iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sandy Pines

Started by John S, December 28, 2012, 04:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

A friend of a friend stopped by in early November to see if I was interested in milling some white pines that came down during hurricane Sandy.  At least one fell on his neighbor's property and a couple of others came down on his own plot.  Luckily, no buildings or vehicles were damaged but he decided to take down about a dozen more just to be safe.  I am in the process of milling the logs to use for a timber frame that I plan to erect in 2013.  I am attempting to upload some photos, so here goes.

[img]

[img]
These photos were taken on Dec. 20 and are now covered with 4 inches of snow and ice with more on the way tomorrow.  My mill has just over 80 hours on it, so I am just in the learning mode, but am definitely enjoying myself.
Happy New Year!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

drobertson

John, heck yea!  love it! I first thought you meant pine full of sand!!! I got it now,  good looking work, nice stickering too,  looks like you got it figured out, Happy New Year!  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Congrats on being able to use/salvage these downed trees.

I am still knee deep in Isaac downed trees.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

MM, when it gets to your waist give me a hollar, I will come on down and team up with you  8)
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ohio_Bill

John, Nice Mill, Tractor and White Pine.  White Pine is my most favorite wood to mill. It has no stress and stays straight even on long logs. The knots seem to be sound also. I have made a lot of siding out of it over the years and it seems to hold up well.

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Magicman

Quote from: drobertson on December 28, 2012, 07:08:23 PMMM, when it gets to your waist give me a hollar, I will come on down and team up with you  8) 

Better yet, just plan on coming to next year's "Chickin Crispin".  No work...just eats and visit.   food6 smiley_gossip
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

That will keep you busy for a while. I don't have any white pine that can hit my house. I cut down 2 that was close.I've seen those snap off in the woods 10-20 high for no reason at all. The tree looked real nice. I don't even get the high winds that alot of places get.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

I thought you had an LT15 on a trailer? I guess you must have traded it. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Slab Slicer

99% of the logs I've gotten over the past couple of months were from Sandy, and there are still more to come. The tree service I'm connected with is still cleaning up, and I get offers to haul away logs from other property owners who are anxious to get rid of them. I currently have about 70 logs just from the storm. I'm planning another building for this coming spring, and have most of the lumber milled. Not to mention the red oak, white oak, poplar, hickory, and ash waiting in line. Now all I need to do is find buyers. LOL

John, if you're looking for more logs, keep an eye on craigs list. I found plenty of offers to just haul the logs away. Also, get in touch with a tree service or 2. Alot of them are willing to part with the logs as long as they don't have to haul them. I'm sure you can work out some kind of deal. In the meantime, have a good time milling what you have, and be sure to post some pics of your new building.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

John S

Dave,
I had an LT15 when no trailer kit was available.  I traded it for the LT40 at Marty Parson's place in PA and just started using it it May.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

John S

More photos:

2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Slab Slicer

I picked up my LT 15 around the same time, from Marty Parsons place also. He was at a demo in DE at the time, but his Wife hadled the sale, and also the loading of the mill onto my trailer. I'll be back sometime early this year for the trailer package. With some luck, and some good lumber sales, I'll be stepping up to a larger mill in the future. I didn't want to jump in too big from the start.

Marty and his wife has a great place, and a great staff working for him. All were very helpful, and informative.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

beenthere

Quote from: John S on December 28, 2012, 10:22:59 PM
More photos:

Hope you bucked the dogleg off that log on the forks before trying to make some lumber. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jay C. White Cloud

QuoteI love this kind of beam, I build with them all the time!!! In Japan they are called "Chouna," Beams (梁チョウナ) If you could market them in Japan you would make good money with them. I'm still trying to figure out how to do it.  I have to fill a 40' shipping container to make it worth a wood brokers time.  I'm trying to sell directly to Carpenters, (Diaku-大工) they can't get them as easily as we can.  Seem strange, most loggers/sawyers wouldn't even bother, and across the world you have folks that would love to have a supply of them.

Just posted this on another thread (https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,62847.msg930136.html#msg930136) and it fits here too, those "dog legs," are great natural bracing in timber frames.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Thank You Sponsors!