iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did ya hear about the Guy that called this morning?

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 03, 2013, 04:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

:D  I thought about that after I wrote it ;D  only you would think that way 8)  If I must, the 7's really do a great job on pine logs, mainly because they cut so fast and just kill those pesky knots 8)
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Cedarman

All this talk of sawing big, dry white oak brings back nightmares.  Ya'll set here at the computer discussing blade thickness, degree of tip etc.  And maybe get a little antsy about putting that big white oak log on the mill because it might be a little tough to saw.

Try sawing some 20" dry white oak with a manual LT30 with a 14HP engine using .035 blades with 10 degree angle.  You may ask, "Now why would you even attempt that and by the way where do you get .035 blades?"
Answer, year 1984, only blades available for 14HP mill.  AND, we set blades with a little hand setter, no guages, and the sharpener was a small manual that you could only grind the face of the tooth. 

I still remember sawing that day.  Seemed like it took an hour to go from one end of log to another.  Waves, almost got seasick on a couple of the boards.  Luckily the wood was for farm lumber.
Although still challenging, difference is like flying in a jet compared to hopping a ride with the Wright Brothers.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 04, 2013, 09:20:16 PM
Quote from: Delawhere Jack on January 04, 2013, 07:29:31 PM
Why wouldn't you want to mill any over 30" Are you AFRAID!?!?!?!!!    :o

All right, sit down Jack and listen.  :D

I have sawed nothing but Pine, Pine, Pine. I love sawing Pine. I do saw a little bit of Cherry when I'm lucky enough to get some. I also saw a good bit of Cedar and a little Walnut......but mostly PINE.

I have sawn Red Oak and White Oak. I have only used the 10 degree blade.
I really need to give the 4 degree blades a chance. They will probably change my mind about sawing Oak.

I have sawn quite a few White Oaks 33 inches. But with a 10 degree blade and the head that high in the air, and having to creep on a 20" wide cant because the 10 degree want pull the sawdust out fast enough.......WELL IT JUST GETS TIME CONSUMING AND BORING.  >:(

My Dad always said.....use the right tool for the job and you will have a more enjoyable time.
So I'm gonna use the right blade for the job and see how I like it then.

I'm outta breath now Jack.  :D  :) :) :)

Gotcha!!!  :)

(You're right, the big stuff can be a real bear to deal with).

taylorsmissbeehaven

I saw mostly pine myself. I just got some 7 degree blades and sawed some oak and poplar. both older and dry and was amazed! I really like em. looking forward to trying the 4s. I cant wait to see some pics of all that oak stacked up. I'm drooling just thinking about it. Im headed out to cut more poplar in just a few minutes but will be checking in to see your progress POSTON, keep us updated!Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

WDH

Will the 25 HP LT 15 handle a 7 degree blade?  The question is is (RIP Tom) there enough HP to do an adequate job with A 7 degree blade?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Meadows Miller

Gday

Dave looks  like a pretty good gig you have going there with the oak and you will find it alrite going but im with you on Loving sawing Pine Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Danny Im running a TK B-20 and running 7s in some pretty tough going in dry recycled hardwood beams and such but they saw well with the 30hp im running on that mill and i can also turn around and run Cypress on the same saws too so I would not see any dramas with running them on the LT15 Mate  ;)

Rgards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've sawn 67 boards 2-1/4" x 8" wide. Getting about 8-9 boards per log with a few 1" mics. lumber. The good thing I have had going for me, most of the logs do not have knots on them. This had helped when using the 10° blade. Until the 4 ° blades get here, I just pick out the best logs to saw, I still saw slow with the 10° but with out the knots, the finish is smoother. The customer picked the first load up yesterday. Took 2 trips with the trailer he had.
A lot of customers load their boards by hand.....Buddy said he wasn't gonna touch them....Just put the forks under them and dump them on the trailer.  :) Sure makes it easier that way.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

Nice pics , but no snow, your missing all the fun :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 06, 2013, 01:17:09 PM
Nice pics , but no snow, your missing all the fun :D :D :D

Don't put a jinx on me Peter and mention Snow. I hate cold weather.  :)

Brad_bb

POSTONLT40HD, this customer is going to properly stack and sticker them correct?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

thecfarm

I hate it too.  ;D But there are fewer bugs at 20° and fewer people too.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Brad_bb on January 06, 2013, 03:01:21 PM
POSTONLT40HD, this customer is going to properly stack and sticker them correct?

These are going directly for bed boards.
He is a contractor that clears land. These logs came from when the Sports Academy was built in my town.

I asked him after he got all his trucks and trailers bedded was he going to sticker it under a shed.
he said no....not stickered. It will be stored out of the weather though.

I can remember when I was young, my Dad bought some lumber sawn from dried White Oak logs. He bought 2 x 10's for a cattle corral. He stored them for 3 years just plained stacked out of the weather before he built the corral. It never made ay difference.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Brad_bb on January 06, 2013, 03:01:21 PM

Brad....you have a good question and our love for wood is what justified your question. A many of times I have asked the same question to customers......"You are going to stack and sticker it?"

I'm gonna tell ya a little about some people in the South.  :D

The guy this White Oak belongs to does nothing but clear land for development. His business is based on time-lines and money.
If I sell $800.00 worth of barn lumber in 1 afternoon.....I am tickled to death.

If he thought he was going to make $800.00 in 1 afternoon.....he would not show up for work. :D

The only wood he cares about is White Oak for bed boards.
Last year he said he pushed 10,000 BF of Black Walnut in the swamp just to get it out of the way for a business to be built.
His thinking is not just his way.....this goes on everywhere. I have seen 20" Maples and Cherry burning in a pile just to get ready for Wal-Mart.

I can't buy this wood. My top price would not justified him bringing all his logs to me. He would be loosing money according to his thinking.

In fact, after I saw all the White Oak he brought.....I'm like, "Have you got that many trucks and trailers to bed?" He said no but I'll just stack the rest in the barn....I'll probably never use it.

So in short....people like this do not care about lumber the way we do.

But again Brad, you had a good question.....just the wrong customer.  :D

Magicman

I sawed Red/White Oak that had been removed from a highway ROW for a road building contractor.  It was all sawed 2"X12" with some narrower for a lowboy.  They re-floored all of their trailers, and as far as I know, the excess was dead stacked and rotted.  Since their only cost was the actual sawing, they were not worried about it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on January 06, 2013, 04:11:21 PM
I sawed Red/White Oak that had been removed from a highway ROW for a road building contractor.  It was all sawed 2"X12" with some narrower for a lowboy.  They re-floored all of their trailers, and as far as I know, the excess was dead stacked and rotted.  Since their only cost was the actual sawing, they were not worried about it.

This is exactly what I'm talking about Magic.  smiley_thumbsup The care for lumber is not their concern......as there is a ton of it just around the next corner.....for them.

SawyerBrown

Hey, David, I see you saw pine.  I had no experience with pine ... none ... until a couple of weeks ago when a neighbor called and asked if I wanted some from a tree that blew over in a windstorm.  I didn't have any (even though the shed is so full of hardwoods drying I hardly have room to work now! ... what was I thinking, anyway?), so I said Sure.  Well, I ended up with the stickiest mess I've ever seen -- spent most of the next day with Goo-Gon cleaning pulleys, belts, blades, and about everything else on the mill.  Was using water/dish soap mix trying to keep things clean, but I think a garden hose wouldn't have made any difference.  Are there "pines" that shouldn't be messed with?  Do they need to dry for xx amount of time?  I'm not "pining"   ;D to saw a pine ever again!  Any advice would be appreciated!

Pete
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

It's nothing to pine about Sawyer -Brown.  smiley_cry  :D

There was another thread about this the other week.
My favorite condition to saw a Pine is when the bark is just beginning to release and the logs has dried for a long while off the ground.
However, when a customer brings in green, sappy Pine and he needs it A.S.A.P.....sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do.
When I saw green Pine, I wear an apron so as not to sap up my clothes, but it still gets everywhere else. :D And a lot of times, I have cleaned places on the mill with Diesel Fuel.

WDH

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 06, 2013, 04:15:19 PM
Quote from: Magicman on January 06, 2013, 04:11:21 PM

This is exactly what I'm talking about Magic.  smiley_thumbsup The care for lumber is not their concern......as there is a ton of it just around the next corner.....for them.

Yep, y'all just saw em and leave em  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

paul case

I had some trailer flooring cut from fresh sawn post oak back in july that was dead stacked and banded ready for pick up and they never picked it up. I sold it in December to another party who said when they unstacked it there was no rot or mold.

I was suprised about that too. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!