iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

plans for 2013

Started by sawthemlogs, December 29, 2012, 06:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawthemlogs

whats your plans for the up coming year? are you going to do things a little different?add new equipment? saw more ? for me i am planning a new shop out of laminated beams,7wde 30 tall. got these out of old pickle factory .these where 100 ft long before i cut to length i wanted... more of that later.
   lets hear what you would like to accomplish in 2013 :new_year:
R.D.

gspren

Now that we are retired we like to travel in our 5th wheel off and on in the warmer months and spend the cold months on the farm cutting and burning wood and catching up on projects. In 2012 we hit 18 states and hope to hit more than that in 2013.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: gspren on December 29, 2012, 07:05:13 PM
  Now that we are retired we like to travel in our 5th wheel off and on in the warmer months and spend the cold months on the farm cutting and burning wood and catching up on projects. In 2012 we hit 18 states and hope to hit more than that in 2013.

Way to go GSPREN......Sounds like ya'll have lots of fun.  :new_year:
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

doctorb

I would like to pay more taxes. :D :D   I also would like to inch closer to retirement.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

drobertson

I would like to have my sciatic nerve fixed, and continue sawing and working in the machine shop, but first the nerve, this has to be fixed! :new_year:
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I gotta finish what I have started, so we can host a golly-whopping Forestry Forum Chckin Crispin, continue sawing, and we can take a few vacation trips.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

semologger

I plan on expanding the logging operation more. Can almost say the new knuckle boom a prentice 410 d is in 2013 being only got to run it one day so far. Going to invest in a new cutter next. Like to get away from the 3 wheel shear and get a 4 wheel with hot saw. Going to be cutting more oak pulpwood. Already got a 30 acrea clear cut of oak pulp lined out. Then maybe adding another  skidder also.

thecfarm

I'm going to get all my projects done I started this year and the year before that and the year before that and ..........  :D 
I'm going to work safer and smarter. I'm going to enjoy life more,be it just by myself or with the wife or with friends.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kansas

This is the year of recovery (I hope). After the move, and getting hammered last January through April or so with work, plus trying to do stuff like adding the third mill, wiring lights in, getting the wood waste grinder going, other things, we pretty well threw help at it all. Now we are settled down more. The work force has been pared down mostly due to attrition. No major equipment purchases are planned, except possibly a molding machine. That would be used. We do want to concentrate a bunch on building the  kiln dried lumber sales back up. Got an ad on Craigslist for someone retired who wants to come in a couple days a week to concentrate on the kiln dried stuff.  Most of our equipment will be paid off this next year, or be close. Normally we trade skids steers every two years. I think I will skip that. We just need a breather.

Ken

Although I don't plan on any significant purchases this year I do have to spend some coin on equipment to keep it working good.  New undercarriage for the harvester, tires for the porter, thumb for the excavator.  That should take care of any extra cash.  I am optimistic that the forest sector is set for a bit of a good run.  Sure hope so.  It has been 7 or 8 years without a good bottom line.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

clww

Our plan is to get the inside of the cabin completely finished. We've already put out the invitations for "Thanksgiving 2013 In the Mountains, at The Cabin".
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

davch00

I'm planning on finishing up my cabin, got most of the lumber dried for it, just gotta get all the paneling planed and finished. Also going to build a few cabinets to go in there.

I also plan to inch more to starting my own hobby woodworking/lumber sales business. I've slowly been moving that way for a few years now. I'm slowly getting all my equipment, (I try to pay cash for everything) building up a customer base, and I'm always looking for better, faster, and more productive ways of doing stuff.

Autocar

Haven't thought about it much but if it is good as this past year I will be a happy camper  ;D.
Bill

Ernie

I have decided that I will continue to enjoy looking at the green side of the grass ;D

Anything else will be a bonus.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Ron Scott

~Ron

sandhills

I'm just planning on seeing green grass  ;) it better start raining this spring.

Slab Slicer

First thing on the list is to get the LT-15 portable. I'll be paying a visit to Marty Parsons in the next couple of months to pick up the trailer package. I guess I'll have to call first to see if he has one on hand. I planned a bigger saw, but that came early as a Christmas gift from my wife. A nice MS362. Another outbuilding planned. The first one was suppose to be a woodworking shop, but ended up as storage. I'll be moving storage to the new building, and finally reclaiming my shop. Been milling the lumber for it between other jobs. Finalize our business plan, and start moving some of the inventory I have. I'm sure other things will come along during the coming year. I'll deal with them when they arise.  ;D   

I almost forgot. I want to finally get this beauty restored.

2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

scgargoyle

This year should see us complete (or nearly so) our new house in SC. With any luck, we will become SC residents before the year is out.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Magicman

Quote from: Slab Slicer on December 30, 2012, 10:58:13 PMI almost forgot. I want to finally get this beauty restored. 
What is to restore?  That "beauty" is awesome.   :o   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Slab Slicer

Quote from: Magicman on December 31, 2012, 08:58:41 AM
Quote from: Slab Slicer on December 30, 2012, 10:58:13 PMI almost forgot. I want to finally get this beauty restored. 
What is to restore?  That "beauty" is awesome.   :o   :)

That's part of the debate with Deb (wife) and I. Leave it as is, or restore it to it's original beauty. I'm looking for a place that will do the proper nickel plating. The older nickel had a yellowish color to it. Modern nickel is too shiny. Almost like chrome. Anything not plated is simply a black finish. Nothing high gloss, but not a matte finish either.

Chuck
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Sprucegum

I plan on retiring in 224 days.  8)

Then I can focus more on my woodworking hobby. That job with Kansas sounds interesting but the weekly commute would be a killer  :)

Magicman

Now lets see.  When you retire you will get no more vacation, no more days off, and no more holidays.   ;D

Congratulations !!!

Cedarman

I started practicing for retirement last year.  Took a few afternoons and went to McDonald's for coffee with a friend.  $.52 for all you can drink senior coffee is a bargain.  That works great.  I have actually done that for many years.  Sometimes take a day off and go the library.  Took a week for a caving convention in WVa last July. Plan to go to Pa for one this year.  Went to Pigroast.   Took 3 weeks in Oct to play out west.  Took a week and visited Aaron , Jen and 2 grandkids in Ok for a week over Christmas.  Took an extra day to miss the big snowfall.  Turned out that we didn't need to, but that is ok.  Taking 3 days to stay at a cabin with friends for New Years eve to do mostly nothing except play silly games, watch some football, maybe stay up until midnight if I get feisty, otherwise to bed as usual.  Ian is letting me practice more and more.  Guys at the mill don't seem to miss me too much.  This retirement thing might be alright afterall.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Leigh Family Farm

My goals for the year are:
1) Lose 15 pounds
2) Save $30,000 for a down payment on a house locally or raw land upstate for vacation cabin
3) Pay of my first student loan
4) Finish a Tough Mudder race and run a sub-25:00 min 5K
5) Cook one new recipe for dinner each week

The down payment one, my wife and I are undecided on which way to go since renting an apartment saves us much more money than buying a home does and we would like to have a vacation spot to use year round. The other side is that our rent money each month isn't going to help us establish equity...dilemas and decisions  ???
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

bama20a

Go to Magicman's & eat all of his Chicken. ;D  ;D :new_year:
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Thank You Sponsors!