iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did ya hear about the Guy that called this morning?

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 03, 2013, 04:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The phone rings this morning......I answer, and the man on the other end said David? Would you be interested in sawing some White Oak for me?
I said sure as long as it's not over a 30 inch diameter. He said...It's not......can I bring them over?
I told him to come on, I was at the mill already sawing another job.

Well he shows up.......I liked to had a stroke. Some of the prettiest logs you have ever seen. Thousands of Board Feet. 3 dump truck loads of White Oak! All 12'-6", all 20" diameter give or take.
Wants all of it sawn 2 1/2" thick x 8" wide.

I just sat down and called Wood-Mizer and ordered a small load of 4° blades.  :D They're also gonna send me a 7° blade to try free of charge.

At the end of this job.....I'm sure I'll have my fill of White Oak.  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Leigh Family Farm

Nice! I guess you're new year started off on the right foot!
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Cypressstump

Your luck is better than mine.....
A guy down the road said he had a trailer full of sinker cypress for sale, 800 bucks. I passed.
2 weeks later, he asks how much for me to saw it for him. I went to look at it. It was not sinker, but blow down that was submerged till they got it. All busted up, full of hard pack dried mud, only two logs we almost acceptable. I told him I really did not think it was worth anything to cut, had lots of metal and mud, was most likey going to cost some bands if cut.Another 2-3 weeks pass, he calls and said he was in a big bind, the logs were dumped at his friends place, who later said if he did not come get them they were going to be torched. Said I could have them for free.
I say fine, me and a guy will meet you over there Sat. am to load them up, I'll take them and see what we can do. We get there, the land owner is pizzed about the logs on his place so long, the dang fellow does not even show up, we load the logs ourselves and leave.

I ruin 2 bands, dull another two all on the best looking log and that only decent log in the bunch had center rot so bad the whole mess is now on my burn pile....... The dang thing had a section of CHAIN running thru it...bullets, nails and a spike .

I wish I had your luck POSTONLT40HD,,, i need a break ! !
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Jay C. White Cloud

Can't wait to see the stock you make for him out of those.  Give us report on the blade too, 7° hook are you also using the .055 thick?

Regards,

Jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Ohio_Bill

Great Job,   I have used 4's on Dry White Oak with good results. Bought a box or 7,s and have not tried them yet. You are looking at about 140 lbs per each board. 
8)
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

francismilker

Quote from: Ohio_Bill on January 03, 2013, 04:55:49 PM
Great Job,   I have used 4's on Dry White Oak with good results. Bought a box or 7,s and have not tried them yet. You are looking at about 140 lbs per each board
8)

Hope you have a couple of stout sons named Jethro and Tiny to handle the offload for you! :D
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

clww

Well, that is "some" white oak! :D You're gonna be busy for weeks. :) Will you charge by the foot, or by the trailer? ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Looks like a good score to start the year off right David.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mikeb1079

QuoteThe phone rings this morning......

well that's what ya get for being the most interesting man in the world!   :D :D

seriously tho, that is a goodly whack of timber.  man you're in for it.   :) :)

good luck!! 
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Busy Beaver Lumber

Awesome deal there Dave. Nice way to start the year off pal
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

JohnM

Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

redbeard

That's some serious BF! You will be busy for awhile. Nice score David.I like the  :D most interesting man avatar
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

POSTON WIDEHEAD

To answer a few questions, Woodmizer saw I was using a .045 blade in my records. I ask them the best blade for the job and he told me he would send a box of 4 degree and 1 demo 7 degree. I guess they'll be .045.

I sawed 4 logs this afternoon. So far I have not picked up the first board. I saw all boards that need edged and lay them on the HD lifts and then lower the lifts to the ground.
I then just saw my cant from top to bottom. Then I take the fork lift, drive it up to the bed and simply slide each board off onto the forks. Cake walk.
Then I back up and lift my boards needing to be edged back up to the sawing bed and edge them.
Slide those boards on top of the others on the fork lift.....not even a sweat.
The forks will allow me to set the boards on 6x6 runners on the ground, lower the forks and back out. No back pain at all.  :)

I am hoping the 4 degree blade will allow me to pick up a little speed. I had to creep through the Oak with the 10 degree blade. Them some dry logs.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: redbeard on January 03, 2013, 06:05:00 PM
That's some serious BF! You will be busy for awhile. Nice score David.I like the  :D most interesting man avatar

I don't always saw......but when I do, I make it a Wood-Mizer.  :D Stay thirsty my friend.  :)

learner

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 03, 2013, 06:10:26 PM
I don't always saw......but when I do, I make it a Wood-Mizer.  :D Stay thirsty my friend.  :)

:D WELL said David!
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

beenthere

David
Seems you were also involved in a huge log deal a few months ago that was going to keep you supplied with tons of logs. Did that not pan out, or are you still expecting those logs?
Or am I missing something and be on the wrong page?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: beenthere on January 03, 2013, 06:27:18 PM
David
Seems you were also involved in a huge log deal a few months ago that was going to keep you supplied with tons of logs. Did that not pan out, or are you still expecting those logs?
Or am I missing something and be on the wrong page?

No you're on the right page Bros. Been. I was getting Pine logs from a tract just 3 or 4 miles away. We really have not had that much rain until recently. Now that the rains have set in......it is WET. Can't get anymore Pine until it dries up a little. :'( But I have plenty of Pine......I saw Pine every day.....it's hard to keep up sawing barn boards.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: clww on January 03, 2013, 05:33:53 PM
Well, that is "some" white oak! :D You're gonna be busy for weeks. :) Will you charge by the foot, or by the trailer? ;D

BF

Dave Shepard

Did you scale it yet? I bet you've got around 9,000 feet there.  8) That will saw up pretty quick making those thick planks. I could use a steady supply of white oak. Hard to get any around here.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 03, 2013, 07:37:13 PM
Did you scale it yet? I bet you've got around 9,000 feet there.  8) That will saw up pretty quick making those thick planks. I could use a steady supply of white oak. Hard to get any around here.

I'm just measuring the logs as I go. The 4 logs I sawed came up to 200-211 BF each. The good things is, most of the logs are pretty much alike.

SAWMILL BUDDY

David, you will like the 7* blade. I have the lt 40 and saw mostly oak. The 7*s are all I use. Good load of logs  ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: SAWMILL BUDDY on January 03, 2013, 07:58:02 PM
David, you will like the 7* blade. I have the lt 40 and saw mostly oak. The 7*s are all I use. Good load of logs  ;D

Buddy, have you tried the 4°? I've never used either one. Just looking for a comparison.

Larry

They didn't do ya any favors by letting em dry out like that.  I got some a couple of months ago that didn't have a trace of bark.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Larry on January 03, 2013, 08:14:39 PM
They didn't do ya any favors by letting em dry out like that.  I got some a couple of months ago that didn't have a trace of bark.

Larry , about ¾ of the bark is gone on these. When I saw them, it is truly SAWDUST. :laugh:

Ga Mtn Man

Congrats on the big job David. :new_year:

I'm also interested in the 4° vs. 7° comparison when sawing oak.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Thank You Sponsors!