iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fixin a Snow Thrower

Started by SwampDonkey, December 28, 2012, 12:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Well, I managed to get the 6" moved before the auger gears went. I took the worm drive box apart and found that the flange bearing went and caused the impeller shaft to eat up the worm gear on the auger.

Went to town, that part alone was $75 with taxes, made of brass. Wanted a bunch of other stuff, couldn't find the parts in stock or the right numbers. Went online and found all my parts from my parts list: worm drive, flange bearing, shoes, clutch cable, scraper all for under $150 including tax and shipping. I don't know why I even bothered to go look around here.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

You didn't call me.  ;D That is what I do for a living. Some dealers are very good and will stock fast moving parts and believe me, the stuff you needed is fast moving. Others only order as needed especially for brands they don't sell. What make of snow blower do you have?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

I can look up part numbers for those but can't sell them in the Maritimes.  :'(

SwampDonkey

As far as I know, these are coming out of Moncton anyway from Cormier's.

Woodhauler

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 28, 2012, 12:56:27 PM
Well, I managed to get the 6" moved before the auger gears went. I took the worm drive box apart and found that the flange bearing went and caused the impeller shaft to eat up the worm gear on the auger.

Went to town, that part alone was $75 with taxes, made of brass. Wanted a bunch of other stuff, couldn't find the parts in stock or the right numbers. Went online and found all my parts from my parts list: worm drive, flange bearing, shoes, clutch cable, scraper all for under $150 including tax and shipping. I don't know why I even bothered to go look around here.  ::)
I would buy her a new shovel!!!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

SwampDonkey

The only one here is me. And although I own a few shovels, it just won't do the job. Right now the blower won't, but I'll soon remedy that. ;D

red oaks lumber

like woodhauler said buy her a new shovel! :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

scgargoyle

I brought my snow thrower to FL with us, and haven't had a lick of trouble since! :D
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

SwampDonkey

thecfarm

There are just so many parts out there now. I don't expect a place around here to really have parts. It would cost them a million to do that.  :D  BUT I do expect the part in 3 days. I had trouble with a tractor that way. I would have to wait a week for parts. Once I was down for 2 weeks. I blamed the waiting time on the dealers. Both of them thought it was no big deal.  ::) 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Somebody has the parts, I guess it's Cormier's. Most shops want to do the work on the machines, they get disinterested if your a self doer and they go on with yarns about part numbers changing and can't get them. Go on the internet, and it's not a problem to get parts. It's like magic, the parts numbers never changed and they have them right there. :D ;D

Paul_H

From my perspective as a shop owner,I agree with Cfarm that we can't stock every part and 3 days delivery works well in the busy season but in the slow season that won't happen without a shipping bill usually $10 minimum.

If somebody is a good customer or if there is time available we will spend time looking up obscure parts but it is a service that costs us hours and hours of shop time and many times the customer may decide to cancel or realise the machine is obsolete and the repair exceeds the value.If they have done their own research and have the part number ready then it's a win win situation for all concerned.

I give a 10-15% discount to small time guys that work out of their home and do repairs even though they are my competition as long as they are a regular customer and not just cherry picking.Usually they provide a service for neighbours or friends but they also attract the chronically cranky pennypinchers so that alone is worth 15%  :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Paul_H

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 29, 2012, 02:02:38 PM
they get disinterested if your a self doer and go on with yarns about part numbers changing and can't get them.

Bill,if you get that run around at most places,it could be how you approach the person(s) behind the counter.They might not want your business,it does happen.

SwampDonkey

I always go with a parts list and diagram. If I didn't have one we both would be lost and probably guessing because I'd never know the 16 digit model number and probably forget a lot of stuff.  ;) I noticed they had some cables there that were not factory sealed but a piece of cardboard tag on them with a hand written number that wasn't at all what was in the parts diagram or online. Some fellas are like "here, try this" just to sell it and move off the shelf. When/If I go in I know what I'm after. ;) If they don't want business then I can give my money to someone that does, gladly. ;)

Paul_H

That sure helps.
I rely on member Sawguy21 for parts lookup on Craftsman parts which is a pain for both of us but mostly on him as he has to look through microfiche.Other companies have online lookup which is good.
It's always nice to have a guy come in with the part #  8)

SwampDonkey

Yeah, plus I don't give the folks a hard time. I thank'm and move on. Might gripe a little on price when it's almost double. Expedited is only $10, not $30. :D My brother on the other hand has a big loud mouth. :D

On the time factor, that works both ways and is two tiered for the store and the customer on some things. Because of time spend looking up and no sales. And the guy that comes in to get a saw fixed, lost all them hours, plus the repair bill to pay for at shop hours. Some of us have sparse and parts saws, but rarely to we have two new $1400 brush saws hanging in the garage. :D

Paul_H

I was on the same side of the counter as you for three decades and I remember such things but I never expected a saw shop or any other business to subsidize my business.It was my responsibility as a owner operator to maintain my own equipment be it saws or yarders and loaders.We kept at least twice as many saws as needed because it would have been an embarrassment to shut down a logging operation because we were short a saw or chokers,fuel etc.
We had to pay wages and bills without seeing any money come in until the first log booms were sold months later so $1400 hundred dollars is nothing in relative terms if you depend on one for your income.If you aint making enough,renegotiate your contract or work harder ;)

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Paul_H on December 29, 2012, 07:15:27 PM

I was on the same side of the counter as you for three decades and I remember such things but I never expected a saw shop or any other business to subsidize my business.

I wonder how it would be viewed when a fella comes in and orders a bunch of spare parts ahead before they break down, if ever, at their expense. Whose, being subsidized then? :D

That being said, we do have one saw shop in the area that you would rarely have to order a part for a brushsaw. That's were most go for service.

We had to pay wages and bills without seeing any money come in until the first log booms were sold months later so $1400 hundred dollars is nothing in relative terms if you depend on one for your income.If you aint making enough,renegotiate your contract or work harder ;)

I'm just drawing parallels, pointing out that it costs both sides of the counter in the end when it comes to 'time'.

But, it is a bit different in this situation because the fallers and cutters weren't waiting on that wood money to get there weekly pay cheque this Friday. The bossman was, by waiting for the wood to be delivered and contract filled. The cutter doesn't have a contract, the boss does and the industry sets the rates. Those guys, both company and DNR are like dealing with a fella with his nose stuck in the air.  We have nothing to sell in the end but a service and maybe a used saw. :D

As I said we keep parts, but there is always something you need. ;) We can make claims on parts and things on a GST380 form, but now the government taxes you on that claim next year as income. Now I can't figure out how it's income for the life of me.  This is a Harper thing. ::)

Come on out to Deersdale in the red spruce and rocks for a week. :D

Al_Smith

The internet has opened options than hadn't been prior to .

The one Stihl dealer out of three locally that I deal with sends in orders to Cincinnati twice weekly and usually the wait is no longer than 4 days which I think is good service myself . Now then if it were a wait of two three weeks I've got enough connections I can get them a whole lot faster with just a phone call .

Other stuff ,engine parts , wood working tooling etc I try to deal locally but I will not pay trumped up prices. Plus I have very little patience for some parts people who cannot find parts .If I can I feel they should be able to as well .---grumpy old fart ---

Paul_H

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 30, 2012, 05:14:55 AM

I wonder how it would be viewed when a fella comes in and orders a bunch of spare parts ahead before they break down, if ever, at their expense. Whose, being subsidized then? :D

I would call that good planning.Be prepared.

QuoteCome on out to Deersdale in the red spruce and rocks for a week.

Spent more than a few weeks on a sidehill dragging kinky and jaggered 1"x 24' chokers so Deerdale sounds like it would be a welcome rest. :)

SwampDonkey

Planning yes, I know all about that. ;D

I'm sure working those mountains and sidehills are tough enough out there. I just wanted to hear ya whine a little like a thinner. :D

Paul_H

Well by listening to you I could be a pro in no time  :laugh:
You're a good man Bill.

SwampDonkey

Three days, and I now have my parts.  :)

Paul_H

SwampDonkey

That's cold out there in an unheated shed.  :-\

sawguy21

Al_Smith

:D What's this cold business in an unheated shed from a guy who  likes to sound like a polar bear ? Come on Swamp get those  Nanook of the north clothes on and get with it .

Now you could drag the whole mess down the basement where it's nice and toasty or do it on the kitchen table . On the table you wouldn't have to bend over as far . ;D I'm just full of helpfull ideas as usual .

thecfarm

That Al guy.  ;D  As long as it's not his place.  :D
Good thing it don't usually snow when it's cold,in the single numbers,most of the time. As us cold weather polar bears  :D knows when it's in the single numbers,the sky is clear for the most part. Warmer days are coming. Suppose to be in the high 20's tomorrow.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Warm weather came with 3" of snow last night, was 24. But now dropping fast. Anyway, I hauled the wool leggins on and an old coat and got the blower back together. At the same time put new shoes and scraper on the old girl. Blew out the new snow and parked her. Good for another 12 years, God willing.  And my hands were never cold for a second.   8) ;D

Magicman

It's nice to hear that you are up and running again.  12 more years and that "old girl" will be a "grand old girl".   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

Actually I've got two snow throwers I don't even use simpley because of both a gravel driveway and sandstone sidewalks .They fling stones and scratch  up the sandstone because it's soft .More junk i've ammassed from  a life time of junk yard dawgism .

The 600 foot driveway gets the 1951 Fergusen treatment and the walks get a puff of the Stihl back pack blower and as little shovel work as I can get away with .

I did however find a dandy deal on a two stage I bought for my son .About half what it listed for new and only used twice as the guy was moving to Florida .My son says it will toss the snow a good long distance and a rock about nearly as far .I'm thinking it might be 10 HP or there abouts .I'm thinking it's an MTD also .

Kind of neat it has an electric start which is nice ,just plug it in and push a button .The rope has a snowmobile d-handle and it's good thing because that big single pulls over rather hard .

SwampDonkey

Mines electric start and heated handles.  :) Al adjust the blower shoes and you won't be shoveling gravel. :) I have about 600 feet of driveway to, plus another couple hundred down to the shop. ;D

However, I wasn't stranded. My brother brings the truck plow up once in awhile to play around. :D

Al_Smith

Well I'm going to tell you what if you blew out 600 feet of driveway with a walk behind snow thrower you certainly didn't do it in half an hour .

Yeah of course you can set the shoes up so it doesn't fling gravel a hundred feet but it's just easier to boogie up one side and down the others with that old tractor in third gear just a  scooten .If it's only maybe 4 inchs I stick the old gal in 4th and really get with it .It takes longer to get the old antique started as it does to plow out the snow some times .Sometimes it takes longer to start me as the old Fergy .

Oh they don't make the good old Fergusens any more but then too they don't make any more old Als' .Might be a good thing .  :D

SwampDonkey

If there is 18" of snow, no, not 30 minute. But 4 or 5", yes. ;D You need to exercise your heart some, or it gets lazy. :D

beenthere

SD has a super fast forward gear, and just flies up and down the drive blowin snow.   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

4-5" in 30 min. Not 18" in 4-5 minutes. :D

6th gear is fast enough. :)

Everyone's always in hurry. ::)

Al_Smith

Well now they race just about everything .Why not snow blowers ?

SwampDonkey

Yes, I suppose. I did witness a young lad hook up a brush saw to a bicycle. It was an old Husky 65 cc probably. I think he put up a youtube video, but it's been 5 or 6 years.  ;D

Al_Smith

Another brush saw .Good heavens man that must be the brush saw capitol of North America.

Ha Ha Ha Swamp I landed a real brush mower as I'm ever going to use it .A Whipper by George that's suppossed to be able to cut about 1-11/2" brush .Just what I needed and I had a nice place to park it in the woods with the rest of the treasures . :D

SwampDonkey

I'd sure like to get you out on a  200 acre thinning block for the summer. All manual brush cutt'n, and I'd make sure there were lots of granite boulders to work around. Not the ones you have to walk on, but cut around. :D Even I refuse to walk on rocks and cut. If you get enough boulders on your work strip you might only actually be cutting 3/4 of the area. To make you whine a little harder, I'd put you next the the tree line where the blow downs are buried in thickets. When your wife got ya back by end of summer, she'd see a changed man. Might even have to call the preacher to the house to perform an exercism. :D :D

Al_Smith

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 06, 2013, 04:12:02 AM
To make you whine a little harder, I'd put you next the the tree line where the blow downs are buried in thickets. When your wife got ya back by end of summer, she'd see a changed man.
Oh but I'm already a changed man brother Swampish .Why I've seen the light at the end of the tunnel and a message came to me --let the Donkey of the crown lands be exalted ruler of the brush cutters .

Now just what exactly is crown lands ?Does the King of England still own the land up yonder or is that more of that regional lingo that sounds like Chinese ?
In addition just how pray tell did you think you could connive me to wander up to the eastern coast of Canada and run a noisey old souped up high powered weedwacker for a summer ? I'm some dumb not plumb dumb . :D
Besides that I'd imagine you've got mosquitoes the size of Canada geese .How do they get so large the farther north you go ?Why you'd about need an armed guard with a goose gun to keep the skeeters from carting you away .

sawguy21

Al, come north. Swamp will make a man outta ya. :laugh: Here public land is owned by the crown as in federal or provincial government. It is an anachronism to the days when the Big Daddy in London ran the place.

Al_Smith

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 06, 2013, 08:07:56 PM
Al, come north. Swamp will make a man outta ya. :laugh: Here public land is owned by the crown as in federal or provincial government. It is an anachronism to the days when the Big Daddy in London ran the place.
I'll tell ya exactly what Mr Donkey would do is get me in that danged swamp and the very rare species of northern alligator would dine on my bones if the skeeters didn't got me first .Seeings the skeeters are the size of geese I can't imagine how big the 'gators might  be  and probabley have fur on them like a buffalo  to boot . Big teeth too and hungry . :o

Besides that I don't have a passport and I look like a terrorist .They'd lock me up and throw away the key .

SwampDonkey

Just the type they don't bother asking for a passport. Fit right in with the rest of the bears up here. :D :D

I think with all the cheques the feds issue to all the non producers that lay claim to the place because they made the first tracks over the land chasing rabbits and making cedar bark tea (although I don't know where the iron pot came from ::) ), we're in essence, still paying our share of a kings random. ;)

Al_Smith

Are the brow beaters then in the employees yet of the king as he were ? Are you then also the employee of the king and as such required to get a permit of sorts to run your brush saw on said crown lands ?

I wonder if in violation then of some edict and they checked would that void you of your cheque .Something  to check about I'd well imagine .

SwampDonkey

No, they work for the forest companies who hold lease on the ground to manage it. Government checks compliance of the forest company and company brow beaters keep an eye on operations like harvesting and thinning. Only about 2% of NB is federal land which is in parks, military and reservation land. The province owns 48 % of New Brunswick, so 48% plus 2 % is 50 % crown land. But the feds look after their 2 %. The province owns the minerals and gas under most all the land. The companies write all their own plans and set royalty rates pretty much, so it's a nice little system they got.  I have to read the crown lands and forests act once in awhile to see what government actually does. Not a whole lot, except write cheques and made deposits. :D ;)

Al_Smith

Hmm 50 percent ,how nice .So evidently then the rest of you folks pay the difference from untaxed land held by the crown or powers that be in a manner of speaking and they own all the mineral rights to it all .

Well if you hit a gold mine all I can say it keep it under wraps until you can sneak it out else they get the mine and you'll get the shaft .

SwampDonkey

Land taxes in rural areas are pretty low. On woods land it doesn't about to much. I haven't got to worry too much about giving up the gold. :D

Al_Smith

Well quite frankly although the farmers whine about it land tax for agriculture in Ohio is cheap too .I think in fact for woods lots it might be even less expensive if it's part of a farm .

If memory serves me correctly some tax measures were legislated in the early 80's when the price of farm land escalated and nice 20 to 50 acre plots of prime hardwoods fell to the mighty D8 Caterpillars in record amounts .Had that practice continued  by this time NW Ohio would look like the Kansas praire which is fine for Kansas just not so cool here in the big corn field .

No gold here that I know of either other than maybe in someones mouth installed by the dentist .Down deep in that limestone substrata  though there is oil .

SwampDonkey

They won't touch the oil here until Alberta oil dries up. And I'll be long gone by then.  ;D

Al_Smith

Well then again the oil tsars  know where it's at .They have for years just like that zillion cubic feet of natural gas in northeastern Ohio and South Dakota .It's money in the bank in a matter of speaking .

It just depends on the political climate at the time which can change .For that matter who's to say in times to come they might get hot on coal production which could very well happen with supposedly "new " innovations of less polluting  methods of extracting the heat .Those methods in essence are probabley centuries old methods which didn't carry much importance at the time .

There you go,more mile long coal trains and more ties .

All those old creosote soaked ties by the zillions some wizard will grind them up and burn them in a fluidized bed boiler .In essence recyling them so to speak because trust me a creosote tie burns very well .Fact it would not surprise me in the least if some fat cat isn't already working on that very thing .

Thank You Sponsors!