iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oregon 73LGX072G chain vs ???

Started by MNBobcat, December 27, 2012, 09:00:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNBobcat

Hi Guys,

When I first got my Husky (562XP.  20" bar) it would actually pull into the cut and I had to hold the saw back.  I've never had a saw cut like that before.  I don't really know what chain came on it.

I'm now running the Oregon 73LGX072G chain.  Brand new out of the box it doesn't pull into the cut.  It cuts well but I'm having to push on it rather than hold it back and in large rounds it seems to dull fast.

Is there a better cutting chain you might recommend for my saw?

thecfarm

Did you buy the saw new? Go back to the dealer and ask them. I ran the same chain as you do, have been for years,except for the 68G,I only have an 18 inch on my 372.It should pull into the cut and stay sharp too.I would not say it's "I had to hold the saw back" sharp. But there are some that really know how to sharpen a chain too. Someone could of be a real good edge on it before you brought it. Might matter on what kind of wood you are cutting too. and where the wood is coming from too. Next to a brook,river will have grit in it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mag Craft

I would think that if the chain is good and sharp and the rakers are set to the correct height that you should get that pulling into the wood.  I like to refer to it as self feeding into the wood and like you mentioned not having to lean on it to get it to cut.   I have used the 73LGX and 72LGX series chain that Oregon makes and always thought it to be good chain, full chisel cutters.   It should work great right out of the box.   

The only other thing that came to mind is that your other chain someone sharpened it to be more aggressive in the wood.

superwd6

I had the same 73LGX on my 576xpg when I bought it. I hated it, didn't know what the difference was but knew I had to file the rakers down first filing so I didn't have to  push when splitting. 2nd chain was what we always used 73LPX -- far better chain for me and what our 288xp always had. Both are listed as chisel on Oregons website but I'll never get LGX again. Husqvarna 48 is LGX and 42 is LPX. Sticker on the top of my 576xp says H42 chain =LPX. Check out Oregons website for pictures of the two chains

drobertson

I'm running the oregon now on my 362. reading many threads on drags(rakers) and the proper depth, which I never check, I was cutting with that self feed action two sharpens ago, today will rip sawing some pine I noticed I had to lean a little more, I fuzzed the drags three strokes, (no gage) so give me a break :-[ and back to the self feed action.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!