iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The process of changing a fowarder tire

Started by Blue Sky, January 03, 2013, 02:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Sky

I just got my 1972 Franklin Fowarder back from the mechanics, having spent $33K on rehabing it and three days later I hear what sounded like a shotgun blast. I was in my bandsaw mill yard working near Ole Ethel and lo and behold the tire side wall that had the bubble sticking out blew.  Called a local tire supplier and for $2,400.00 more I can get a new Firestone tire mounted.  So here are some pics.  And by the way, my fowarder runs like a dream.

Blue Sky

thecfarm

I just could not resist seeing the pictures.  ;D

Nice looking forwarder.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JDeere

Can it be vulcanized? You could do it for a lot less than $2,400.00. You wouldn't believe some of the tires I have seen vulcanized that go on for years.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

dutchman

I cut the sidewall of a tractor tire this past summer.
Found a tire repair shop and they vulcanized the repair.
It is holding up just fine, and was less than half the price.
They had tire from very large land moving equipment.
They also did retreads on tractor trailer tires.
Good luck.

Jamie_C

From my experience vulcanizing a forwarder tire is an exercise in futility, especially on the sidewall. Loaded forwarders put a massive strain on their tires. A few years ago when i was running a TJ 610 Forwarder, we went through 1 tire with a vulcanized sidewall in a matter of a few days, that tires replacement lasted a few weeks. By the time the boss bit the bullet and bought 2 new tires and we swapped them out we had lost about a weeks production due to tire troubles and we had taken tires off and put them back on about 10 times.

Blue Sky

I did not get other pics up of the 'tired tire', but I assure you there was not much left to this tire.  It is now holding back dirt on a steep side-hill of mine.  There were multiple ply's showing through in several areas.  I checked out the vulcanization process, but all who saw the tired tire said the same-junk it.

loggah

I used to run one of those a bit years ago,a 165xl if i remember correctly ,had a 4-53  and a barco 60 loader on it . they were a tough machine,i did have to change the big bronze swivel bushing in it that was a pain.  good luck. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

mad murdock

I think the older logger special tires are not the sameas the newer smaller fatter forwarder tires in use today.  We had a Franklin forwarder and had a section repair done on the sidewall( bad scuff on a stump), it cost a few hundred bucks but lasted for years and was a lot cheaper than tossing out the tire.  As long as the casing and belting is in decent shape, it would bear looking into alternatives before you go for a new one , IMO.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!