time he was scared was when he was a "STEERSMAN on a steam log hauler in his home state of Maine !!! ;D Don

Peter Drouin

Hi loggah, and welcome, do saw a lot of wood? Im just down the road from you in sanbornton :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

loggah

Peter,Just a hop ,skip, and jump from here . I used to have Brad Laughy do a bit of trucking for me. I have only been sawing as a hobby for a little while ,but i been involved in logging  for "MANY" years. i was also into construction ,and worked building a few cell tower sites. You probably see a bunch of my brothers  stuff running the roads down your way ,he owns "TOP NOTCH" tree experts business . Don

hardtailjohn

Quote from: captain_crunch on January 08, 2013, 12:12:21 PM
Me take D-7E (my personal favorite crawler) over steamer ::) ::) Big loud booms and ending up steamed clam dont sound real apealing to me ;D ;D

Steam engines and boilers are actually very safe...it's the idiots that don't pay attention to running them properly that are dangerous!!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

bandmiller2

Steam roller boilers are built like the Lombard boiler but for a different reason they know the operators leave alot to be desired. Frank C.

loggah

Those steam rollers will move right out if you take the governor belt off them !! but there a real pain to stuff coal in,almost got to stand on your head.

Peter Drouin

Ya brad and his brother mike, we have been friends for over 35 years .
and yes I have seen top notch trucks around
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

loggah

Well Cheryl took some more pictures of the portable Belsaw yesterday,  when i moved the Timberjack over there.  heres a few. Don

thecfarm

Lights to saw at night even. pretty clever putting the motor down under.Looks like an edger that can be pulled up and used?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

I like your flak shield Don,even a built in edger,what are you using for an engine.?? Frank C.

loggah

54 H.P.  Volkswagen industrial,the clutch control is back at the operator area. You can crank the edger up and put the belts on, flop a idler pulley ,remove the guard ,and your edging. You cannot run the saw and edger at the same time. Generally you save all the pieces that need edging till the end of the day ,takes about 15 minutes to change over. Don

Meadows Miller

Gday

Loggah thats is a bloody tidy litte mill there  :) ;D ;D 8) I assume you have sawn alot of timber on er and how long have you had it Mate  ???

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

loggah

Chris,Actually  i just got it last summer, it had set for 15 years when i bought it ,i had to spend about 150 hrs tinkering it up and changing a few things around. I haven't sawn much 1500 BD FT maybe  but it does real well. I actually talked to the fellow who built it back in 1979 and hes a design engineer and said he took a year to build it. I been pulling out logs today with the old timberjack ,so i will be ready to saw again right after sugaring season. Don

Meadows Miller

Awesome  :) ;D are you just planing on milling your own stuff or sawing for others or sale too Mate  ???
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Dave Shepard

Very neat. I like the built in edger. What is that in the background, D-5B?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

loggah

I am just sawing some stuff for a equipment shed i "NEED"  to build, i got a few  guys that want me to saw some pine shingles this spring, when you saw lumber and shingles there aint much waste in the tree. Its a straight D-5 and a little John Deere 24 skid steer. In the first picture is a Allis -Chalmers 653 dozer.  Theres a few komatsu D 155s and a Cat 235b  around the corner!!! i just got to much junk hanging around ! ;D Don

captain_crunch

Don
Are you going to keep it portable or set up stationary ??
if so here are some better pics of my log turning system

even the Crunch debarker system ::)

this sure keeps from beating up the light belsaw knees Mill was shut down or the lock out on carrage feed lever would have been flipped to lock carrage keeping it from getting its own ideas :o :o

loggah

I'm going to keep that one portable, and make my other one  over into the heavy duty stationary  . i been cutting some pine and dragging it out to both mills ,last couple days, i do like your turner !! i see you have the holes in your brow beams like i do,stick the peavey point in them and slide the cant onto the carriage. Don

hardtailjohn

Captain, do you just roll the turners up by hand or is there a lever or something to get them up? I like that setup... gotta get something on mine.
John

captain_crunch

John
there is a bolt welded on inside of first Half Moon that you grab to roll Moons up with works slick. Would love to see your set up be far from smart but know a fellow who is  so maybe we can compare notes and help each outher out :P :P
Brian

bandmiller2

Brian,I've always admired your log turners,only fault I could find is it being hard for you to get over to the peavy you must step up on the deck.What if you removed the two planks closest to the carriage and put a hinged gate just on your side.You could walk easily to the peavy to turn and dog the log/cant just drop the gate section to load. Frank C.

hardtailjohn

Brian, thanks!  Mine's still sitting in a snow bank...but hopefully this spring.........
John

captain_crunch

Frank
That is one design flaw ::) But we had to use saw frame to anchor deck to beings we were lacking subframe to atatch to. I need to build a better step rather than a cookie cut off a log :D :D When we have a crew one of us generaly hangs out up there and stages logs with tractor. In these small logs I generaly only roll log once. Once I get 90° generaly slice log into 1 or 2 in slabs then resaw them too much waste if you make cants. But on a bigger log once you get a cant things go zing,zing ;D ;D

bandmiller2

Brian, how did I know you had it all figured out.I usally don't mess with smaller logs and almost always cut from a cant.Getting to the cant I generate boards that must be edged,which I would much rather do on the circular saw than the band.If I was earning my beans doing this I would certinly own an edger. Frank C.

loggah

Having the edger built in to the portable mill works pretty well!!

captain_crunch

Frank
Got edger in planning(even paid for) but just not put together yet

Thank You Sponsors!