iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shed Lumber

Started by Slab Slicer, January 03, 2013, 09:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slab Slicer

Finally got the what I think will be all the lumber I need for the shed I'm planning for this spring. I'm sure I'll need some more 4/4 for the siding, or the roof decking, but I have 2 more logs on standby for that. 99% is Norway Spruce, with some white pine mixed in. The spruce presented a challenge with the dense knots, but it was a learning experience. Here's one of the larger spruce logs that were milled.

Color coded to help ID after milling

Made this pic my avatar. 4/4 to the rear (random width for now), and full dimension 2x4's, and 2x8's in the front.

And here's what I use to move the logs around the property. A kubota BX 1500. Not a big machine by any stretch of the imagination, but it's doing the job so far. Well, on most of the logs anyway. It sure wouldn't hurt to have a bigger machine.

2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

beenthere

Slab Slicer
You should be rewarded well with some good straight lumber given that careful job of stacking and aligning stickers. Maybe some weight and some covers will add to the yield too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Slab Slicer

All stacks are covered now, and I'm looking for something to weigh it down. Any suggestions? How about some scrap slab first cuts that are stacked just out of the picture?
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

WDH

I stack the low grade on the top to help with the weight.  The best stuff always goes on the bottom.  It works out pretty good.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dakota

I keep a bunch of cinder blocks around for weights.  They are cheap and you can use them for all kinds of things.
Dave Rinker

uplander

Do you have Carpenter Bees where you live?

Uplander
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

Slab Slicer

Quote from: uplander on January 04, 2013, 02:42:34 PM
Do you have Carpenter Bees where you live?

Uplander

Yes we do. Not this time of year of course, but they do show up. Once I find them in some piece of wood on the house, I spray a little brake cleaner in the hole, and they usually don't come out, and others won't bother with that hole afterwards.

I've got some cinder blocks I can use, but not many. I do have a bunch of the waste cuts that I can throw on top of the tarp that's covering the lumber. Let's hope that does the job.
Chuck

SAWMILL BUDDY

Nice stack of lumber. Cut an old log in half and set them on top. That will hold it down. ;D

black spruce

Good evening slab slicer for softwood I put one 3x3 on top of the load center to the sticker line the total width of the batten has to be 1-3 shorter than the stack width then I strap them with polyester strapping at very tension this bring a big amount of downward force to the row and greatly contribute to reduce the grade loss in the stack then I put a cover like steel roofing the overhang couple inch....

The polyester strapping has a memory that will contract and keep a tension even when your wood shrink....

Great stacking so far good luck with your project

Sebastien

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Slab Slicer on January 04, 2013, 06:31:18 PM
[
... that I can throw on top of the tarp that's covering the lumber.

You'd be better off using old roofing tin to cover your stacks. Tarps tend to capture the moisture and lead to problems with fungus and mold growing on the lumber...

Nice looking stacks of nice looking lumber. Be a shame to mess it up at this point.

Herb

Slab Slicer

Even if the tarp isn't wrapped tight on the lumber? I leave room for air to get into the stack. With only roofing to cover the top, wouldn't that allow rain to blow in from the sides, keeping the lumber from drying? Just trying to understand.
Chuck

thecfarm

I myself hate tarps as a long term protection. I use one to cover my wood pile by the OWB,but remove it when no snow in sight. And with a tarp once the dampness gets in,it can't get back out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Someone mentioned low grade on top, think it was WDH, this is the best for me, the top most often takes the abuse, I do the same, then put slabs on top when I have to for weight. Your stacks look great, and you may not have that much low grade, so use the slabs bark up, cover with two or three layers, covering the gaps,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

doctorb

I find that if I don't tie any terpene down tight, I find it elsewhere after some wind.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

drobertson

You got that right doc, you can figure they make sails from these things for a reason.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

talldog

Don't worry about rain blowing in at the sides. Those sides are very important for wind to blow through. If you use a tarp on top,don't have it hang over the sides much.Just enough to fasten it.

Thank You Sponsors!