iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1986 timberjack 240a master cylinder

Started by timberjack 240a, December 24, 2012, 09:37:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack 240a

I just bought a 1986 timberjack 240a with 1800 original hours. I am having some trouble with the brakes. If I push and hold the pedal it will slowly creep to the floor. The brakes work great otherwise. Im thinking its the master cylinder. I have heard that they are the same as a older chevy truck, just not sure what year or model truck it would be. If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
When all else fails, cut it and see what happens.
2016 kenworth t800, rotobec elite, timberjack 240a, deere 450j, kobelco 70sr, mahindra 4035, to many saws to count

lumberjack48

Get the part number off it, then go to a auto parts store. Should pop right up what vehicles uses that master cylinder.

If your not losing any brake fluid, the o-rings are wore out, letting the brake fluid bypass in the master cylinder. A master cylinder kit should fix it.  :christmas:
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

timberjack 240a

Thanks for the help. I will give that a try :christmas: :christmas:
2016 kenworth t800, rotobec elite, timberjack 240a, deere 450j, kobelco 70sr, mahindra 4035, to many saws to count

timberjackrob

Quote from: timberjack 240a on December 24, 2012, 01:16:07 PM
Thanks for the help. I will give that a try :christmas: :christmas:
Thast good advice my master cylinder on my 208 was leaking fluid just sitting still took it apart honed it got new cups and it fixed it just took old ones with me and match them up i think they are same as an old chevy like you said but not sure what model.
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

Dave Shepard

The guys that put the 208 back together in my Timberjack thread went to Carquest and walked out with a new master cylinder. I don't know if they had the TJ part number or not.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

PAFaller

I did similar to Dave, took mine out, went to Napa, and they actually had one on the shelf. THis was a few years back but the one in my 84 240A looks so much like the one that was in my old 81 chevy K20 I had in high school its probably the same. I just picked up a new one as mine was full of nasty fluid and water and corrosion. Other thing to check is the slave cylinders on your transfer case. Same thing, they are out of some type of old pickup and easy to do. Worth the check to have good brakes, especially if you work on any kind of sloping ground.
It ain't easy...

CX3

Easy fix bud. But watch some of those master cylinders ....some take ATF instead of dot3. I burned two up real quick learning that lesson!
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

timberjack 240a

Thanks alot for the help, I think I will pull it out wednesday and head to napa. Happy holidays everyone!

Thank You Sponsors!