iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skid steer chains

Started by ohsoloco, December 29, 2012, 10:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohsoloco

After the second snow storm this week I've had some trouble clearing snow with the skid steer.  As soon as I run over an area the machine packs down any left over snow and turns it into ice (on my unpaved driveway).  I'm looking into getting a set of chains for it, but wasn't sure what style to get.  I mainly use the loader for handling logs around the mill, and clearing snow in the winter (mostly on my unpaved driveway, but I do a little paved area for the neighbor).  I'll go with the 2 link type if I get a set of ladder type, but the "European Style Net Reinforced" look attractive from a price perspective http://www.tirechains.com/12-16.5tractor.htm   Wasn't sure if that type would chew up the pavement too much.   Do you think the high strength allow is worth it?  I've found sets under $200 on other sites, but wasn't sure how well they'd hold up.

CTL logger

I ran ladder chains on my case 95xt they were steer chains for my log truck . They gave super traction for not having studs or ice bars on them . 

barbender

I have regular pickup chains on my Case 1845, I got them at Wal-mart when they used to carry them. I think I paid $75 at the time. They work very well, and don't tear everything up.
Too many irons in the fire

jcbrotz

I run the duo-grips, I love them I used to have a set made up for it from old ladder chains and they went ok but not like the duo-grips the ladder style fall into the lugs on the tread to much. When I got mine they did not have the net style or I may have gone with them. If you have a good amount of tread left you may not have great luck with the ladders if the chain fall in to the tread you will still slip and slide.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

ohsoloco

I may have luck with the ladder style, since the tires that I have on it are more of a pavement tire (no continuous grooves across the width).  I like that net style, esp. after watching the video of those guys throwing a set on in a minute or two without jacking up the wheel.

ohsoloco

Alright, now I'm not sure whether the ladder chains will be a problem with falling into the gaps in my tires

CTL logger

I have exact same tires they haven't been an issue.

ohsoloco

That's what I wanted to hear  ;)  I'll check around locally and see if I can get a set.  I went back out today to try and clear a little more snow and I was ice skating...

CTL logger

I had 425 65 22.5 truck chains those look like 15.50 x16.5 tires the truck chains fit almost perfect

ohsoloco

ohsoloco

Picked up a nice heavy set of chains from the local Bobcat dealer--they were the best price AND no shipping charge.  I put them on last night, and noticed that there may be a little clearance problem.  Question is, are the rims reversible (no valve stem on the other side)  ???

beenthere

I believe Bobcat has spacers to put on for more clearance.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ST Ranch

Ohsoloco - I have a Bobcat 873 and had the same problem with clearance. I use an old set of triples from a 3 ton dually and fold them back over to get twice the number of crosslinks. To get additional clearance, I just swapped the tires from side to side [rims are reversable with different offset on each side] - Been working fine for me and provides better stability with big logs with wider stance. - Can be a bit of an issue getting onto a trailer cuz width is now over 7 feet.  - Also remeber to torque up the nuts after running a bit as I find Bobcat will loosen off a bit after changing.  Good luck. Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

ohsoloco

I don't think these rims are reversible after pulling them back off.  The holes that go on the studs are only tapered on the one side, so the lug nuts wouldn't seat right if they were turned around (that's how it looks to me, anyway).  I was able to pull off the one side plate and bend it, and now everything seems to be clearing well.  I only hear a little rub every so often, if it becomes an issue I'll see about getting some spacers. 

Thank You Sponsors!