iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mayan Calendar

Started by Magicman, December 21, 2012, 08:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

It's the 21st, the Mayan Calendar ran out, and I am still here.    ;D

And I did not even freak out.   :christmas:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I forgot all about that. Thanks for the reminder. Next date for the world coming to an end will be........???? So I can forgot about it.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Busy Beaver Lumber

That log on the sawmill behind magicman looks kinda similar to that Mayan calender in the comic. Are you picking up where they left off on the face of that log from 2013 on? :new_year:
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Magicman

Well now that you mention it, the face of that log has some very detailed art work on it.  You will have to use a magnifying glass to see it.

I have looked for the original picture to post for a clearer look, but it seems to be hidden in someone else's gallery.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Riggs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsxavPANO8s

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine...." REM
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

pigman

The calendar I picked up at my bank has tomorrow on it, so I am not worried.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

samandothers

Like thecfarm I too forgot about this.  Glad I woke up again looking down at the ground!

By the way was it to end at the beginning of 12/21 or at the end of day.   :o

Ianab

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawguy21

One of my co workers remarked "If the world is gone when I get up tomorrow, I am going to be sorely disappointed". :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WmFritz

I put off all my Christmas shopping just in case it wouldn't be needed.  :P :laugh: :P

If we're still around tomorrow, I guess I better get busy ;)

:christmas:
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Kansas

If I am not mistaken, it is supposed to end at 11:11 am. Anyone know what time zone they were in?

Chuck White

Yesterday one of my grandsons (16yo) was so "into" the world coming to an end today, so I asked him if we could send Christmas presents back!

His reply NNOOOOOOOOOOO.

I was so confident yesterday, I even went out and changed the oil in my mill.  ;)

:christmas:  To all.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

Stacy was wanting to open presents last night just in case it was the end of the world. I told her no, because I didn't want the last thing she experienced before the world ended, to be disappointment.  ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WH_Conley

Well, I guess I might as well pay the electric bill then. :(
Bill

Raider Bill

I'm not sure what the big deal was. If the Mayans were so smart how come there isn't any left?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sandhills

My stepson brought up the question, if we take off and go to Australia on the 20th will we be one day ahead or one behind?  Only thing I could come up with was if it isn't there when you get there I guess you're one day behind  ::).  Oh well the sun is shining and it's a balmy 1* out, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.

Al_Smith

I think the Mayans were smart in some aspects but dumb as a sack of hammer handles in others .They probabley just killed one another off .Bad plan .

Look at the Shakers .Smart ,I think a Shaker woman came up with the idea of the circular saw .Practised abstinance .Pretty soon no more Shakers .Another bad plan not to mention the frustration of the whole thing without TMI.Now come to think about it I kinda wonder if my ex wife might have been a Shaker .That would explain a lot .

Well if we all meet here in the morning it's obvious the Mayans missed the boat some where .

Brucer

Don't blame it on the Mayans. There isn't even an "end of the world" scenario in their mythology. Today their descendants celebrated the beginning of the 14th baktun, or 394 year (144,000 days actually) cycle of the Mayan calender. The previous cycle started in August of 3114 BC so that makes mid December 2012 the point at which the calendar rolls over.

So where did the myth come from? Probably a bunch of people sitting around smoking funny tobacco and making up their own interpretations of things they know nothing about :D.

By the way, the Mayan system of counting time periods has room for another 6 baktun, so you could try starting a rumour about creation ending sometime in 4378 AD  ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

sawguy21

Slim chance of us being here to worry about it. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ianab

The Mayan calendar "non event" was simply the end of the 13th B'ak'tun. It happens every 394 years.

After you get 20 B'ak'tun, you then start a new Piktun, which lasts 7,885 years.

20 Piktun is a Kalabtun, 157,704 years

20 Kalabtun is a K'inchiltun, 3,154,071 years

20 K'inchiltun is an Alautun, which is 63,081,429 years long.

They never got around to deciding what 20 Alautun would be called....  :D
But if they had thought the world would end yesterday, why would they have a 63 million year unit in their calendar system?

Maybe that means the end of the world is 63,081,429 from the start of their calendar?

Or maybe 1,261,628,580 years (20 Alautun) ???

Either way...
QuoteSlim chance of us being here to worry about it.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

martyinmi

My son has a teacher that has been erroniously informing the kids that a lot of the Mayan prophesy's have came to pass over the years. A few children really took what this teacher has said to heart, and were very worried about what might happen yesterday. My son understands the bible's position on false prophets, so he was only slightly concerned about the failed prophesy.

I called him on my way to work at 6:55 am to make him aware just how silly his teacher is and how right our beliefs are, as the world was obviously still spinning. About 2 minutes after I hung up with him, I turned onto the road where I work.
   As I was driving up the road and within 500' of the driveway, the power suddenly went off where I work. It suddenly became very spooky, and an eerie feeling instantly sprang up in my gut. I am head of maintenance on a large dairy farm, and we have roughly 700' of buildings along the road, and there are hundreds of lights that are kept on for a variety of reasons all night long. I have to admit that the first thing that went through my mind was that there may have been some legitimacy to this Mayan thing. The panic only lasted for a second, but nonetheless, it was there briefly. :o
   As it turns out, something blew at a nearby a sub station. We were down just long enough(about an hour and a half) for me to get three generators hooked up to tractors and hooked up the the high line poles and the bigger 400kw at the parlor up and running.
   I guess that incident proved to me that no matter how sure we feel we are about our system of beliefs, they can be momentarily shaken from time to time ???   
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

petefrom bearswamp

Ya mean we aren't all gone and only imagining the mess the good ol USA is in??
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Jeff

I guess what nobody must understand but me is, is that the world did come to an end yesterday, but we got a "do over" starting where we left off.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doctorb

I heard on the radio that the Mayan Calendar issue is really one of translation.  They got the date correct, but the interpretation of the language has been revisited, and it turns out they meant "going over the fiscal cliff" and not the end of the world.  So, in fact, they were right! ;D ;D

(Please do not start a political discussion here.  Intended as a yuck!)
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Chris Burchfield

I tried to find the previous thread about this stuff.  Particularly where I said I say hi to ya'll today!   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Okrafarmer

Still here! I bet you were all hoping I'd be gone!  :christmas:
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Al_Smith

We'd miss ya .Maybe you would miss us .Depends on how you look at it .

Slabs

DanG!!!  Them guys could really count!  Brucer and Ianab ain't doing too shabby either.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!