iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Years Eve Driving

Started by clww, December 31, 2012, 08:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clww

Please, be careful out there on New Years Eve, especially on the roads. I just got home about 45 minutes ago from the local Dodge dealership. Most of the day went great, with me delivering two loads of firewood to close out 2012. This all changed at 3:25 pm this afternoon on my return trip to the house when I ran over a Toyota Camry after HE ran a red light here in Virginia Beach. I saw him inching out into the intersection as I approached, then he just pulls out on me. I could not swerve (car on my left rear), and I could not slow down enough-no way with me going 35 mph and he pulls out when I'm halfway into the intersection. 25 feet away from him at the most. We both will live another day, which is the most important thing. Next, if I had been a foot to the right when I went through his car, my 7,000 lb Ram (look left <----) would have been over the driver's compartment of his tiny car. My truck has one scratch, suspension damage, and will probably need at least two new tires. I told the service manager to go over everything with a fine tooth comb. Tomorrow morning, I'm going to the doctor for a follow-up and will seek a chiropractor referral. Right now I have a stiff neck, a bump on my left knee, and I jammed my left wrist when I grabbed the hand-hold by the door post.
  I was right on "The Strip" where all the tourists are usually transiting. Thank the Good Lord there happened to be none on the sidewalk, or in the crosswalk when I went there on two wheels. Why the truck did not flip has to be attributed to my super-human driving skills. :D Thank the Lord twice for that one, too. If I had that second cord of wood still there, I have no doubt I'd have landed on the side.
This is one of the reasons (traffic) I chose to leave Virginia Beach and head back to the mountains when I retired. >:(
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Thankfully you (and everyone else) will be OK. 

The only driving that I will do tonight is to drive my sock feet down the hallway at bedtime.  I'll catch the midnight celebration on tomorrow morning's news.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

giant splinter

Wow, close call ....... get a lottery ticket and good to know that everyone is ok.
roll with it

thecfarm

I bet you will be sore in the morning or the next morning. Glad all is well.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!