iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lombard Log Hauler

Started by loggah, January 01, 2013, 07:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

Noticing the radiator on your machine does not look like most radiators. Where does the air flow through?  ???

Also, I have always been a bit confused as to the layout of the gasoline Lombards. They look like a very high percentage of the weight is on the front, on the skis. I understand the need to have enough weight up front to be able to steer, but with the big old heavy engine and front end up front, what percentage of the weight was on the tracks? Was this ever a problem? Maybe the rear end is heavier than it looks, I don't know.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

loggah

There was  around 200  internal combustion machines, plus 83 steamers. my radiator has the shutter in front of it ,you regulate the temp.by manually opening and closing the shutter,there were no thermostats in the old "T" head design engine. The front of the lombard weighed about 3 tons, the back end transmission ,differential area ,basically behind the cab weighs about 7 tons.There are more steam log haulers in existence  then gasoline models. The old steamers were abandoned around the late 1920's -early 1930's wherever the job was,so by WW2 the roads and woods had grow up so they weren't easy to get to. On the other hand the Gasoline machines were being replaced by full track tractors,and trucks just about the beginning of WW2,so they were pretty available to the scrapper.  most of the lombards still in existence were machines that belonged to Ed Lacroix and  were abandoned at Churchill depot  in their tractor shed on the Allagash waterway. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

shinnlinger

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Okrafarmer

Thanks, Shinnlinger! Now I see how the radiator shutter works. I suppose you have to get off and adjust it by hand.

That Lombard in the Maine State Museum also has the 3-stack engine, I remember. It was one of the note-worthy features to me as a toddler-- "it has three smoke-stacks!" Dad's John Deere B and IH TD-6 only had one stack each.  :-\

It looked to me as if the sled hitch in back is up high near the flatbed area, not low as I had expected. Were the sleds towed with a high hitch?

That model N, is that one of the smaller ones? How many tons?

Shinnlinger, whose Lombard is that?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

shinnlinger

If that isn't our very own Loggah Don then there is a dopleganger out there if I ever saw one complete with the same yard and heavy equipment.

I found the vid on this site here which starts with the engine but ends with some interesting history, including pics of the tractor shed where Don's crawler came from and track details.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83497&highlight=lombard
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

loggah

Well ,that is my buddy Terry ,restoring the engine he got from me. He is the one who just gave the  logging history presentation at Owls Head Museum. You can probably tell hes a perfectionist,and computer guy ,he does CAD designs.The Lombard drawbar is mounted fairly high and where it is hitched to the sleds  is fairly low. This results in the harder the pull the more pressure it pulls down onto the track for traction. This is where the long tractor is beneficial . a 10 ton Lombard would pull twice as much as a ten ton holt,or best 60,or Cat 60 which both weighed ten tons,also the Lombard had 40 more horsepower. The tractor in the video is mine i have since rebuilt the cab.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Okrafarmer

I'll have to go back and look. I thought yours had a single stack.  :-[

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 14, 2013, 07:12:11 PM
I'll have to go back and look. I thought yours had a single stack.  :-[

Woops, I was wrong!  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ Yours is indeed a triple-piper.

About the high hitch-- I'm sure they could have found a way to put a high hitch on any of the other tractors, too. The power thing, though, might have been harder to solve.

loggah

The original exhaust manifolds were one piece with a elbow that put a 6" pipe up right in front of the cab. The problem was with the great distance between the cylinders caused uneven heating of the iron manifolds and they cracked between the cylinder blocks. These engines were run wide open under a load for hours!!!  Wisconsin came up with the single stack per block to correct the problem.The lombard track was the most efficient to applying power to the ground the bottom track shoe is curved so only about 3 grousers are touching the road at a time ,this guaranteed the most traction on a ice road ,it also didn't tear up the roads gradually coming down and back up. Don

Okrafarmer

A very nice design, Loggah. I suppose if the Lombard got off into some snow that was a little bit softer, it instantly had the entire track surface to pull with. In other words, it was a design that was maximized for ideal conditions, but was flexible enough for the exceptional conditions, too. I have made a few changes on my Lego model since talking with you, but at this point, I don't know how I would ever get the secondary roller chains represented by the digital Legos. It's one of those things where with hard copy plastic Legos, I might actually be able to work something out that the computer program won't allow.  :(

celliott

While we were on the Allagash river this summer, we saw noted on one set of our maps that if you followed a small path on the riverbank, between two campsites, you would find two old Lombard Loghaulers! I had to see them! So we searched for the path and eventually found it, no signs or anything to mark the spot, don't think everybody who does the Allagash sees these like they do churchill depot and the tramway carry.

There was a steamer and a gasser, sinking into the woods, rusting away, pieces everywhere.
I wasn't sure if you knew about them or not, but after reading this thread from page 1, you most likely do  ;D

Anyways, here's a bunch of pictures of them. Got all the pics (probably 40 or so, loggah can probably ID all the parts scattered on the ground) we took in my gallery, album name is NFCT 2014 Allagash logging history.

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Piston

Chris,
I've always wanted to do the NFCT, I think it's really impressive that you did that.  I didn't read the whole blog but glanced through the photos, I love those types of trips, true adventures!   smiley_thumbsup
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

loggah

Chris,Those are really nice pictures, you guys are having a good time!! ;D Back 40 years ago the steamer and gas lombard at Cunliffe Depot were in a field !!!!! ;D ;D amazing how much it has grown up since i was there :o The steamer boiler at the railroad was used to heat the bunker "C" crude oil so it could be pumped into the locomotives tenders,the crawler assembly for that steamer is in the woods at Churchill Depot,i found it years ago when i was scoping out lombard parts. I cant believe your wandering around in shorts!!!! ;D most of the time i was up there the black flies were horrible, quite a journey your on,one you will remember for ever for sure. Don

chester_tree _farmah

The black flies up here love fresh meat. :-)
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

celliott

Thanks everyone, we had an amazing trip this summer!

I would put my pantlegs on when the bugs got bad, but the last week when we were on the Allagash, we didn't even use our bugspray. The blackflies were negligible, the mosquitoes tolerable, and the horseflies annoying, but not bad. Amazingly the least buggy area we went through was the Allagash! Go figure, NY's adirondacks had worse black flies for us. Not complaining one bit  ;D
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

celliott

That would be something to see those loghaulers in a field  :) Nature has a way of doing what it wants quickly when left to it's own devices.
The churchill depot history center had a ton of photographs and captions, so much information. I want to go back again already :) Already convinced my Dad he has to do the Allagash. He's always wanted to, I gave him a bit of a push. They're gonna be up there in late October. Won't have blackflies then either  :D
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Gadrock

Sure is a nice read for us folks. So informative.

Many others a glad you are a fancier of the metal stuff and not a fisherman. They could never tell a tale so good.

David G

Carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

drlewis

we have one at the nhsma at allenstown nh.  we  get alot of people that come just to see that . drlewis pres of nhsma

loggah

Thats the one i put together back in the 1970's,originally for timberland machines.It was supposed to go to the Rocks museum in Bethlehem but the museum never happened,so it ended up in your museum in Allentown. That log hauler is made up of parts of three machines, all ex Lacroix machines from Churchill Depot.The only thing in that engine is the crankshaft!!!! the engine was powering one of Ed Lacroix sawmills and the sawmill burned ruining the parts inside the engine,it was always ment as a static display.   Don

trev

Good stuff Loggah. The Allagash is pretty neat, been there a time or two.

Thank You Sponsors!