iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Next tree's in my sights..... Shag bark Hickory.....

Started by shelby78, January 02, 2013, 09:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelby78

Doing a bit of a walkabout at the property today after skidding some more oak out i saw something in the distance.  There are lots of smaller (8-12 inch) cherry and shagbarks but i haven't seen any bigger ones.

The spot is a place i never walk thru (no trails) so i never knew i had some 20 inch shagbarks to play with. I think some poeple call these pecans also (not sure).

How does this stuff mill (Like i won't find out myself very soon). Should i do my standard half 1's half '2s or do you guys suggest a better idea? These would be crazy to do live edge but i think the bark would get ripped off to easy :(

There are 2 different tree's and i think i saw more of them further back. I may have to check the other side of the swamp to see whats over there :)

beenthere

Don't think shagbark hickory are pecans. Yours look 'shagbark' for sure.

And they look slow grown and mean.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

Regardless, difficult cutting, and the logging looks pretty rough too. get'r done, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dgdrls

I believe this has been used to describe Hickory smiley_devil

Saw as soon as you drop it, and be ready for some tension in those logs.

DGDrls

shelby78

I know the tree is a shagbark but i threw the extra term in because i read it today on another site. Some poeple seem to have extra names or mix match stuff like i found in the quotes below...... I have found different regions call stuff differently or have slang terms  like , Manitoba maple which is box alder.

I though it may help someone else relate to what it was if they had sawn it before. I was also curious if anyone actually calls it pecan?

Forum Responses
(Architectural Woodworking Forum)
From contributor F:
I could be wrong, but I think they are the same. Called "hickory" by some and "pecan" by others.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From contributor J:
As far as I know, they do not separate hickory and pecan at the mills. It will end up being a mix. Sometimes our lumber supplier will call the longer stuff hickory and the shorter pecan, but it is just to differentiate between the two lengths.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From contributor E:
They both fall into the same species, but pecan is usually lighter in color with less variance from heart to sapwood. Beware that even hickory has different subspecies, such as shagbark or pignut. True shagbark hickory has a dark heartwood and light sapwood, pignut is very light even in the heartwood, sometimes pignut is referred to as pecan.

From Gene Wengert, Sawing and Drying Forum technical advisor:
In the lumber trade, we seldom separate hickory and pecan; if separated, they are called true hickory and pecan hickory. They are in the same genus, just different species. They are almost always sold as one. The fact is that there are 4 species of true hickory (pignut, shellbark, shagbark and mockernut) and 4 species of pecan hickory (water, bitternut, pecan and nutmeg).
Sometimes the color of pecan is not the same as hickory, but this can often be due to drying differences in veneer dryers or lumber kilns. The true hickory is a little stronger than pecan hickory.

beenthere

QuoteI know the tree is a shagbark but i threw the extra term in because i read it today on another site

Pecan isn't an extra term for shagbark, it is a different hickory being referenced. Such that when the two woods are marketed, they may lump both together.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

I got 2 of them on my land,both growing out of the same stump.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dgdrls

Some of the first material I cut was Hickory,  tough stuff, but pretty..
DGDrls

Al_Smith

I suppose I have several thousand board feet of shag still in logs in my pile .One that was tripped a year ago was 3 feet on the stump and had about 1500 bd ft in the logs which is larger than normal .I could count over 230 growth rings .

Something is killing the big shagbarks off ,don't now exactly what it is ,ants maybe . Where talking most upwards of 100 feet and 60 or more to the first limb ,straight as an arrow .

I've planed a few planks from previously milled logs and some resemble pecan in grain form and color .I think or have been told that a hickory is more closely related to a wallnut than a pecan though but again I'm not as well versed as some on this forum .Whatever it is one things for certain ,it's hard .

John Bartley

Quote from: shelby78 on January 02, 2013, 09:53:53 PM
I have found different regions call stuff differently or have slang terms  like , Manitoba maple which is box alder.

I think that's supposed to be Box Elder.

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Tree Feller

Quote from: John Bartley on January 03, 2013, 08:42:40 AM
I have found different regions call stuff differently or have slang terms  like , Manitoba maple which is box alder.

cheers

John

Actually, it's Boxelder...one word.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

GAB

In this part of VT the push is on to save as many Shaggies as possible as they give the endangered bats a place to roost in the daytime.
Also, every Shaggie I have cut to date: the butt log has been hollow, and I was not impressed with the quality of the lumber.
To make matters worst if you saw them when it is warm they smell like horse manure until they dry out.
I must admit that they make a great winter fire.
Wish you better luck than I've had with shaggies.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

hackberry jake

Watch out for the bark, I haven't cut many that haven't brought blood. The chainsaw will bounce two or three times before it actually gets through the bark and into the meat. Watch out for stress in the logs and use plenty of set on your bands.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

clww

From what I've read here, tough milling. smiley_devil The #1 best firewood to burn, though. :new_year:
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

No Shag Bark Hickory here, but whenever I get Hickory in my sights, I miss.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

I'll tell you what there certainly is a lot of hoopla about that danged bat and shag barks .I'll bet if there where no more shags in the world that bat would be bright enough to survive .

Bats are bats they've been around forever and don't need ding bats protecting them .Good Lawd next thing you know they'll be putting mosquitoes on the endangered species list so as not to starve the bats .In this day and age nothing would surprise me .

francismilker

Quote from: Magicman on January 03, 2013, 11:52:13 AM
No Shag Bark Hickory here, but whenever I get Hickory in my sights, I miss.   ;D

lol!   It's some awesome looking grained wood but I'd hate to be on it for a whole day.  I recently posted a question about cutting a lot of hickory and have just gotten started on a pile of logs.  It's about as slow and tedious as I have came across yet but I'm gonna keep it up until at least this pile is sawed.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Magicman

You are absolutely correct.  It does produce some stunning lumber, and my remark was not intended to discourage anyone from sawing Hickory.  I will saw Hickory again, it just is not in my plans.   ;D

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jcbrotz

I love sawing hickory :o but only if it has gone from making oxygen to board form in less than a day. If you want the  smiley_devil just let ONE set for awhile for you to try out after a week or so and then you can make yourself some smoking wood. :D
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

John Bartley

Quote from: Tree Feller on January 03, 2013, 08:49:39 AM
Quote from: John Bartley on January 03, 2013, 08:42:40 AM

cheers

John

Actually, it's Boxelder...one word.

Either or, but different from alder  ;)
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

shelby78

Thanks for all the info guys. I now have mixed feelings about milling it. I will make sure to have everything set-up so i can do it all in one day. You know i will post pics also.

Slab Slicer

This is not good news for me then. I felled 2 large bitternut hickory back in august. I have  a feeling I'll be sawing some pretty hard wood when I get to them. Any suggestions on blades that will work well?
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

LeeB

Hickory gets harder as it dries for sure. Cut a couple of inches off the end of the logs if they have sat for a while. Your blades will thank you.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Slab Slicer

Will it make a difference if thse logs were sealed with anchor seal 2? That should keep them from drying fast. At least the ends anyway.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

WDH

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 03, 2013, 08:26:33 AM
.I think or have been told that a hickory is more closely related to a wallnut than a pecan though but again I'm not as well versed as some on this forum .Whatever it is one things for certain ,it's hard .

Al,

Actually, pecan is a hickory.  There are two groupings in the hickory genus, Carya.  The True Hickories which contains the shagbarks, and the more common mockernut and pignut hickories.  The other group is the Pecan Hickories which contains pecan hickory, bitternut hickory, and water hickory.

The last time that I sawed a dried out hickory log, I swore that it would be the last one.  So far, it has been  :).

Slab,

Sealing the ends should help.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!