iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ohio Forestry Association Master Logger

Started by Autocar, October 27, 2012, 05:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

A number of log producers in northwest Ohio attended a meeting in regards to starting a Logging chapter and becoming Master Loggers by meeting the standards required by the O.F.A. Everyone that attened the meeting felt about the same way, it would show a professional commitment to our profession. Plus we as producers may educate landowners in the importance of there woodland and management practices. As a logger I always felt if there was going to be a future for the northwestern Ohio logger we were going to have to change our logging practices and educate ourselves plus the landowners. So heres my sales pitch  ;D If your a full time or part time logger and live North of I-70 and west of I-75 and even if your fifty or more miles east of I-75 and feel that this may be something that you would like to be part of you can P.M. me and when we get enough interest I will get back with everyone . Thanks Bill 
Bill

Autocar

Bill

bill m

Bill, I am not in your area but I agree 100% in what you are trying to get started. Your right, loggers need to change their practices if they want to continue to have wood available to harvest. Don't get me wrong there are some very good loggers out there, but there are some who have no regard what so ever for the forest they are working in. It's " Get the wood out as fast as possible and I don't care what it looks like afterwards. Logging isn't supposed to be pretty."
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Woodboogah

I am not near you but we have it here in NH as well as in ME and VT and the response from logger to landowner is positive.  It also gives an avenue for a landowner on the fence about logging their property to see that the logger they are having come on their land is certified, professional, whatever you would call it in your state.  I think its important, that's just my opinion though. 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

lumberjack48

I said this in the 70's why aren't we graded by our work ethics, by the State and Federal. This way a private land owner could call in and get the grade level of the local loggers.
  I known loggers that when they got done with a sale you couldn't walk though it. I couldn't have made such a mess even prosperously trying to do it.
  I heard the State Rangers complain about it, but nothing was done to clean their practice up. They always complimented how nice my timber sales looked after being logged.
  I tried to keep my job clean looking, dropping all the small leaner's and keeping slash low. I was taught this by Federal and State Rangers when i first started felling timber at 12 yrs old. My father told me all this, but the Rangers told me if it wasn't done i basically wouldn't be falling timber. At that age you can imagine how personally i took that.
I kept my landings clean, piles straight, woods clean, in my eyes the job was pretty.

When i was walking down a strip with my father, and i stepped over a limb, he would say, what did you just do, don't ever step over anything, stop and throw it off in the woods. That always stayed with me, i taught my boys the same thing.

I know some called professional loggers i wouldn't want close to my land if i had wood to cut. I called some of these guys Sledge Hammer Loggers. Its a fine line to get the right guy who well care about and respect your property.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!