iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

more wildlife

Started by 1270d, December 31, 2012, 07:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1270d

Little bit bigger than our standard fare

CTL logger

Nice one!! Is that where your harvesting?

1270d

Yes it is eating in a white birch top on the edge of the last strip.  My next strip will pass right behind it

SwampDonkey

Nice moose.

When they cut dad's place there was 5 or 6 moose around the machines all day. The old winter road dad put in there in the 70's (still there) was used as a moose trail and still is. Moose act dumb, but they like trails to. ;D

I had a thinning crew and one of the fellas had a young bull stick around as he was thinning out a strip of aspen and hardwood.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Woodhauler

Quote from: 1270d on December 31, 2012, 07:12:50 PM
Little bit bigger than our standard fare

Keep a eye out, he will be dropping his antlers soon! Will be in one of your brushpiles!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

thecfarm

Nice picture.I went up out in the woods the other day. I saw some moose tracks,small one. I only saw tracks of one. Not many around here. I saw about 6 deer.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Woodhauler on January 01, 2013, 06:40:33 AM
Keep a eye out, he will be dropping his antlers soon! Will be in one of your brushpiles!

Agreed. If you could find that pair of antlers they would be perfect to mount or make something out of.

SwampDonkey

You could get lucky, just finding one, but two (matching pair) almost impossible. I found one in ice (picture on the forum) and even the coyotes had already started chewing on that antler. Tramped all around with tracks. ;)

This fall I found a skeleton, a bear musta hauled a carcass into the thickets. It wasn't there a year ago because the spot where it was I hit at least once a year walking by. I have a tagged tree beside it I keep tabs on.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

Have a friend who has a dog trained to sniff out antler sheds. He has found lots of matching deer antlers and has found 1 or 2 sets of matching moose sheds over the years so it can be done.

SwampDonkey

How many people have antler sniffing dogs in the shed?  ;D

Jeff

Vawy Cwever Swamp Dwankey!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

lumberjack48

I've had to chase White Tail Deer out of the way so that i could fall the next twitch.
One day there were about 15 eating the fresh Birch tops. After the wife left with the skidder, i stood still, a yearling kept looking at me and walking closer. It walked right up to me, smelling my wool pants, then he or she heard the skidder coming back and took a few steps so that its tail was flicking bark an forth hitting me in the side. As soon as it seen the skidder it bounded off back with the rest of them. That yearling gave me a bad time the rest of the day. It was like trying to keep a dog out of the way. These are the kind of times a guy never forgets.

I found the biggest set of deer horns i've ever seen when logging by Cutfoot Sioux. I was limbing out a Norway and i stumbled on something. I looked down kicking the dead grass out of the way and there laid a rack of horns. It looked like he stuck them in the ground and they fell off together. This was back in 1970, i was up town and heard a guy bragging about a set of horns he had. I went out to the pickup and got my set, the base was 3 inch's, point count was 23. When the hunters saw the rack, they couldn't believe how big they were. They all wanted them, i said $100. well buy-em, no way to much money. The guy that was bragging about his set, kind of went over the edge, he had to have them. I really didn't want to sell them, this guy was begging the guys he was with for the money. He was going around the pub asking everybody if he could barrow money. Darn if he didn't finely get, this is back when a glass of beer was 10 cents, bottle 25 cents.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: lumberjack48 on January 01, 2013, 03:18:58 PM
he or she heard the skidder coming back and took a few steps so that its tail was flicking bark an forth hitting me in the side.

Didn't cha know a white tail doe deer has a longer tail than a buck? The little details. ;D

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 01, 2013, 12:24:03 PM
How many people have antler sniffing dogs in the shed?  ;D

Got to know the right people  :D. I know of 4 people with dogs within a 100 mile radius of here. And I live in the middle of no where.

SwampDonkey

You've obviously never been to NB. But, I've been to MI. ;D

chevytaHOE5674

Been to NB its a little more "middle of no where" than here but not much. ha

SwampDonkey

:D :D Wwhen you take population density into account, she's pretty sparse. You was only along the river valley(s).

Slab Slicer

I recently heard that if your felling trees, the deer will come around just to eat the upper branches / bud, ad so forth. I never knew that. I'm sure it's old news around here though.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

1270d

There s always some moose in the area.  Deer too, but they are far more skittish of the equipment. 

Im sure its like a buffet when they can eat in our fresh clearcuts.  But on the bad side, the moose are wreaking havoc on the hardwood regen. 

Another favorite is flying squirrels.  They are a hoot to watch, zipping around like they do.  They seem to usually live in over mature aspen.

It always makes my day more enjoyable when there are animals to watch. 

JDeere

A couple years ago we were logging along the Maine-New Hampshire border and the snow was butt deep on an 8' indian. I swear it snowed every 12 hours. We would go out with a twitch and the moose would come in and start eating the tops we left. We would come back and they would scatter. We were near a mountain ( I think it was Black Mountain) and it was supposed to be the largest moose yard in New England.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

loggah

The deeper the snow the more the deer and moose are in the way!! from my experiences they like Yellow Birch tops best of all. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

thecfarm

I see more deer on my tractor than walking. They know the tractor is food for them, Most times I am cutting wood. last year I was cutting in the bog. I would haul a twitch out,maybe 500 feet,with in sight of the bog,drop it and go back. By the time I got back,the deer would be where I was cutting. They would take within sight of me and wait for me to leave again.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pasbuild

1270d  are you cutting in the King lake area?
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

1270d

Haven't been near king lake in a couple years. This is near republic

Ron Scott

Loggers feed wildlife and improve habitat for many species. The chain saw is a great deer call during the late bow season. ;)
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!