iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

planer blade torque

Started by trapper, January 04, 2013, 03:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

I have a delta 22-560 planer that I need to replace the blades.  Had to use hand impact driver to get the screws removed.  Rounded out some of the heads so bought new screws ($1.60 each) and salesman said don't overtighten. They tighten more by themself. No manual as I bought it used.  Anybody know the proper torque for them?
Thanks
Marv

PS Tried looking online for manual but couldn't find any without signing up for somthing.  Dont need a lot of junk email.  Paper junk mail i dont mind. Makes heat when I throw it into OWB. ;D
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

woodmills1

I assume they are phillips screws?

I would make as tight as I could and plane a few boards, then stop and check their tighness

If they are heax heads I would tighten to what I could with a short wrench
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

terrifictimbersllc

Google 22-560 manual:
http://www.mikestools.com/download/Delta-Planer-Owners-manuals/22-560.pdf
Shows how to change blades, doesn't say how tight to tighten though.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Handy Andy

Is this a helical head planer, or straight blades.  Helical heads I'm told are to be tightened 20 inch pounds.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

trapper

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

tyb525

I tighten mine to "snug enough I'm not afraid they'll come flying out, but I'll still be able to get them out next time". The first time I changed the blades on my Grizzly I stripped one of the little allen bolts. They sent a new one for free luckily.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Thank You Sponsors!