iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not too bad for old folks.

Started by Bibbyman, December 21, 2012, 10:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Mary made the run to West Plains with a load of flooring lumber (1800 bf) on Monday.  We wanted to get another load ran this week.  The buyer is closed on Monday and Tuesday of next week and we have plans pending for the rest of Christmas week.   So Tuesday morning I loaded the deck with 9' red oak logs.  We didn't get a crack of dawn start and didn't start making lumber until about 9:00.  We took a quick lunch break and got back to work before we stiffened up.   By 2:00 we had made 21 ties and had our bundle of 900 bf of 4/4 flooring lumber – almost 1900 bf of sawing.

After a coffee break,  I went back out and loaded the deck with 11' red oak logs and staged some plump 10' logs to load on later.  I also pulled the blade and put on a sharp one. The weather prediction for Wednesday afternoon was trending bad with Thursday just awful. 

Wednesday morning, having set up the afternoon before, we got a quick start with first slab pulled at 8:05.  At 11:15 Mary was throwing the bands around 900 bf of flooring lumber.  We'd produced 16 10' and 11' 6x8 beams - for over 1500 bf in three hours of sawing.

Looks like we were sawing about 500 bf/hour.  One could say there is a bit of cheating in the numbers by including the board feet in the ties and beams.  But once the log is down to a cant,  it wouldn't take too much longer to break it on down to lumber.

It's a good thing we jumped in and got-it-done as the weather did turn just awful on Thursday.  It was not a fit day out for man nor beast.  The wind was hitting 40mph sustained and gusting higher with blowing snow.

Mary's off to West Plains with the load right now.  I'm just getting some things ready for Christmas shutdown.

One side note,  sometimes you just get a blade that cuts and cuts and keeps on cutting. We sawed all morning on the one blade.  It cut super well right up to the last log and still cut true but I had to slow down.  I would have changed it but we were all but done.  It was a blade I'd sharpened about 5 times,  I'm guessing.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Ga Mtn Man

There's a good reason she's called "Pro-sawyer". 8)  My complements to your blade-sharpening guy. ;)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

drobertson

Awsome work bibby! and yesterday was brutal! yall have a Merry Christmas !  Oh yea, I have had blades work like that as well, they are cutting so good, you just hate to take them off,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

Good to hear you can still getRdun.

Many members here know what work you had to do.

:christmas:
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WmFritz

I need a nap after reading Bibbymans post.   zzzz_smiley
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

OneWithWood

You and Mary rock !

Yesterday was brutal with up to 50mph gusts blowing through the barn.  I only got 550 bf of cherry and ash sawn before I threw in the towel (which promptly got wrapped around the mill )
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Magicman

Bibby, you were and still are an inspiration to me.  There is a lot of pride that goes into keeping on keeping on.  Even for old ole folks.   whiteflag_smiley   Throwing in the towel is not an option....yet.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Good job Bibby & Mary!  :christmas:
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

hackberry jake

Now that's keeping the blade in the wood! I have a feeling I would learn a thing or two if I were a fly on the wall at your mill for a day. If I put out around 600bf a day my back lets me know about it for the next three.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bibbyman

Quote from: thecfarm on December 21, 2012, 03:08:20 PM
You 2 still have it.  ;D

We still have it but not as much off it.  Seems like we go so long then hit a wall and have to stop.  We've had days, even this year, where we've sawn more in one day.  Wasn't that long ago we would run about all day and produce a good bit more.  2500 bf wasn't that uncommon - day after day.  But now one hard day has to be followed by a softer day to recoup.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

I guess everyone gets blades that perform better than others and blades out of the same batch that tend to not do so well.  What I don't do is segregate the good from the not so good and then go back and try to figure out why one does better than another.

Well,  I did hang this "good" blade on another nail.  Tuesday we'd used three blades.  One had time on it when we started so we really used two and a bit blades to saw the same amount of footage of flooring lumber as the one blade did on Wednesday.

The "good" blade measured .910 from back of blade to bottom of gullet.   The others were wider.  Two by only a little and the widest at .940. 

The set on the "good" blade was about .018 with some teeth a little less and some a little more.  The set averaged the same from side to side. This was after use.  Two of the other three had about the same set.   The wider blade had a little more set at about .020.  Again, this was after they were used.   I try to set about .022.  If I'm getting .020-.024,  I'll go with that.

The logs were all red oak with a mixture of fresh, standing dead, and a few with a couple months age.   Many of the logs were pretty clean but some had mud packed on them.  We cleaned the dried dirt off the ends of several before sawing.   About "run of the mill" sawlogs.

All the blades were Wood-Mizer DoubleHard .045x1.25 by 7 sharpened several times on the CBN sharpener.

I don't know if I learned anything.   I can see no defects in any of the blades.  Sometimes I have found a twist in a blade.  I sometimes have blades that have been yanked off on return and are warped and I've attempted to straighten.   Sometimes the blade just hits something right off the bat that you didn't see.
Sawing since '94

Peter Drouin

Thats a great job you did :christmas:
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

hackberry jake

I think some of it might be how straight the two ends get welded together as well. And theres some things we just can't see, like heat treatment differences.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Tree Feller

Quote from: hackberry jake on December 21, 2012, 06:52:25 PM
And theres some things we just can't see, like heat treatment differences.

I don't know diddly about band blades but that was my first thought...the heat treatment was just right on that particular band.

Bibby, I always enjoy reading about the sawing you and Mary do. It's always informative and entertaining, too. Mark one down for the old farts club!   :laugh:
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Ohio_Bill

Wow Bibbyman and Mary , Congratulations.  At that rate if you only sawed 20 hrs per week it would be over a half a million feet a year.  You all have done a great job of maximizing your material handling efficiency. I see you are sawing ties again. I was wondering if you will be hauling them or will they be picked up by the buyer.

Have a wonderful Christmas.

Bill

:christmas:
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

paul case

Not bad indeed. You and Mary must work well together.

I just love it when a plan comes together. Nice work.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bandmiller2

Bibbs,I've noticed the same thing with some bands going above and beyond.I think most likely they led a charmed life and didn't hit unseen grit.Love red oak I can take a band that dives and rises in pine and it will cut perfect in oak,only complaint its so DanGed heavy. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Bibbyman

Quote from: paul case on December 21, 2012, 07:31:59 PM

PC

I'd like to say we work together like Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers dance.  But in real life we're more like Fred and Wilma Flintstone.   I get "the look" about a hundred times a day – when I make a slab too heavy or not a wide enough face or when I make a misscut or leave a toe board up or let a flitch come off wrong and about hit her.  Well,  about everything I do comes under her critical review and judgment.
Sawing since '94

Lud

I know that "look" as I'm on the receiving end of plenty of them from La Boss......but the smiles and hugs and kisses balance them out.

Youare right to be proud of your teamwork and productivity.  Kudos and  :christmas:
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

paul case

Quote from: Bibbyman on December 21, 2012, 10:15:13 PM
Quote from: paul case on December 21, 2012, 07:31:59 PM

PC

I’d like to say we work together like Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers dance.  But in real life we’re more like Fred and Wilma Flintstone.   I get “the look” about a hundred times a day – when I make a slab too heavy or not a wide enough face or when I make a misscut or leave a toe board up or let a flitch come off wrong and about hit her.  Well,  about everything I do comes under her critical review and judgment.

Sounds like you need a hug!  I dont get the look often and when I do i cherish those moments.
It seems like she could get a lot more done if you werent causing her to have to give you the look all the time. Take some well deserved time off for Christmas week.

I envy you  by the way. I wish I had a market that would buy all I could saw. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!