iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TAKE CARE

Started by donny hochstetler, December 28, 2012, 10:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donny hochstetler

Take care out there    I dont know many details but a palletshop that my uncle started years ago about 20 miles from me . The day before christmas an amish guy got his arm cut clear of just below the elbow He was just starting a new shift  just started everything up was by himself just minutes before the crew arrived they got there n couldnt find him looked all over finally found him lying in the parkinglot with his stub stikn straight up they found the arm in the sawdust bin  happened in an edger they were ripping down outs said the onlyway he coulda got caught up in the blades was by removing the top sombody messed up here it almost makes me week just thinkn about this  then to top it all off day b 4 christmas so take care ya all

dgdrls

Sobering story, sometimes we all get too comfortable around tools we have worked with for some time.

Local mill suffered a death when a fellow showed up early, didn't check in, didn't lock out-tag out a saw.
Next worker came in did not check machines and started powering up the whole plant.  I think you can guess from here.

While most of us do not saw in an industrial plant environment our tools are just as deadly and maybe more so
because many of us work alone.

Work smart and with great care
remember tools are replaceable you are not.

DGDrls

Chuck White

Some sobering thoughts for sure!

We all need to just slow down a little and think before we act!

Be careful out there.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

A couple of years at a commercial sawmill here, the owner needed to do some work beneath the bed/deck.  He took a board and propped a lever before crawling underneath.  The prop vibrated loose.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

Years ago my FIL RIP a dairy farmer started his silo unloader not knowing that the hired hand was in the silo clearing a jam. tragic results the guy was only 19.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Tree Feller

Quote from: petefrombearswamp on December 29, 2012, 09:05:36 AM
Years ago my FIL RIP a dairy farmer started his silo unloader not knowing that the hired hand was in the silo clearing a jam. tragic results the guy was only 19.

Tragic indeed. Lockout/Tagout is a must around energized equipment.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Bothy_Loon

I used to work for a big commercial operation.
We had a chipper for chipping the slab wood behind a fence & a gate with a zero speed lock on it. This meant the chipper had to run down to total stop before the gate could be opened.
Our 'hero' was going out with his girl that evening & was in a bit of a hurry so he climbed the fence to sweep up round the machine while it was still running. Brush got caught in the feed & some how he broke his arm. He sued his employers & won. Judge ruled that as the fence did not have a sign saying "Do not climb over the fence" the company was liable for his injuries.
British justice is just amazing sometimes!

thecfarm

Same way here in the states. The lawyers can see 30% they are there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hackberry jake

Less than a year ago here, a guy was unloading his flatbed log truck. He took the boomer off and the logs rolled off onto him. He had probably done it hundreds of times.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

sawguy21

Bothy, a kid I went to school with lost his foot in a silage chopper. Same scenario, too much of a hurry to get chores done on a Saturday night. The company was liable because they didn't post a sign instructing him not to climb over ??? Good grief, what if he didn't read English? Personal responsibility and common sense have to come into play somewhere.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Migal

:( all sad stories as always I hate to hear when one is hurt even when there is no excuse We all just need to step back sometime's and think the job we are about to perform and ask "How can someone get hurt" prior to doing a task that might even have the slightest bit of stored energy around it.
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

captain_crunch

Getting in a routine can be bad news some thing different gets your attention. Repetition causes lack of warrines
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Bothy_Loon

Quote from: captain_crunch on December 29, 2012, 11:53:32 PM
Getting in a routine can be bad news some thing different gets your attention. Repetition causes lack of warrines

Now that, is a very true statement.

clww

+2
All very sad stories. I could add several more here from things I saw, or heard about, while in the military but I won't.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

The company I use to work for would push safety. Lock out tag out,LOTO. Lots of guy would say that takes too long,no one has ever got hurt doing that.   ::)  I'm not a big safety freak but than again I kinda am. They use to say do something wrong,14 times,it just becomes a normal way of doing it. Use to take me longer sometimes to LOTO than it would to fix the problem. But as I use to say,They pay you to be safe. Which would fall on deaf ears. Never forgot the time when a mechanic friend was working on a saw in a pallet mill. He for some reason he said powered the saws down. This was more than 25 years. Everyone was on lunch break. I guess the job took longer than he thought it would and the operator came back and started to push the buttons to turn the saw on. The operator had no way to see the mechanic inside of the saw. They both turned white. From than on he used the LOTO.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!