iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My other hobby

Started by Slab Slicer, December 31, 2012, 11:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slab Slicer

Lowpolyjoe, check reply #40 of this thread. Those links will take you to the only company that sells USA made cast iron cookware. A bit heavier than the old stuff, but at least you know it's not radioactive stuff from China.

As for the steel skillets, I don't have much experience, but if after using it for so long, and you're still having issues with it sticking, I'd say go with the cast iron. My stuff is pretty much non-stick right after I season them the first time, and only get better with use. From what I understand, a small amount of iron will leach into your food, but not enough to change the flavor to something unpleaseant. People swear by the iron they get from cooking in cast iron, so I guess it has merit. The largest skillet is a #10, which is actually about 12" across. Some folks will use a #12 (13" across), but the #10 works good for me.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Slab Slicer

Cinnabar, it sounds like electro did a good job on that Chambers stove. We use electro for rust for the most part. It's not just for cast iron though. You can use it to strip alot of things off alot of metals. I would avoid the softer metals though. (Copper, aluminum, and such)

Deb loves those old cookstoves, and so do I. I've tried to pick some up at auctions, but someone always loves them a little more than we do.  :D
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

lowpolyjoe

That's a great site... i guess i missed that post with the link earlier.

I kept saying "skillet" but i meant "griddle".  Perhaps that was clear since i quoted rectangular coordinates.  There's a good cast iron option on that site.  Maybe i'll do some reading and try re-seasoning my steel griddle from scratch, but this is definitely on my list  :)

http://www.lodgemfg.com/seasoned-cast-iron/grill-pans-and-griddles/double-play-reversible-grill-griddle-LDP3

cinnabar

Yup, the electro method will pretty much melt aluminum. Is ok on some steel but not stainless.  Some of my nickled stove parts had a fair bit of rust under the plating.  I cleaned them all so when the parts went to the plater he only had to do the acid wash for prep.   No blasting needed.

BTW, I used my Wagnerware ware dutch oven for roast pork tonight.  mmmmm good perfect every time.

Slab Slicer

Quote from: cinnabar on January 11, 2013, 09:40:56 PM
Yup, the electro method will pretty much melt aluminum. Is ok on some steel but not stainless.  Some of my nickled stove parts had a fair bit of rust under the plating.  I cleaned them all so when the parts went to the plater he only had to do the acid wash for prep.   No blasting needed.

BTW, I used my Wagnerware ware dutch oven for roast pork tonight.  mmmmm good perfect every time.

Cinnabar, I'm looking for a good plater to do some "old style" nickel finish on a parlor stove I'm restoring. The older style nickel had more of a yellowish tint in it. The newer nickel plating is very bright in comparison. Maybe this wasn't a concern for you, or maybe it was. Could you share the name of your plating Co?

Deb and I make roasts in the Dutch Oven all the time. They have a completely different (better) flavor when done in the iron.
Chuck

Slab Slicer

Lowpolyjoe, I hope you find what you want on that site. You'll save a bundle over the collector / vintage pieces if you go that way. Let me know how you make out. Lodge still makes good iron.
Chuck

cinnabar

The nickle on my stove is the yellower version.  The plater showed me the difference with chrome/ nickle and the finishes when I went in for an estimate. Kaching.  Was the most expensive part of the resoration. Any way, I went local  ( DuluthMN) and voided the shipping.  Also the stove is hard to find replacement parts for should something get lost or broken in transit. 
Ask the cycle shops in your area who they send the parts out to.  There is most likely somebody close who can get it done right.

Slab Slicer

Got your PM, and I'll dig around locally some more. I agree with you about shipping any of these pieces. You sure can't run to the corner store, and pick up replacement parts for these stoves. I'd hate to see any of them lost or damaged in shipping.

You're also right about the cost of the restoration. The nickel will run the bill up for sure. I can do the rest of it myself, but I'm guessing the plating will run $1000 or more. Just a guess though
Chuck

lowpolyjoe

My mom picked up this skillet recently at a flea market or garage sale or something... She later found out you can't (or shouldn't?) use cast iron on the new fancy electric stovetop she has so she passed it on to me.   My worry is that it almost looks painted.  I tried to catch it with some pics, but it might be hard to see.  Within the cooking surface I could understand if there was heavy carbon build up that was uneven and maybe looked like chipping paint, but then I noticed on the handle, where I wouldn't expect any carbon build up, there was also this 'chipping paint' look.   

It looks like a mess to me.  I know any use of sandpaper was aggressively discouraged earlier in this thread  :D.   If this is a $5000 collectable piece, I will look further into the electrolysis cleaning method, but I figure it's unlikely  :).  Can you tell me anything about this piece Slab Slicer?  Or if this is really paint that i'm seeing?  Should I be worried?

Thanks a lot!

Slab Slicer

The Wagner #8 is one of the more common skillets. Still, sanding is discouraged. Another method of rust removal is a 50 / 50 mix of vinegar and water. Soak the piece for 30 minute intervals and scrub with stainless steel scrubby. Leaving it to soak for long periods will lead to damage to the iron.
Chuck

lowpolyjoe

Thanks a lot - i'll try the vinegar/water mixture tomorrow and see how it goes

Beefie

This is a great thread. If my wife didn't sell those expensive home pots and cooking accessories,pc. I would have some iron. It does have me wondering wear the cast skillet went from the deer camp. I need to find it and get it reseasoned. Thanks for all the info slabber.

Beefie

Thank You Sponsors!