iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar Coffee Table....Finally.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 02, 2013, 08:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have been working on this slab for 6 months. If you remember in another thread we talked about finishes.
I tried 4 times to use Polyurethane and it would not work. Each time I had to let it dry and then plane it off.
I'm still thinking it was the temperature.
I did A LOT of reading on the Forum and the net and decided to use a Spar Varnish for the top finish...6 coats and steal wool in between.
On the legs, I did use Poly applied with a brush. On the decorative Cedar limbs under the table, I sprayed them with Poly.
I will have a piece of glass cut to go on top of this table to protect it from wet cup and glasses.
I'll probably hang on to this one ......since we spent lots of nights together...  smiley_love...sanding, sanding and more sanding. >:(

I did learn using Poly on Cedar will give a Golden-Redish color under the finish and using Spar Varnish will give a  medium to light Raspberry color. Pictures do not give the full depth of color, but it is NICE.  :)

I hope you like it.

P.S. That's a Pheasant pelt laying in the center of the table.  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ellmoe

That's sharp looking! I'd keep it, too.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Slab Slicer

Very nice work. I won't let my wife see it. She'll want one just like it.  :D

I do have a big ole' red oak slab that is slated to be our coffee table in the rec room. Just giving it a little more drying time. Probably this spring.

Chuck
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Tree Feller

Beautiful table, David. You really are an artist, you know.  ;)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

jueston

beautiful, you gotta love all that color....  :o

LeeB

You don't need a glass top to protect it from waterstains with the spar varnish. It works for boats, it should work for a table. Nice table top.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Slab Slicer

I just notice the cast iron you have alongside the fireplace. The kettle and lid on the left are made by Lodge out of South Pittsburgh TN. The inside of the lid will have small bumps that make it a self basting lid. Hard to judge the size, but I'm guessing a #9, maybe a #10. The #8 was most common though.  :)
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Slab Slicer on January 02, 2013, 10:05:23 PM
I just notice the cast iron you have alongside the fireplace. The kettle and lid on the left are made by Lodge out of South Pittsburgh TN. The inside of the lid will have small bumps that make it a self basting lid. Hard to judge the size, but I'm guessing a #9, maybe a #10. The #8 was most common though.  :)

Slab, I looked on the bottom just now. It says, Wagner 1891. The lid does have the bumps under it. It's a #9.

metalspinner

Very nice, Poston!

That would make it in Kramers coffee table book about coffee tables.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

fishpharmer

David, you have a real talent (persistence :) ) for making the "refined rustic" furniture.  Love that style.

Great place to show your road kill collection too. ;) ;D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Slab Slicer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 02, 2013, 10:11:04 PM
Quote from: Slab Slicer on January 02, 2013, 10:05:23 PM

Slab, I looked on the bottom just now. It says, Wagner 1891. The lid does have the bumps under it. It's a #9.

A marriage then. As we call it. The lid is Lodge for sure, and the kettle is a Wagner made for their 100th anniversary in 1991. Anytime you have mixed manufacturers, we collectors call it a marriage.
Chuck

Axe Handle Hound

The slab is obviously beautiful but so is the base that supports it!  Maybe you already discussed this in the other thread, but you may have had finish issues with the poly because of the oils in the cedar.  They're known to be problematic for varnishes, but it's curious that your spar varnish worked when your poly didn't.  If you've never tried it, next time give your cedar a thin coat or two of Seal-Cote (clear shellac) and then any finish you like should work fine on top.

Good thing you explained the pheasant pelt...you had me wondering for a minute whether that poor bird got stuck in one of your previous gooey coats of poly!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Slab Slicer on January 02, 2013, 10:25:24 PM

A marriage then. As we call it. The lid is Lodge for sure, and the kettle is a Wagner made for their 100th anniversary in 1991. Anytime you have mixed manufacturers, we collectors call it a marriage.

Thanks Slab, I did not know that. A customer traded me a few pieces of cast iron to saw his Walnut log. I figured what the heck....1 hours work for some metal?  :D So I did it.  :)

Holmes

I like what you did with your legs, ;D I mean the tables legs. :) You made under the table interesting...  Nicely done...
Think like a farmer.

WDH

You better watch out.  It looks like something is trying to build a nest under the table top  :).

This has to be my favorite thing that you have built.  (Note to Self:  Maybe the shipping cost won't be too high  :D).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Holmes

WDH  You would think your SON would make one for you... ;D
Think like a farmer.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 02, 2013, 11:00:53 PM
You better watch out.  It looks like something is trying to build a nest under the table top  :).

This has to be my favorite thing that you have built.  (Note to Self:  Maybe the shipping cost won't be too high  :D).

As an old Georgia prophet once told me....."Get your mind right and build your own".  :D :D

WDH

Dana,

My adopted son  ???.  Yes, you are right  :D.  Maybe he has his mind right, now.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 02, 2013, 11:05:22 PM
Dana,

My adopted son  ???.  Yes, you are right  :D.  Maybe he has his mind right, now.

Good one Danny.  :D

Woodey

NICE  ;D

I like the bowties. Great way to tie the wood together.

WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

123maxbars

Nice work.  How did you attach the legs?
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

bama20a

Quote from: 123maxbars on January 03, 2013, 12:52:16 AM
Nice work.  How did you attach the legs?
Yep that is what I was wanting to know.
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Thank You Sponsors!