iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Christmas Cookies!

Started by Jeff, December 20, 2012, 09:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

For some reason I had the idea I was going to make Christmas Sugar Cookies. I looked up some recipes on the internet, and found one I thought I could handle, then drafted Stacy into helping me. I sure am glad I bought Tammy that kitchen aid Mixer. Its great.  Anyhow, Stacy and I mixed up the cookies and stuck them in the fridge until Tammy got home yesterday. While the cookies were chilling, I searched for a good icing recipe. something without raw egg or meringue powder.  I finally just made some using a mix of two recipes. We divided it up and colored it, and then Stacy went to the store and got a couple of things to use as sprinkles. I knew I wanted M&Ms  :D

When Tammy got home, the 3 of us rolled them, cut them out and got them baked. They turned out perfect.  :)

Last night I decorated a few, then a few more after everyone hit the sack, and today, since it was a snow day, we all worked on decorating the rest. :)  As usual, on some of them, I had to get artsy-fartsy. :D  We ended up with over 100 cookies.  :snowman:

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

The college GD came over with a friend to have her Grand Mother help them make cookies. They all had a ball. I just had fun listening to them talk and laugh. They all went back to the dorm. The grand dad only got one. My wife has over 200 cookie cutters. They are mostly hanging up in the cellar stairway. The friend thought the cookies cutters were cool.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Jeff, those look pretty good!  christy has made two batches, but with the boys home on winter break, well, not much left :o  I am waiting for the chinnesse chews, a date kinda cookie, covered with powdered sugar, these have to be cooked in secret when no one will be home, namely the boys!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Boss,

I liked the Vincent Van Gogh ones best ;D.  Maybe you could make some Starry Night sugar cookies  :elvis:.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

The rose is fantastic. Too bad they must all be sacrificed for the better good of your tastebuds.  :snowman:
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Yesterday afternoon was "haystack" making time using Chinese noodles and butterscotch.  Then cookies, and last night was chocolate fudge with Pecan making time.  I did the stirring.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

My favorite cookie and very nicely decorated!

Al_Smith

I work in an automotive engine plant and of approx. 150 assemblers per shift 80 percent are women .Around the holidays some make so many cookies you can't even just sample one from each before you are filled to the gills.

SwampDonkey

Ah, stop your whining and eat. :) :D

Too bad I'm 1200 miles across the local time zone or I'd be over to pick up my cookies.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

It's just as  bad here .Mrs Smith cooks like she's feeding a crew of thrashers . If I ate half the goodies she cooks I'd weight 400 pounds and waddle like a duck .

SwampDonkey

Boxing day we always went to the woods to cut logs and firewood. Some parents and relatives on here been talking about kids coming home for vacation. For me it was a working vacation.  :-X

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

My four kids still talk about spring break being fire-wood cutting time while others went to Disney Land or some other trip.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

My sister Anne makes the most awesome Molasses cookies I have ever tasted. My Sister Lynda persuaded her into giving her the recipe, but cannot get near the same results. Lynda thinks Anne altered the recipe before she gave it out.  So, today we are experimenting. I spent quite some time scouring google images looking for cookies that had the distinctive look that Anne's do. Problem was, the photo that looked most like Anne's is being used on at least a half dozen quite different recipes :D.

So, I ruled the ones out with nutmeg. I am allergic, as well as Lynda, and we never had an issue. I rules out the one with sourcream, (yea, really) because I know Anne makes these at the drop of a hat, so I doubt it has anything perishable. I then ruled out anything with dark molasses, because I didn't think the cookies looked that dark. So, I finally picked one of the remainder because they were rolled in sugar and the others were pressed with a fork.  I'll have to let you know how they turn out, as the oven has dinged letting me know it was at 350°  :)

thecfarm

Molasses cookie dough. I think I like it uncooked as well as cooked. Uncooked molasses dough rolled in sugar. That is some good.

drobertson

the boys are at work, and the chinese cookies are in the making!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jeff

Well, they ain't the same, but they sure are good.

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
  • 2 cups Imperial Sugar® / Dixie Crystals® Granulated Sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup molasses
  • 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans
  • 3/4 cup coarse sugar
Directions

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat
    in eggs and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda,
    cinnamon, cloves and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix
    well. Fold in pecans.
    Shape into 2-in. balls and roll in coarse sugar. Place 2-1/2-in.
    apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 13-15 minutes
    or until tops are cracked. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2
    dozen.

Norm

SwampDonkey

Those look like  a ginger cookie mom always made. I see by the content of ginger that they are. ;) Look for recipes called "hermits" for a molasses cookie. ;)

drobertson

We got the chews done last night, Bret still found them after work, I did put some stops to the cookie monster madness this morning, these have to be the best ever,   

a date fruit, chewy cake type cookie, if you had one you would be sold for sure, :christmas:

Howdy

I have been trying to learn how to do some cookin' and today I made two kinds of cookies, pumpkin spice and shortbread.  I made 48 of each to take to Grandma's house tomorrow for the family get together.

The wife put a prime rib roast in the oven and together we put a real nice dinner on for the two of us.   

All told the day turned out pretty good and we enjoyed the vittles.

Jeff

Stacy and I have started making cookies for Christmas. The Molasses cookies we made today are the best we ever made. I'm not sure they can make it to the big day. :D They really put the krinkle on this year!

Dave Shepard

My mother makes something similar to those, but with a dusting of powdered sugar. I can't get enough of them, even when they've been around long enough to get chewy (er).
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

They are so good fresh out of the oven!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SwampDonkey

mmmm, mom used to make the ginger cookies with some sugar on top. What we cook up here for molasses cookie is a soft hermit with raisins. My goodness I can taste grandmother's hermits right now. :)

Jeff your wicked. :D

Thank You Sponsors!