iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wooden Saw Mill

Started by lowpolyjoe, December 27, 2012, 11:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

Happy Holidays everybody!

Santa didn't bring me a Wood-Mizer or a TimberKing this year, but he did bring me a company mandated week and a half off from work (forced to use my own vacation time   >:()

My recent obsession with this forum and saw milling in general was *just* starting to decline a bit since i couldn't justify the purchase of a mill and my experience with the Beam Machine has been a frustrating afair.  Then last week a wind storm knocked over another one of my trees.  I couldn't let it go to waste so i started thinking about what i could build to help cut some boards with my chainsaw. 

I have no welding equipment or skills so a proper build was not an option.  What i did have was a ladder, a door hinge, some 2x4's and an old skateboard.   With a rough idea of what i wanted, I started building.  A few days later - to my astonishment - i had something that looked like it might actually work.    This video was my first ever attempt at running it through a small log. 

Althought it was a very slow process and there were some problems, the resulting cut was surprisingly smooth.   I'm sure this contraption will not hold up well over time, but hopefully i can cut up the logs i've got laying around the yard and get some reasonable boards out of them.

http://youtu.be/57ogwrcuNx4

Take Care,
Joe

haywire woodlot

Where there is a will, there is a way!
Dave

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: haywire woodlot on December 27, 2012, 12:07:37 PM
Where there is a will, there is a way!

Where there is a will, there is a mill.

I amazed Joe. I'll be the first to stand up and give you a big hand. You did a good job. 8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

Now that's imagination at work.

It really worked nice and you were ending up with some useful boards!

Great job Joe   smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dan_Shade

You can probably make some wood bunks to put between the rungs to keep the weight off of the ladder.  A big log may damage it
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Bibbyman

Just got to see what's inside the log.  One thing about it, you'll never run out of trees to saw.  You've got the dust bug now. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Cutting Edge

A set of wooden shims to act as toe boards might save some waste.  Great Job!!  Good use of the ole' noodle!!!
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

hackberry jake

I'm impressed. Nice tinkering!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

lowpolyjoe

Thanks for the encouragment guys.  I'm still waiting for comments telling me i'm an idiot and how dangerous this thing is.  I'm sure they'll arrive shortly  :D

I'm hoping after a few little fixes this thing will be worth the time i spent building it (and the $20 i spent on materials  ;) )

That's a good idea Dan.  The logs i have to work with are pretty small so i don't think the ladder is at too much risk, but see my comment below.  This ladder was left at my house by the previous owners when we moved in.  It has been hung up on the wall of the garage for 5+ years now and this is the first time i've ever used it for anything.  I've got a 'Little Giant" ladder that i use for everything around the house - it's easier to carry around and has a wider, more stable base.

One related issue to your suggestion is that the saw bar won't get any lower than maybe 4 or 6 inches from the bottom of a log loaded onto the ladder.  This was poor design on my part (or should i say "no design").  As a result, i expect i will have to rig something up that raises the log a bit relative to the ladder rungs.   I had thought to run a few 2x4's down the length of the ladder and make something like a trough that the log would lay in and elevate it a few inches.  Supporting the logs from the ground instead of the ladder presents a problem with the ladder tipping over sideways under the weight of my ridiculous wooden carrier.  Guess i could weigh it down in other ways though.

<edit> I think rwthom picked up on my waste issue...  </edit>

Other problem with this first cut was that the saw was not held securely at the desired height and the depth of the cut got lower and lower as i pulled through... sad, as it wasted a fair bit of this log.  Next time i have to ensure the saw height is secure and the bar cutting parallel with the ladder/log.

I'll post some more videos or pics as progress continues with this experiment.

Thanks,
Joe

captain_crunch

Everything has to start somewhere :P :P Now you understand WD-40 = Water displacement 40th attempt ;D ;D
Is there any place local where you can get a good look at a grandburg Alaskan Sawmill. If not I can get you some pics. Their saw mounting system could be built without welding and fairly cheap. I belive anchoring end of bar is going to be nessary. But it appears you are on right track to makeing a worthwile mill. next thing will be collecting an assortment of board scraps to shim log to compensate for log taper. As far as saftey looks safer than beam machine to me lots less exposure to chain. Years back I built a wind mill out of the darndest bunch of junk ever assembled ;D ;D Must have redesinged it 20 times before it worked so don;t get discouraged. Got to admit skateboard Idea is one up on me :) ;)
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

drobertson

lowpolyjoe, not to shabby man, I have only seen a few chain saw mills run, and they look brutal. But still that is pretty cool stuff.  I can only imagine the sawdust that is being burned by some after looking at your design.  have a happy new year,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

clww

That's some creative thinking! I love it! 8) 8) 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

steamsawyer

Hey Joe,

I love it! ;D..They said it couldn't be done but you done it anyway.

That is pretty cool. I like the feed system, simple but functional. It looks like your $20 investment might pay off.

Let's see more videos. 8)

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

samandothers

steamsawyer

Quote from: lowpolyjoe on December 27, 2012, 01:02:10 PM
Thanks for the encouragment guys.  I'm still waiting for comments telling me i'm an idiot and how dangerous this thing is.  I'm sure they'll arrive shortly  :D

One thing about the FF... The members on here are apt to help with suggestions for improvement or safety. But unlike other forums, your friends here are way to civilized to resort to name calling... 8)
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

pasbuild

With the amount of effort put into your mill both building it and using it when you do get your manual band mill it will seam effortless 8)
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

sealark37

At least you are the sawyer from day one, and you didn't have to off-bear for months or years before you got to run the mill.  Good Luck, and Regards, Clark

Tom L

way to go Joe,

looks like it works pretty good

Ga Mtn Man

Now that's makin' it happen. 8) Way to go Joe!

I'm sure you already know this from being on the FF, but there are specialty chains available for ripping that might make it go a little faster.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

drobertson

Well if no one else will say it then I will, this is the most ridiculous contraption I have ever seen, why would any normal person even try such a thing? Clearly it is obvious that one needs an old scafold set for the slabs to go in ;D and an old paint bucket to move the sawdust out of the way ;D   I found myself today trying my hand at rip sawing today with my 362 8)  Got to love a few days off to work off the carbs from the last few days :D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Charles Barnes Sr

Enjoyed watching the youtube post. Amazed at how simple the operation was. Keep up the good work!
Baptist Pastor trying to make ends meet logging.
76 IH S8 Cable skidder
Husky 55
Husky 372XP

customsawyer

That is what I call using your head for something other than holding a helmet.  :D
Very nice work. Every day a person spends milling is a opportunity to learn something.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

NOW that a good job, keep it up smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

shelbycharger400

regrind your chain to a rip pattern,   get a throttle cable from an old lawn mower and make a throttle folcrum!  ditch the hand feed crank, and light feed it by hand.
Id make a few clamps to hold it steady and your feed rate will improve!
You will find that you will cut better by not running wide open throttle, usually only about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.

Take a look at my photos in my gallery.  I built my csm.   

Thank You Sponsors!