iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's going on with Woodmizer customer support? ** UPDATED **

Started by CalebL, January 04, 2013, 05:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalebL

First time I called today at 2pm I waited on hold for 24 minutes for the next customer service tech to take me call.  Couldn't wait any longer hung up.  Called again at 3:10 waited for 18 minutes, another call came through that I had to take.  Called the final time at 3:45 and I'm still on waiting on hold.  That's almost 45 minutes waiting on hold if you were wondering. 

Are they closed today and they forgot to tell everyone or what? 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

ladylake

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

buzzegray

Did you tell them the second time you called that you had a long wait ?
Maybe something is wrong.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Sometimes they do get busy on Fridays. I've never had to wait over 3 or 4 minutes.
Do you realize how many more customers there are vs. customer Techs? A lot.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

terrifictimbersllc

I'm familiar with hearing the option to have them give you a phone call back, when I've been on hold more than a few minutes.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

customsawyer

I know every joke that the comedian tells. ;D When you have a problem and you need there help you have to be patience as they will be on there as soon as they can. I know that I am guilty of keeping a tech on the phone for 30- 45 min. myself so I understand that I might have to wait for my turn. ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

CalebL

Quote from: buzzegray on January 04, 2013, 06:09:27 PM
Did you tell them the second time you called that you had a long wait ?
Maybe something is wrong.

I didn't get a hold of them the second time I called.  I had another call beep in that I had to take.  I hung up on woodmizer after 18 minutes on hold.
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

barbender

The tech usually picks up just as I am getting into the comedian they have playing, I ask the tech if I can put him on hold for a minute so I can hear the punchline :D It is frustrating being on hold for that long, though. They must've been busy, that long of a wait isn't typical though. And, like Jake says, they don't rush you off the line when you get through. You were probably waiting while Jake was yackin' their ear off ;D
Too many irons in the fire

CalebL

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 04, 2013, 06:46:17 PM
I'm familiar with hearing the option to have them give you a phone call back, when I've been on hold more than a few minutes.

No option of leaving a message to have them call back.  Only the same mind numbing song over and over and over and over and over and over again............
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

tyb525

Last time I to call WM customer service, which was a couple years ago, I got an indian guy in a call center who couldn't tell me much.

But when I need blades it's better :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

drobertson

this has happended a time or two, the comedian is funny, but eating up my minutes is not. I have not had this long of a wait ever, I will go just under 5 min hang up and do some busy work then call back.  It would be nice if there was an option for leaving a call back number.  I do try to be ready with the volt meter and panels off if I think we will get into the trouble shooting mode before I call.  I also double check the battery connections, just all the connections before calling, I have found that many calls can be avoided if this is done first. However it has taken a few years to get to this point. New owners might have a learning curve to battle through.    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

CalebL

Quote from: barbender on January 04, 2013, 07:12:41 PM
The tech usually picks up just as I am getting into the comedian they have playing, I ask the tech if I can put him on hold for a minute so I can hear the punchline :D It is frustrating being on hold for that long, though. They must've been busy, that long of a wait isn't typical though. And, like Jake says, they don't rush you off the line when you get through. You were probably waiting while Jake was yackin' their ear off ;D

No comedian either.  Just an elevator song playing over and over.  Anyway, I finally got sent through to a parts person after being on hold for 52 minutes.  They were about to close.  He apologized for the extremely long wait period and tried to help (I was on hold for electrical help).   He told me they were busy today and several people left early. 

Anyway, here is my problem (the parts guy tried to help but it wasn't the problem).  I have an LT40 Hyd with simple set.  My power feed switch stopped working and when you engage the drum switch, it will travel full speed forward regardless of where the potentiometer is set.  The reverse work fine.  The parts guy had me send my head all the way to the end of the rail and keep the drum switch activated forward and look to see what lights were lighting up on the back board inside the control panel.  The "Power" light and the "Out" light was on.  The "In" light was on but very weak and flickering.  The "OV" and "OL" light were not on.  He told me to turn the feed pot up and down to see if the lights got brighter and they didn't.  He said the potentiometer was bad and to replace it. 

I took it out and went to radioshack and bought a new one.  Installed it and it still does the same thing.  What now? 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

Bibbyman

I think Woodmizer has service until noon on Saturday.  Probably need to get to Sparks or another electric guy.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: CalebL on January 04, 2013, 07:25:16 PM
Quote from: barbender on January 04, 2013, 07:12:41 PM

No comedian either.  Just an elevator song playing over and over.  Anyway, I finally got sent through to a parts person after being on hold for 52 minutes.  They were about to close.  He apologized for the extremely long wait period and tried to help (I was on hold for electrical help).   He told me they were busy today and several people left early. 

Anyway, here is my problem (the parts guy tried to help but it wasn't the problem).  I have an LT40 Hyd with simple set.  My power feed switch stopped working and when you engage the drum switch, it will travel full speed forward regardless of where the potentiometer is set.  The reverse work fine.  The parts guy had me send my head all the way to the end of the rail and keep the drum switch activated forward and look to see what lights were lighting up on the back board inside the control panel.  The "Power" light and the "Out" light was on.  The "In" light was on but very weak and flickering.  The "OV" and "OL" light were not on.  He told me to turn the feed pot up and down to see if the lights got brighter and they didn't.  He said the potentiometer was bad and to replace it. 

I took it out and went to radioshack and bought a new one.  Installed it and it still does the same thing.  What now?
800-553-0182. Get their electrical technical support on the phone and work with them to diagnose it.  If you cant get through then get the operator and leave a message there for an electrical support tech to call you back.   Up to only recently this was an option when on hold for a while.  They have recently installed a new telephone system and there have been some glitches. I have probably called them at least once a month (or so) for some reason or another, for the last 5 years.  The experiences described above are mostly foreign to me.  Sometimes I do have to wait a bit, but I have used this time to  to open up things up, get out the meter, check a few ideas of my own, etc.   p.s. yes, you have to get them before noon on Saturday, call first thing in the morning.  good luck.   p.s.s.  it helps to have a 12V test light, if you don't have one, get one.  This lets you visually see voltage changes at the mill head (light gets brighter) when turning the potentiometer up.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

customsawyer

Try them back in the morning. I would not be to confident that the Radio Shack part is up to par with the rigors of sawmilling.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

CalebL

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 04, 2013, 07:36:36 PM
800-553-0182. Get their electrical technical support on the phone and work with them to diagnose it.  If you cant get through then get the operator and leave a message there for an electrical support tech to call you back.   Up to only recently this was an option when on hold for a while.  They have recently installed a new telephone system and there have been some glitches. I have probably called them at least once a month (or so) for some reason or another, for the last 5 years.  The experiences described above are mostly foreign to me.  Sometimes I do have to wait a bit, but I have used this time to  to open up things up, get out the meter, check a few ideas of my own, etc.   p.s. yes, you have to get them before noon on Saturday, call first thing in the morning.  good luck

I will.  Thanks for that number.  I was calling 1-800-525-8100.  I have called them several times before and never been on hold for more than 5 minutes.  This was bizarre. 

The really weird part was I was sawing, stopped for about an hour to take a break and go back to sawing and the power feed does this.  I hate gremlins. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

terrifictimbersllc

Not sure if you have a remote mill or not.  Anyway here's an idea.  If you can physically poke around at the wires in the box where the circuit board is, and make something different happen, you might be able to pick up on a loose connection or something like that.  Since your problem is that the head goes forward at full speed, then you cant engage the forward switch while doing your poking.  However you could possibly disconnect the wires to the feed motor and measure their voltage (with a meter or test light), while you explore for a loose connection with the feed switch in the forward position.  Just an idea.

pineywoods

Caleb, you probably have a bad H bridge, normal mode of failure is to short, which puts full forward voltage to the feed motor. That pot that you changed is the input to the H bridge. Unless you are an electronics type, the fix is to replace the circuit board. Electronic stuff usually fails when first powered on.. Had the same thing happen to my 95 LT40..   Must be something going on, I've never had to wait more than a few minutes...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

CalebL

Quote from: pineywoods on January 04, 2013, 08:24:23 PM
Caleb, you probably have a bad H bridge, normal mode of failure is to short, which puts full forward voltage to the feed motor. That pot that you changed is the input to the H bridge. Unless you are an electronics type, the fix is to replace the circuit board. Electronic stuff usually fails when first powered on.. Had the same thing happen to my 95 LT40..   Must be something going on, I've never had to wait more than a few minutes...

How much for a new board?
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

DR_Buck

Quote from: CalebL on January 04, 2013, 08:32:42 PM
Quote from: pineywoods on January 04, 2013, 08:24:23 PM

How much for a new board?

You can log into the owners section of their web page and look up the part number and price.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

CalebL

Quote from: DR_Buck on January 04, 2013, 08:50:33 PM
You can log into the owners section of their web page and look up the part number and price.

I did that but can't find the part I need unless its the whole Panel Assy, Power Feed Control Kit 97+ part number 024458 for $353.50.  Please don't let it be that......ugh.
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

Magicman

I talked with electrical support today, and I can assure you that they were busy.  I talked with the "operator" twice and finally left my number and Boyd called me back.  I guess that is the first time that I have ever talked with him.

My problem is with the PCB2 circuit board in the control panel causing my temperature lamp to constantly glow dimly.  The shipping notice says that it will be here on the 8th.  I finished a job last week with the problem, plus I can still saw.

I had looked the part# up and could have ordered it myself online, but I wanted to verify with someone that my thinking was correct.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

CalebL

Quote from: Dan_Shade on January 04, 2013, 09:13:09 PM
I had a similar problem a few months ago:  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,60110.msg881101.html#msg881101

good luck in fixing your problem

So your problem was the potentiometer?  If so, did you order a new one from Woodmizer or find locally? 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

Thank You Sponsors!