iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I love ugly logs......

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, December 28, 2012, 11:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

A customer brought this log into the mill today wanting some "bonn fire bench" slabs,

Geeeeeeeee........what a crooked log. Turned out pretty good but was a witch to saww. $$$$$  8)

He thought it would look neat for the benches to curve around the fire, I agree, but it took a few tricks to saw it.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

redbeard

I am with ya! I love ugly logs too. There is a beauty inside them
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Jay C. White Cloud

I love this kind of beam, I build with them all the time!!! In Japan they are called "Chouna," Beams (梁チョウナ) If you could market them in Japan you would make good money with them. I'm still trying to figure out how to do it.  I have to fill a 40' shipping container to make it worth a wood brokers time.  I'm trying to sell directly to Carpenters, (Diaku-大工) they can't get them as easily as we can.  Seem strange, most loggers/sawyers wouldn't even bother, and across the world you have folks that would love to have a supply of them.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Magicman

"When life hands you a lemon, make lemonade".  You did good David.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

No one drives hardware in ugly trees,only the prom queens get the tramp metal. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Jay C.,there are companys that have regular shipments of wood to japan,mayby they would include select pieces for a reasonable price.Of course if they find it profitable they would do it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WDH

David,

Say more.  Did you have to rotate the log in the cut?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

Nice stuff in that old ugly log!

Real nice!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

customdave

They say variety is the spice of life!!, David I bet you were not yawning sawing this one ;D 8)...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Magicman

Anyway that looks like a highly valuable walnut cedar log.     :D

I have a Cherry tree that looks like that.....Someday.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

It looks like it would only take 3 of them to get all the way around the fire.

I made some of those of walnut and red oak for signs. They turned out real nice too. Kinda reminded me of the sign over the gate at So andSo's ranch in the movie '' El dorado''.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on December 29, 2012, 07:20:51 AM
David,

Say more.  Did you have to rotate the log in the cut?

Danny, Happy Birthday.

Not only did I have to rotate it, I turned it every which way possible to get it to fit right so I could saw it.

drobertson

Nice work David, real nice, could not help to notice your exclamtion point$$$ 8)   :new_year:
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

pineywoods

I sawed a big cherry log a while back that looked just like that. The 2 inch thick natural edge slabs are stacked in the barn awaiting some inspiration or education on what to make with them ..hint...hint.. ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

bama20a

Quote from: drobertson on December 29, 2012, 09:59:30 AM
Nice work David, real nice, could not help to notice your exclamtion point$$$ 8)   :new_year:
You noticed that too ;D,Yep how would you charge for that? By the hour,BF,?Anyway it did turn out VERY nice.Mark,,,,,,       :new_year:
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: bama20a on December 29, 2012, 11:47:04 AM

Yep how would you charge for that? By the hour,BF,?

I have sawn some really ugly logs before and I know the time it takes to position everything where I won't tear up my mill.
BF was not an option here. We talked about it and decided just a flat rate of $50.00.

Scott was happy to get this log sawn and he will make benches that will curve around his fire pit.

I told him it looked like he was taking home slabs of BACON.  :D

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi Frank C.

You hit the nail on the head.  The Wood Brokers/Dealers always want more of the pie than I think they deserve.  Forester/Loggers/Sawyers bust a hump and risk their lives, then some "fat cat," sitting on his rump wants a piece?  I'm not say'n their all bad, but I have never been able to tell what good they added to the log.  Now with "tech," folks have been cutting these guys out of the "Middle," and doing their own sales direct to consumers.  Many wood manufacturers are going this rout in a very closed systems from forest to consumer.

I just haven't got the capital or time to do what I know would, at a minimum, pay for it's self and the labor behind it.  Part of me just wants to do it for the sake of seeing the incredible work these carpenters overseas would do with it.  At this point, I use almost everything I can get my hands on and see a lot more young timber wrights moving into this Asian style timber framing with the naturally curved beams. 

Regards,

jay

"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

1270d

While we may "risk our lives" and what not those fat cat brokers provide a service.  Most folks don't have the time or expertise to develope and maintain the contacts/network needed to export.  Or even sell nationally.

Jay C. White Cloud

One broker yes, 4 to 8 brokers, no.  The forestry industry has too much "dead wood,"  ;)  in many of it's markets. I don't need someone between me and the logs you want to sell me other than the trucker/shipper, who is doing us both a real service.  The fellow trying to buy logs as cheep as he can get them to ship them some place else, to then be stock piled and sent to another broker, and finally sold for the most they can get, is ludacris.  Brother that is commodity trading, plane and simple.  I have never liked  "wall street," and neither do the likes of Mr. Warren Buffett.

I like the by local-sell local motto, if you can.  If you can't then buy as direct as possible and cut out "dippers."

WDH

Quote from: pineywoods on December 29, 2012, 11:12:09 AM
The 2 inch thick natural edge slabs are stacked in the barn awaiting some inspiration or education on what to make with them ..hint...hint.. ;D

How about some "Bonfire Benches"  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: pineywoods on December 29, 2012, 11:12:09 AM
I sawed a big cherry log a while back that looked just like that. The 2 inch thick natural edge slabs are stacked in the barn awaiting some inspiration or education on what to make with them ..hint...hint.. ;D

If they have "CAT HEADS" in them.....they're worth a TON.  :D

thecfarm

You have made me look at some of my trees differant. Those would look nice at the Veggie Stand next summer. I all ready have a few hollow cedar for flower pots.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scully

Crazy beutiful stuff ! I'd never kick a log like that off the bed !
I bleed orange  .

samandothers

If they have "CAT HEADS" in them.....they're worth a TON. 

How do you get biscuits into Cherry wood?

Thank You Sponsors!