iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

close up sawband and loading log with wich and hook

Started by harrymontana, December 27, 2012, 07:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harrymontana

Last post I got a comment that it would be interesting to have a close up of the milling process, in this movie you can see a fine cerejeira log being cut and the operator has two tools: 1) a wheel to tighten the sawband, and 2) a handle to get the cable car with the log on to forward and to get backwards. So this cable car moves while the sawband is in a fixed position. Depending on the operator, the sharpeness of the sawblade and the installation position of the rails you get very good straight boards at quite some speed. Enjoy:

http://youtu.be/VD53baCP4_Y

on this movie you can see the loading of the log on the cable car using a winch and a hook. As you can see this takes some time and therefore the operator prefers to do this by hand. However, this log is far to big and heavy so no choice, but as you can see you need to place the hook correctly with sufficient cable otherwise you run out of cable while rolling the log and it still not on the car.
http://youtu.be/RJDbEzGeVQY
everything on hardwood

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

I like that feed speed, doesn't take long the get the blade through the log, or is it the log through the blade.   ;D

I see the importance of making sure you wrap enough cable around the log before you set the hook.

Great post, thanks.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

I have done that trick turning a monster log on the sawmill using a chain, end tong, and the log clamp.

The crazy thing was that it actually worked.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

steamsawyer

That's what I'm talking about... I like to see the mechanics. That old thing sure runs smooth.

A friend gave me a nice electric winch a while back and that is just  what I intend to do with it.

Nice rig. Thanks for posting the videos Harry.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

harrymontana

yes I know what you mean, and I fully agree, however, mechanics may work in your country but now here, no spare parts, no mecanic ready available and .. sometimes operators damage this equipment on purpose to have a reason not to work while receiving pay.. Yes this happens. Thank you for your close up picture
everything on hardwood

Slingshot

When I had the Norwood Mill I used a an overhead chain hoist to
turn the larger logs. ....

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: harrymontana on December 28, 2012, 09:54:52 AM
yes I know what you mean, and I fully agree, however, mechanics may work in your country but now here, no spare parts, no mecanic ready available and .. sometimes operators damage this equipment on purpose to have a reason not to work while receiving pay.. Yes this happens. Thank you for your close up picture

Harry,

I think SteamSawyer's use of the word "mechanics" was in the form of "how things work physically" rather than meaning a person who works on and/or repairs machines...

Looks like quite an operation you have going there.

Be Careful!

Herb

steamsawyer

Yeah Harry, that's what I was talking about. I like to see all the mechanical parts doing their job. You have a nice set up there. Did you set this mill up, and do you have an idea of its age or when it was built? I like how you can adjust the blade guide on the fly with the hand wheel.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to The Forum Harry  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Thats about the nomal fair for equipment in you neck of the woods I Like It Mate  ;) smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup ;D ;D 8)

My uncles ran Timber frame #1 standard Manual Circ Meadows Mills up in PNG in the 70s to early 80s for the same reasons and I know what the crews are capable of when they dont want to work and thats if they rock up in the morning at all :) ;) :D :D

they where running three mills at one stage and said you looked after the good workers realy well but had to have 20 blokes linned up to do the job of ten as half of them would not come but it was a pita too if they all showed up  :) :) :)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

dboyt

There's some amazing innovation.  Last year, I went out to Hearn Hardwoods in PA.  Their vertical band saw can cut a 6' slab.  It was salvaged from the Philadelphia ship yards where it had been used during WWII to cut planking for war ships.  They updated it with hydraulics & computerized controls.  Interesting thing is that the person who did the design and installation was a young Amish man with a 6th grade education!  He can tell you what every control does, and the hydraulic pressure at any point.  The guy is a genius!  He is also head sawyer.

My technique for turning the big logs on my Norwood portable sawmill is similar, but with hydraulic assist...

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

ely

i use the same principle as that on my norwood only its a small electric winch up in the rafters of the shed,.

Thank You Sponsors!