Timber Framers to gather in Minn. Spring 2013

Started by Rooster, December 28, 2012, 02:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooster

Timber Framers North Central Regional Meeting
Sponsored by the Timber Framers Guild & North House Folk School
Grand Marais, Minnesota, March 1-3, 2013

Is anyone going?

I went to one of these a couple of years ago and had a good time.  I think that it would be great if we had a "strong Forestry Forum presence" at this event,... not only to represent the brotherhood of the FF, but to show that we are in essence producing a large number of timber-framers through the shared knowledge, experience, and inspiration that is found on the FF. 8)

Here is a link in the Events Section of the FF.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,62825.0.html
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for posting the link, and notice.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

jander3

Rooster,

Thanks for posting.  I wasn't aware of this, but I will check it out.  If my schedule allows, I will likely make the trip

jueston

i saw that link on the northwoods website and i will be going.

i haven't met any other FF members before but really look forward to it. 

Brad_bb

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Rooster

Things are looking good...and makin' plans.  It is a strong chance that I will be able to borrow a small tour/shuttle bus for the trip to Grand Marais. It seats 17, but that doesn't include the sawhorses that I am hoping to bring! haha

So, if anyone in northern ILL, southern WIS, or eastern Minn (Or Anyone that can get to those areas by Friday morning (March 1, 2013), and wants to do the road trip with us "in style", Send me a PM.

We will be returning to the Madison, WI area, late Sunday night.

Like I mentioned before...Forestry Forum...Represent!!!

Thanks,

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

Rooster

jueston

i have registered and am going to book a room soon, since i'm sure most of the motels will fill up pretty fast, i looked at the sponsors and found a few small motels that were all around the same price, i will probably stay in one of those, has anyone else already made accommodation? or have suggestions about where to or not to stay in the area?

Brad_bb

swampbuggy

Well I hope Ya'll enjoy my summer home. North House has a great campus and it should be a good time. I could tell you all the good places to go, but the town is small and you will see them all in a weekend. Enjoy!
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

jander3

I confirmed things with the boss.  Heading that way with my wife for the Timberframe weekend; then, we plan to kick around on the Northshore for a few days afterward.  We will be staying in town — within walking distance of  good beer and close to the North House Campus.

mikerat

I'll be going with Rooster and the gang. Better get a Forestry Forum hat from Jeff first. See you all on Friday.

Mike
WM LT28 logrite 30,48,60 canthook, huskys and stihls, Logrite Buck Arch I have met the best people on this site!

Rooster

The "road trip" bus filling up fast!!!

We have lots of neebies making the trip up Nort!!

Rooster

Mike Rowe

Rooster

jueston

Quote from: Rooster on January 22, 2013, 03:44:53 PM
The "road trip" bus filling up fast!!!

We have lots of neebies making the trip up Nort!!

Rooster

you betcha! dontcha know....  :)

bigshow

I wish I was going to this one....the funds I had been setting aside will be used for a concrete pad instead :(
I never try anything, I just do it.

Rooster

Quote from: bigshow on January 23, 2013, 04:01:35 PM
I wish I was going to this one....the funds I had been setting aside will be used for a concrete pad instead :(

Bigshow,

Could you sell some of your tools that you don't need any more?...like a TF Garage Sale? help_me smiley_smash splitwood_smiley
Mike Rowe

Rooster

bigshow

Rooster,

I cant be sure I'm done with them!  I have the bug, just figuring out what to do with it.
I never try anything, I just do it.

jueston

its only a week away now, i hope your all as excited as i am  8)

Brian_Weekley

Wish I was going---sounds like a lot of fun.  I have family out that way and have spent some time around the North Shore before.  Just couldn't swing the trip.  Have a great time and post some photos!
e aho laula

jander3

Rooster,

Any room on the bus?  My wife's plans changed, so  I am looking for a ride.  Call me or pm.

Jon

jueston

jander,

if the party bus is full, i'm driving from st. Paul. I plan on leaving around 2 on friday, and if you can make your way to the twin cities you could ride with me.

pm me and we can hammer out the details, otherwise i will see you there.

Rooster

Hey,

We made it back...safe and sound!!!

Here is a partial overview of our trip.

We took a 17 passenger executive coach bus and we had 11 souls on board.
It took me awhile to figure out how to get the heat running...my toes were frozen.  That's me driving with my gloves and my Norwegian "Grand Pumba" hat...aka  "Neck muffler".

Our group stayed at a rental house on the north shore of Lake Superior called Stille Havet "Quiet Rest".

There were 71 participants at the Gathering up at the North House Folk School in Grand Marais, MN., which put on a week long timber-framing class the week before the Gathering, where students built a traditional Norwegian frame.

Here's our very own mikerat (FF member) in front of the frame.

They had a pizza oven where we made our own supper Saturday night.

All in all, it was a good time...from the showing of the film "Wild Bill's Run", to the much anticipated "show and tell" digital slide show...and even Brad_bb got to showcase his new timber-framers layout tapemeasure!! Hopefully Mike and Brad will add to this report.

Rooster

Mike Rowe

Rooster

swampbuggy

Awe..Looks like dinner at the Gunflint Tavern. And looks like the weather cooperated.
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

Rooster

This is one of Joe Miller's "joint buster" rigs.  He is a structural engineer that specializes in timber-frames and he has demo'd joint busting at the last two north central gatherings as well as some of the TFG conferences.  It was one of the most popular sessions of the weekend...right behind the showing of "Wild Bill's Run".

http://www.ftet.biz/

Rooster

Mike Rowe

Rooster

Brad_bb

Can you spot the FF hat in the joint busting picture?

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Brad_bb on March 07, 2013, 10:47:35 PM
Can you spot the FF hat in the joint busting picture?

Yep, the guy wearing the grey vest.

Thank You Sponsors!