iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

So close,I had to use 5-Min epoxy

Started by jamesamd, December 24, 2012, 04:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesamd

I did not think I could get this done before Christmas but I made it,just mounted them at 3:30 pm.
I have'nt sculpted anything in 30 years but was inspired by a workmate,that had made these for His Mom.
It took every spare moment this past week and a half.
They are not perfect but I did'nt break  any fins.That in it's self is a miracle :D
They are laminated cherry,the Mother and one Baby have Q-sawn sides.I did not have enough to do the other Baby too,so it's an orphen.;D
Merry Christmas one and all!!!
Jim

Front

Quarter

Side

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

POSTON WIDEHEAD

DanG Jim....not bad for a rush job, in fact they look very real. Perfect craftsmanship in my book.

Those last minute presents will take a toll on you.  :laugh:

My Mother - in Law lives in Florida and would have a fit for your work.

Again, GREAT job and pics.  :christmas:
David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Tree Feller

That sculpture is wonderful, James. Well done, sir.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Larry

I think it is a peaceful scene.  Beautiful work. :)

:christmas:
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lud

Mighty fine carving.  How much power and how much hand?  Very graceful!
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

jamesamd

Thank You all for the kind comments.

The panic really came on Me,Saturday morning.I was in the finishing process and popped down to the beach to find a piece of driftwood.
When I pulled up to the parking lot,I was faced with 2 NYC Parks Dept.police.I explained I only was looking for a piece of driftwood for a sculpture.I may as well,have been talking to the Gestapo.

I've lived on Staten Island My entire life,(except for 6 Yrs in the service) and never,not had access to the beach.I ended up going to a remote site on the Island and (breaking the law) snuck thru the woods and onto a beach.Only took about 200 yards to find a piece of wood I could work with.

A day or so later I saw this on the front page of the local paper,
http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/12/staten_islands_south_beach_boa.html

What exactaly they think they are protecting Me from,I've no idea.I'm getting pretty sick of Big Brother telling Me whats good for Me!!!!!
If I drank soda and I do not,I'd go out and buy a 32 Oz. glass right now.Pfffffttt,Mayor Bloomberg  ;)

Lud,main wood removal was a 4 1/2" hand grinder,fine work a dremel w/flex shaft and hours and hours of hand sanding.  :new_year:
stages of final work

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Thank You Sponsors!