iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LOGOSOL Kiln Controls

Started by mdjz, December 23, 2012, 09:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdjz

Is anyone using the new Logosol VT3 2kW Sauno Wood Kiln controls?
What do you think? How good do they work?
MDJZ

Den Socling

Welcome to the forum. There was at least one thread about the sauna kilns but my first search didn't come up with anything. How much control do they need?

mdjz

Thanks for the reply.  I do not konw how much control they need.  It is a set of kiln controls that Logosol is selling.
I need a new set of kiln controls and I was wondernig if anyone had any experience with the Logosol VT3 2kW Sauno Wood Kiln controls
Steve
MDJZ

Den Socling

If you only want to do wet bulb and dry bulb, there are a few manufacturers you can find on the Internet. Some controls are PLC based and others use loop controllers. Both types are good. If you want to get fancier, connect the controller to a computer.

mdjz

Thanks again for the reply.  Bottom line is I have built a kiln and I am looking for a control to run the kiln.
I saw the  Logosol VT3 2kW Sauno Wood Kiln controls for sale at Baileys for $995 and I was wondering if it was
any good. I am skeptical because nyle and others have similar controls for $3000.
Please assume I know nothing about kilns and kiln controls.
MDJZ

Den Socling

That "controller" is for a sauna kiln. I don't know much about them but, from what I can see, I'm skeptical. According to what is said at their website, they start with high temperature. That's is a no no in drying green wood. The steam that is produced is supposed to do something good to the cells. Maybe someone with experience with sauna kilns can explain. A sponsor is a distributor.  But back to your needs, you probably want to control temperature, humidity and fan direction. I thought Kiln Direct had a little PLC that does that but I don't see it at their website. I'd still give them a call.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

What type of kilnl do you have or did you build--heat system, humidity system, size?  What type of controls did you have, as it sounds like you need replacement controls in your earlier message?  What species and thickness will you be drying and what is the starting moisture content?

Probably every kiln today needs heating controls, as the best quality comes from controlling the heat at a certain temperature, although the desired temperature does change, depending on species, thickness, and moisture content of the lumber.  You can purchase a thermostat from a supply house, like Graingers that will work in some cases.  The better control systems will have a precise temperature setting in degrees and even a recording device.  As sophistication improves, the systems have proportional control, etc.  The best would be controlled with a computer.

Next, most kilns need humidity control.  The moisture coming out of hte lumber must be removed from the kiln chamber.  Again, the best quality results when specified humidities are used.  To measure humidity, wood-based wafers can be used and then their moisture content is measured giving the EMC of the air.  (Humidity levels desired can be converted to EMC values.)  Another type at very low temperatures using an electronic humidity measurement sensor.  These have limited life in a hu,id environment drying wood.  Finally, a wet-bulb temperature (a regular thermometer covered with a wet muslin wick with brisk air flow) can be obtained and then knowing both WB and DB temperatures, you can calculate the RH or EMC.

Finally, larger kilns need to reverse the air flow direction, perhaps every two hours, so that large moisture gradients do not develop through the load of lumber.  Timers to do this can be independent of the temperature and humidity controls, but the better systems will have them linked so that while the fans are reversing, the heat and humidity systems are inactive.

As mentioned, some system record the actual values throughout the day.  THis recording is especially useful if one wants to improve drying, as it lets you know what conditions you actually had int he kiln.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!