iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New LT10 might get here tomorrow

Started by rimshot, January 03, 2013, 10:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rimshot

Well, I have about 70 nice sticks of Cedar in the woodlot and I was waiting for  friend with a nice big portable sawmill to come and custom saw for me.  I need about 400 bf to sheet my deck.  The poor guy has been suffering with a back ache and had to cancel.  Well, I took the plunge and ordered a new wood mizer LT10.

I will start out on this forum hopefully with a bigger ear then mouth.  I am learning to be a sawyer so I need to listen more than tell stories.  Having said that I appreciate being a member and am looking forward to learning lots from the rest of you.  I might even be able to manage a story or two myself.

I have a nice little front end loader on my small tractor and so far I have yet to meet a log my tractor can't handle.  I'm sure it will be handy around the mill.

In that this LT10 is without an axle and wheels it is going to be hard to handle.  I will be looking for ideas to move it around and put it in the barn when not in use.  Maybe if I got an aold boat traile and have my welder frind add a frame for my little lt10.  Any suggestions out there?

rimshot
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

Berggie

Welcome to the forum Rimshot , I have been listening for a while. You will learn allot here. :new_year:
Home built/modified Linn 1900, Dolmar saw, farmall H with loader. Log rite.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I love it Rimshot.

If the man don't show up with his mill......Just go buy your own Wood-Mizer.  :D

That'll show him.

Welcome to the Forum.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Good advice Paul.....I forgot about 'Ol Jar Head.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, Rimshot.  With a tractor with a loader, you will be somewhat ahead of the game when your LT10 arrives.  It does some pretty work. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

dboyt

Welcome to the forum, Rimshot.  You'll learn as you go, and you'll love it!  Be sure to get a dozen extra blades for when you saw into nails and clams & things, & keep a sharp chain on your saw, too.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

dgdrls

rim shot welcome aboard  :)
I've said in the past this is the best place on the Internet hands down
there is a wealth of knowledge and folks are great.
You will find lots of help and experience with your Mill
so I'll weigh-in here.
I mounted my LT-10 on wood 4x8's and placed an old
yard trailer axle and wheels under it just to help move it around.
I moved it exactly once :D

DGDrls

thecfarm

rimshot,welcome to the forum. It's nice to be able to cut your own trees,than saw the logs,than use the lumber.   ;D  What state do you live in? Maybe your friend sharpens his own blades and will do yours?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

Welcome Rimshot,tell us where your located.With a manual mill you need gravity to be your friend.Deck first project,second a roof over your mill.Set your mill up at a comfy working hight,with a dead deck to roll logs on easily.Not good form to load logs on the mill with a loader,sooner or later you'll damage something.Its not good to keep moving a stationary mill,set it up level with a roof and save your barn space.Wile your getting your feet wet WM resharp would be the best route to sharp bands.Go slow be carefull and enjoy yourself. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum,    rimshot.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Sounds like an exciting day.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

rimshot

Thanks for all of the welcomes and great tips.  And special thanks for those who posted the pictures.  I guess I need to get more blades than the six I purchased with the mill.  It also sounds like I will need to make plans for  some posts and a roof over the mill.  I sure hope that freight company is heading this way today.  Someody was wondering where I am from.  I'm a yooper frm Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

POLSTON l40HD said:

"If the man don't show up with his mill......Just go buy your own Wood-Mizer.  :D

That'll show him."

Darn, I can see i'll get nothing past you guys around here.  I worked hard coming up with that one.  OK, The guy I had scheduled to saw and I worked that out ahead of time.  My wife is still shaking her head over tht deal and I'm still trying to convince her it's a better world because of it and that I really hate it when  this happens.   Sheesh! A guy fails to show with his wood-Mizer and I just about had to take  the wrap for it.  (big grin)

It's a dirty job but someone has to do it.

rimshot
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

slider

Check out WDH's gallery,I like the way he blocked his mill up and added a deck.Not so much bending over.Now if you can just figure out the picture posting thing we might believe your story.Welcome ,and great story.
al glenn

isawlogs

A boat trailer with a couple of rollers added to the back with a removable skid ramp and a better winch then those boat winchs should be all you need to get your mill in and out of the shelter you have already until a permanent place for it to sit in is up.
I would use the resharp program here if it was available, sharpening blades is a pain at times ...  ::)  You really should get a more blades, you can go  through six blades in a very short period of time  ;) Then you will need a sawdust fix and won't get it because of lack of blade to make the sawdust.   :P :)
    Look into the resharp program with Wood-Mizer a lot of sawyers use it. I know a few that don't have Wood-Mizer mills and use it.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

paul case

Rimshot,

There sure was a lot of empty space on your last post, did you fall asleep on the return button? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sorry inside joke.

I guess we will know when it shows up by your absense here for extended periods of time, like all daylight hours and then some. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

rooster 58

Hi Rimshot, welcome to the forum. I've been listening, and askin a little since October. Good luck with your mill :new_year:

Leigh Family Farm

My boss recently had some major gas line problems at his home in the city (Philly) and had to have PGW come out to dig up the sidewalk. Well there was two cars parked right where they needed to dig. My boss goes "need a tow truck to move the cars?", PGW replies "nah, we'se can move thems rselves" (read in the best philly accent you can imagine). My boss was bewildered...

PGW took a wheeled floor jack, boosted the car, put the tires on these heavy duty dollies, and just pushed the cars across the street!  :laugh: :D

Might be an idea for moving your mill around?
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

rimshot

No LT10 just yet.  I'm sure it will get here next week.  The freight companys get dizzy handing freight off to one another.

I was wondering,  if a man with a mill sawed a few logs up for another and it was decided the matter could be settled by the sawyer taking a portion of the rough sawn matieriel then what would that proportion be.......25%?  33%?  Just need to know the normal trade range.

Thanks to shotgun for showing me the ropes so far as posting pics.  As soon as I get the new LT10 I will post some jpegs.

rim

beenthere

rimshot
Dividing up that "portion" no matter what the percentage can be the frustration.

Decide ahead of time if you need the lumber from his logs. If so, then decide how to divide up the logs he brings into his pile and your pile. Saw his the way he wants them sawed, and after he is gone then saw your pile. Fewer headaches.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Any such arrangement is of course open to negotiations between the customer and the sawyer. Beenthere makes a good point that it would generally be best to divide the logs up before sawing, letting the chips fall where they may. It's a lot easier to split up the logs than it is to look at each board and decide "your's or mine?"

I'm no sawyer but in the years I've followed the board it seems that a fifty-fifty split is quite reasonable in most cases and in some cases even more for the sawyer. Sorta depends on how much lumber is involved and how badly the customer wants it sawn, as well as how much the sawyer wants the lumber. It don't make much since to saw on shares unless you need the lumber, either for your own use or to sell into a known market.

Good Luck!

Be Careful!

Herb

Chuck White

I agree!

1. Divide up the logs.

2. Split 50/50 or more in the sawyers favor if he needs the lumber.

Also, factor in whether or not the customer helps with the sawing.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

This same topic just came up in another thread.  The very few times that I have ever sawed on shares it was because I actually had a need for the lumber species.  The split was 50-50.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!